SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota to Upgrade Schedule

star2city

Although UND isn't (yet) on UM's regional opponents list, appears Minnesota is rethinking scheduling local IAA's like NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNI, etc:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=166452

It might be about getting walkon recruits (that out otherwise go to IAA's) as anything else.

New Gophers coach Tim Brewster said Tuesday he wants to upgrade Minnesota's nonconference schedule to help attract national recruits and NDSU doesn't fit into those plans. Brewster said he'd like to schedule teams like Texas or Notre Dame for at least one of the Gophers' nonconference games.

"We have to ask ourselves, 'Does NDSU really help us?'" Brewster said during a stop in Moorhead.

It will be interesting to see if the Gophers can upgrade the team to go along with the schedule. I personally Brewster still saying all the right things. If they continue to field below average teams and upgrade the schedule they'll be wishing for the Music City bowl in the Beirman (sp?) Building. THe big powers in the Big 10 (Mich, OSU, Iowa, ect...) still field one regional FCS team.

IMO, when this all shakes out in a couple of years I still think we'll see a regional FCS team each year. For the sake of the four Dakota FCS teams I hope I'm right.

For the sake of the four Dakota I-AA teams I hope you're wrong. I still fail to understand how it is a good thing to be a sacrificial lamb. I don't care about the school getting a big check, I care about the football team getting a win. I'd like to see I-AA teams stick to playing other I-AA teams. If a I-AA team must play a Division I team they're better off playing somebody from a lowly conference like the MAC, not a powerhouse like the Big 10. But that's just my opinion.

SINCE WHEN HAS THE U OF MN BEEN A POWERHOUSE?:silly: CROOKSTON MIGHT EVEN COMPETE WITH THEM!!!!

I was referring to the Big 10 conference as a powerhouse, not the Gophers specifically. The Gophers are a middle of the pack team in the Big 10, which puts them somewhere arguably in the top 25 to top 35 in all of D1. They were down last year, and still managed to beat NDSU in spite of playing about as poorly as I've seen a Gopher football team play in many years. If they were ever going to lose to a I-AA team, you'd think that would have been the game. Even with the stars and planets all aligned just perfectly, the Bison managed to lose that game. With that thought in mind, why would any I-AA want to schedule a game that they can pencil in with 99.9% certainty as one in the "L" column? Unless getting a big check takes priority over winning football games. If that's the motivating factor, I would have to seriously question that program's commitment to winning.

All I can say is "Wow". DaveK, my prayers are with you. Hate is a counterproductive pasttime. If the Sioux lost 10-9 to the Goofs in FB--when they should have won--you would probably be trumpeting in all 4 corners of the state. Open your eyes. Everybody knows that UM should have won that game by 50 pts. If you review your DVR or Tivo you will see that the Bison won that game. They left 13 pts on the field. Take an unbiased look at the tape. I guess it doesn't matter anyway since UM is "upgrading" their schedule to no longer include NDSU. At least we'll get another $350K to add to our athletic budget after this yr's game, which we will win. Next up: Iowa State in 2009.

For the sake of the four Dakota I-AA teams I hope you're wrong. I still fail to understand how it is a good thing to be a sacrificial lamb. I don't care about the school getting a big check, I care about the football team getting a win. I'd like to see I-AA teams stick to playing other I-AA teams. If a I-AA team must play a Division I team they're better off playing somebody from a lowly conference like the MAC, not a powerhouse like the Big 10. But that's just my opinion.

DaveK, if UND wants to survive in DI than you will need a big payday if not every year then everyother year at least. Look at App. St. last time I checked they had a pretty good FCS program, but they still look for a big payday. Those $300K-$500K paydays pay for alot of non revenue producing sports. It's a fact of life, and I think that Bunning and the rest of UND's athletic department would agree.

......why would any I-AA want to schedule a game that they can pencil in with 99.9% certainty as one in the "L" column? Unless getting a big check takes priority over winning football games. If that's the motivating factor, I would have to seriously question that program's commitment to winning.

It takes money to win. There's nothing wrong with exposing our kids to the highest caliber of opponent as we possibly can.

Gene Taylor didn't come off very professionally in his criticisms of Brewster (for answering the "schedule the Bison" questions honestly) on KFGO on Wednesday. Taylor commented that this wasn't the time and place for those honest answers.

I'd argue, no, Gene, it was. Fargo media asked. Brewster, trying to gain credibility with his constituency, had to answer them at that time and in the manner he did if that is going to be truth and reality for his program. That it doesn't align with your (Taylor's) and NDSU's agenda isn't Brewster's problem. If someone's to blame for bringing it up blame the lather you've whipped Fargo media into over the subject. But don't blame Brewster for being honest.

Gene Taylor didn't come off very professionally in his criticisms of Brewster (for answering the "schedule the Bison" questions honestly) on KFGO on Wednesday. Taylor commented that this wasn't the time and place for those honest answers.

I'd argue, no, Gene, it was. Fargo media asked. Brewster, trying to gain credibility with his constituency, had to answer them at that time and in the manner he did if that is going to be truth and reality for his program. That it doesn't align with your (Taylor's) and NDSU's agenda isn't Brewster's problem. If someone's to blame for bringing it up blame the lather you've whipped Fargo media into over the subject. But don't blame Brewster for being honest.

Gene Taylor criticized Brewster or disagreed with him? Brewster hasn't won 1 game yet and you take all his smoke and mirrors as Gospel. Mr. Taylor doesn't schedule games with Brewster, I think Maturi has some input in that area. The game last year sold 63,000 plus and this year will be a sell out. The fact that MN can play a FSC team and get that kind of turnout I don't think Maturi going to turn down NDSU in the future. They have Montana State next year and there won't be 30,000 fans at the dome. Your criticism of Taylor is laughable. In your wildest dreams UND's transition to DI won't go a well as NDSU's has under Gene Taylor.

