SiouxSports.com Forum

One Big Happy Family

Fetch

I guess I did not realize how much animosity there is between Football Players & Hockey Players

But I have come to learn that they are not each others biggest fans

I know some of you young guys will say it's over women :)

I also asked a UND Football player about the Sioux Logo & why they have not embraced it like the Hockey team - He immediately got into how the Alerus Center does not feel like a home field because it does not have much, if any, UND Logo or recognition to it (I think he liked the Logo - just it seems to be more Hockeys)

Is the city just being PC ?

I guess I did not realize how much animosity there is between Football Players & Hockey Players

But I have come to learn that they are not each others biggest fans

I know some of you young guys will say it's over women :)

I also asked a UND Football player about the Sioux Logo & why they have not embraced it like the Hockey team - He immediately got into how the Alerus Center does not feel like a home field because it does not have much, if any, UND Logo or recognition to it (I think he liked the Logo - just it seems to be more Hockeys)

Is the city just being PC ?

Well it is two different tiers of atheletics. That probably causes some friction. The hockey players are going pro or at least able to compete against players that will. The football players have to study. ;)

And the football players would naturally somewhat resent the extra attention the hockey guys get.

As far as the logo, I think they should figure out some ways to customize the Al for home games and take them down for other events. Just my opinion of course.

Well it is two different tiers of atheletics. That probably causes some friction. The hockey players are going pro or at least able to compete against players that will. The football players have to study. :silly:

And the football players would naturally somewhat resent the extra attention the hockey guys get.

As far as the logo, I think they should figure out some ways to customize the Al for home games and take them down for other events. Just my opinion of course.

I agree. We've had some darn good football players pass through UND, but none really have had the kind of rep, hype, and success as many of their hockey counterparts throughout the histories of the respective programs.

I should link this to the Sioux name page &/or Football page to get other thoughts - especially on the Logo & Alerus ?

I wonder if the anomosity is common at other Hockey schools - the guy I spoke to was never a Hockey fan at any level

I should link this to the Sioux name page &/or Football page to get other thoughts - especially on the Logo & Alerus ?

I wonder if the anomosity is common at other Hockey schools - the guy I spoke to was never a Hockey fan at any level

There's been a bit of a D1/D2 thing going on between football and hockey for years. When I was there in the 70s, the hockey players were much more down to earth than the footballers, most of the footballers had a large chip on their shoulder for some reason. There were little or no options then for a football player to earn anything after college for playing for pay, except a very few individuals that got a shot at the NFL. There are, at least, more options now to play for pay at lower levels of football, just as there are for hockey.

Have no idea how the attitudes of hockey vs. football players are now or have been recently, since it's been 30 years since I was around. Although there were some very good hockey players around in the 70s, only a few went on to make a living playing, very different now with the high end talent the Sioux recruit and many more junior tier II players from both the US and Canada getting a shot.

There's been a bit of a D1/D2 thing going on between football and hockey for years. When I was there in the 70s, the hockey players were much more down to earth than the footballers, most of the footballers had a large chip on their shoulder for some reason. There were little or no options then for a football player to earn anything after college for playing for pay, except a very few individuals that got a shot at the NFL. There are, at least, more options now to play for pay at lower levels of football, just as there are for hockey.

Have no idea how the attitudes of hockey vs. football players are now or have been recently, since it's been 30 years since I was around. Although there were some very good hockey players around in the 70s, only a few went on to make a living playing, very different now with the high end talent the Sioux recruit and many more junior tier II players from both the US and Canada getting a shot.

Those lower levels of football that you are talking about are playing for $200 a week in the arena leagues. When I went to UND the football players were always way cockier and more arrogant than the hockey players. One reason this may be true is that many (not all) of the football players came from small town rural America where they don't have hockey and football is #1 in the town. With many of our hockey players, specifically the one's coming from juniors and programs like Shattuck, there is an increased amount of competition. Hockey also provides international competition for 16,17, and 18 year old levels so there is a realization by many hockey players that there is a bigger world out there than themselves. High school football tends to be much more based on in state level and small towns so there could be a bit more ego in that sense. Obviously there are exceptions, but this is the overall impression that I saw when I was there.

I love UND hockey and wouldn't change a thing about it but......

The UND hockey program seems to be more 'out there' than the football program. I mean, there's meet the team night with autographs given until the last little guy/girl is out the door (if the football team has one, I don't remember hearing about it), there are the auctions, media coverage is way more for hockey than football, after the games the hockey players are at the Moon or elsewhere giving out autographs with a smile and a 'no you're not bothering me' attitude, etc.

