SiouxSports.com Forum

UP Center Grounbreaking

roper1313

Finally after years of HS Hockey being played in the Coliseum ground is being broken on the $30 million dollar UP Center TODAY at 3pm!!! :ohmy:

Can't wait to see it in 2008.

Squirt, Pee-Wee, Bantam, HS, or USHL, I can't wait to sit in a decent arena in Fargo!!!

I know they are reportedly not going to be competing venues, but this can't be good for the folks pushing the addition to the Fargodome. I can't imagine that they won't have other events in this facility besides hockey and with Urban Plains already breaking ground, they will have the advantage. If this goes to the voters, it's all over.

Ground broken on new hockey arena

I know they are reportedly not going to be competing venues, but this can't be good for the folks pushing the addition to the Fargodome. I can't imagine that they won't have other events in this facility besides hockey and with Urban Plains already breaking ground, they will have the advantage. If this goes to the voters, it's all over.

It's going to have ice year around and it's venues like this is why the dome would like to have the addition.

So Fargo is going to finally have a real hockey complex (by any standard excepting Ralph Engelstad Arena). I guess I'm surprised because there have been so many words and so little action in the past.

It's going to have ice year around and it's venues like this is why the dome would like to have the addition.

With five sheets (main arena plus four practice) I'm guessing the "summer time" ice will be at most two practice sheets. It's not cheap to keep ice in the summer, especially when the arena could be used for other events.

If it's going to have ice year-round, why would they list that it can seat 6,000 for basketball/volleyball?

Urban Plains Center & Tournament Facility I would think either of these sports gets a little dangerous being played on ice. :)

No surprise here, but Fargo USHL Franchise Membership Officially Approved

On Monday, July 2 the United States Hockey League's Board of Governors, as expected, formally approved the application and accompanying membership of the franchise slated for Fargo, North Dakota. Ace Brandt Holdings of Fargo will be the parent company of the franchise.

"Fargo is a great hockey town and will be a tremendous addition to the USHL. The Urban Plains Center will be another first-class facility for our league to play in. Someday soon, you will see local kids playing in front of hometown crowds; that will be great to see," said USHL Chairman of the Board Jim Kronschnabel. "We welcome Fargo back to the USHL."

Dean Blais, former head coach at the University of North Dakota (1994-2004) will be the head coach and general manager of the yet to be named team. They are expected to begin play in the USHL's West Division in the 2008-09 season.

You hope so anyway, just wait and see the new addition hinges on one thing and one thing only. What the preliminary costs come back at from the architects that were hired. If they are within the window they talked about it will be built. But you can hope it won't be that's fine.

You hope so anyway, just wait and see the new addition hinges on one thing and one thing only. What the preliminary costs come back at from the architects that were hired. If they are within the window they talked about it will be built. But you can hope it won't be that's fine.

Are you saying that if this goes to the voters they will approve it if the costs are less thatn $35M?

• 3 months later...
Just heard on tonights news (KVLY) that they're going to hold off on 4 of the 5 rinks. Will possibly build them for 2009.

Also, I thought today was the day they were going to unveil the new name of the franchise?

In initial planning the arena was going to be finished for 2009. The USHL was interested in getting their Fargo team up and running by 2008 so the schedule was pushed ahead. Due to some delays in construction and achieving tax exempt status for the organization that will run the arena, only the main arena will be completed by 2008 The 4 smaller rinks will be finished by 2009. Technically that is still on with their initial time frame.

(at least this is the way I have understood everything)

New USHL team unveils team name

There’s a new Force to be reckoned with in Fargo.

The city’s new United States Hockey League franchise unveiled its name and logo on Friday – and the team will be called the Fargo Force.

force%20art%20color.jpg

So much for those who thought UND would change the nickname and become "The Force of the North". It would be a little confusing.

• 9 months later...