Oh, and I bet lots of hockey players played football in high school in addition to hockey. I know Bina, Fuhr, Schneider did because my son played with/against them in both sports. So I can only surmise that this is a case of 'Marcia, Marcia, Marcia'??

I agree. We've had some darn good football players pass through UND, but none really have had the kind of rep, hype, and success as many of their hockey counterparts throughout the histories of the respective programs.

This is well said and is the reason hockey is and will always be number one here.

Those lower levels of football that you are talking about are playing for $200 a week in the arena leagues. When I went to UND the football players were always way cockier and more arrogant than the hockey players. One reason this may be true is that many (not all) of the football players came from small town rural America where they don't have hockey and football is #1 in the town. With many of our hockey players, specifically the one's coming from juniors and programs like Shattuck, there is an increased amount of competition. Hockey also provides international competition for 16,17, and 18 year old levels so there is a realization by many hockey players that there is a bigger world out there than themselves. High school football tends to be much more based on in state level and small towns so there could be a bit more ego in that sense. Obviously there are exceptions, but this is the overall impression that I saw when I was there.

I think that's about how the players were in the 70s. The FB players have often been the small town best athlete, are put on a pedestal for it, and come in a bit (maybe a lot) more arrogant, moreso especially than the small town Canada hockey players, where there was always a wealth of talent to play against from other small towns. Had no idea how little the lower league fballers are paid. Saw on article on Digger and someone else playing for teams in MT hoping to get noticed by the NFL.

I love UND hockey and wouldn't change a thing about it but......

The UND hockey program seems to be more 'out there' than the football program. I mean, there's meet the team night with autographs given until the last little guy/girl is out the door (if the football team has one, I don't remember hearing about it), there are the auctions, media coverage is way more for hockey than football, after the games the hockey players are at the Moon or elsewhere giving out autographs with a smile and a 'no you're not bothering me' attitude, etc.

Oh, and I bet lots of hockey players played football in high school in addition to hockey. I know Bina, Fuhr, Schneider did because my son played with/against them in both sports. So I can only surmise that this is a case of 'Marcia, Marcia, Marcia'??

I believe that the football team does a meet the team night with autographs at the Thursday evening (?) french fry feed before the Potato Bowl... at least I've seen them there doing it then.

As far as football players vs hockey players, I've had classes with both of them and I wouldn't say that either of them are "above" the rest of the campus. All the athletes that I've met or had class with have been down to earth and very willing to give autographs or just chat with fans.

On a Judy's note....

I know a guy that lives very close to Judy's. He pretty much goes there, and has been there, more than half the nights of the week for the last couple years...unless it's Wefest. Anyways...he said he knew cops that were pretty good regulars there. They knew hockey players drank there. Apparently, the hockey players would always get free drinks, and one night there were football players there, and they WEREN'T getting free drinks. This pissed the football players off and they called the police reporting underage drinkers. This turned into the infamous drinking incident. The police HAD to do something if it was reported, which is why they then did do something.

I have no idea if this story is true or not...but it makes sense to me.

On a Judy's note....

I know a guy that lives very close to Judy's. He pretty much goes there, and has been there, more than half the nights of the week for the last couple years...unless it's Wefest. Anyways...he said he knew cops that were pretty good regulars there. They knew hockey players drank there. Apparently, the hockey players would always get free drinks, and one night there were football players there, and they WEREN'T getting free drinks. This pissed the football players off and they called the police reporting underage drinkers. This turned into the infamous drinking incident. The police HAD to do something if it was reported, which is why they then did do something.

I have no idea if this story is true or not...but it makes sense to me.

oh jeez...here we go again :silly:

We're a happy family

We're a happy family

We're a happy family

Me mom and daddy

Siting here in Queens

Eating refried beans

We're in all the magazines

Gulpin' down thorazines

We ain't got no friends

Our troubles never end

No Christmas cards to send

Daddy likes men

Daddy's telling lies

Baby's eating flies

Mommy's on pills

Baby's got the chills

I'm friends with the President

I'm friends with the Pope

We're all making a fortune

Selling Daddy's dope

The Ramones.

:silly::silly:

I believe that the football team does a meet the team night with autographs at the Thursday evening (?) french fry feed before the Potato Bowl... at least I've seen them there doing it then.

As far as football players vs hockey players, I've had classes with both of them and I wouldn't say that either of them are "above" the rest of the campus. All the athletes that I've met or had class with have been down to earth and very willing to give autographs or just chat with fans.

you would be correct, Thursday night at the French Fry Feed is when the Football team does theirs. I would have to agree with your assessment too. I have met and talked to members of both teams and they are really nice guys who are down to earth.