If you review your DVR or Tivo you will see that the Bison won that game... Take an unbiased look at the tape.

I could be wrong, but I believe the Bison actually lost that game. Take an unbiased look at the tape and you will see a Gopher team that played some of their worst football ever still beat a Bison team that was one of their best teams ever.

UND isn't making a transition to D1, they're making a transition to I-AA. There's a huge difference, as we will find out this fall when Michigan kicks the snot out of Appalachain State.

Dave I'll try to type slow so even you can understand. There is no more I-AA it's FCS for FB only and yes you are transitioning to DI in everyother sport, same as Michigan, Appalachain State, etc. Get IT?

I could be wrong, but I believe the Bison actually lost that game. Take an unbiased look at the tape and you will see a Gopher team that played some of their worst football ever still beat a Bison team that was one of their best teams ever.

I'm curious. Other than your personal bias against NDSU, where do you get the idea that Minnesota played so poorly in that game? The Gophers had no turnovers, only 2 sacks given up, and generally put up respectable numbers. Certainly it wasn't their best game, but it was hardly "their worst football ever."

I'm curious. Other than your personal bias against NDSU, where do you get the idea that Minnesota played so poorly in that game? The Gophers had no turnovers, only 2 sacks given up, and generally put up respectable numbers. Certainly it wasn't their best game, but it was hardly "their worst football ever."

I would say the Gophers probably played "their worst football ever" during the second half of the Insight Bowl. I am sure that 2006 will be a season to forget for many Gopher fans.

BTW...I checked my DVR and for some reason I don't have the Gopher-Bison game. I am glad to hear that the Bison won...

:silly:

Brewster hasn't won 1 game yet and you take all his smoke and mirrors as Gospel.

Uh, no. But I do believe he was brought in to restore Minnesota Gopher football. And I do believe Maturi, the other piece of the scheduling puzzle you mention, brought him in to do it.

The reigning BCS Champion (and the runner-up) played zero, no, FCS/DI-AA schools in 2006. Want BCS credibility? You must have the schedule that shows it. Having FCS/DI-AA schools on it takes away from it. Brewster, and Maturi, know it.

Minnesota probably will seel out the NDSU game next year, but it will not have as much to do with playing NDSU as it wil be the new Coach's 1st year and the enthusiasim that goes with that.

The game was a near sell out last year without the hype of he new coach. There might be more people this year but it will not be primarily due to Brewster. I think that more people are now aware of the matchup and the gopher fans will actually show up this time. Brewster will be a distant third as a reason why people go to the game.

I know this is against my better judgement, but I just can't resist to comment..............

Minnesota probably will seel out the NDSU game next year, but it will not have as much to do with playing NDSU as it wil be the new Coach's 1st year and the enthusiasim that goes with that.

Actually, after 10 years of Mason at the helm, I feel that I could have been named head football coach at UMTC and that alone would have sold out a game against Minnesota State Technical and Community College. At least that is what I gather from my uncle who is a UMTC alum, booster, and season ticket holder. The fan-base was very down on Mason.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=166630

Looks like Maturi is all about playing 1 regional FCS team each year. It's all about the Benjamins and he knows that doing this will put butts in the seats.

Looks good for the UxD and xDSU's

I agree completely. Maturi is a smart guy. Maruri was smart enough to get rid of Mason (despite his track record of fielding winning teams and making bowl games, he was taking UMTC nowhere), and smart enough to get rid of Monson and then convinceing the legendary Tubby Smith to take over a floundering basketball program. He's also spent some time over the past year lobbying the higher-ups at UMTC to reconsider their policy against playing schools with Native American nicknames obviously for the specific reason that he wishes to get UND on their sports schedules. Like I said...........smart guy. :silly:

I think that more people are now aware of the matchup and the gopher fans will actually show up this time. Brewster will be a distant third as a reason why people go to the game.

Considering that Maturi is such a smart guy, I wonder what he and UMTC fans think which is a bigger, more potentially entertaining and profitable rivalry to pursue is: One that dates back one season to a single game, or one that goes back 70+ years and has routinely had conference and national championship implications?

Hmmmmmmmmmm..............................................

Honestly, I live here in the Cities and I'd be shocked if a game against ndsu in anything every sells out here. Despite what bison fans tell you ndsu doesn't get jack squat for attention in the Cities and the only mention I've heard of them since I've been down here is fans of the many other MN schools confusing them with UND. True Gopher fans will tell you it was the game the Gophers almost pissed down there leg and are about as excited for it as a game against Little Sisters of the Poor. Your just another Mason creampuff to them and that's all you'll ever be.

I think the Bison-Gopher game will be nowhere near as close as it was this year because Brewster will actually have his team believing. If you listen to the guy talk, it's easy to see why he was hired. Who knows, it may all be smoke and mirrors, but when you hear him talk about Gopher football and going around the state and talking to HS coaches and making the Rose Bowl, you believe him. I could really care less about Gopher Football 95% of the time, but hearing him talk twice, his enthusiasm is contagious. He's gonna have his players believing twice as much as the average fan and believing in yourself has amazing power. It's also amazing what a coach seeming to be a genuine nice guy can do for fan support.

Last year I would have bet money on the Bison to cover the spread because the Gophers stunk and I knew they would overlook NDSU. Hell I was tempted to call into Sid Hartman's radio show to defend the freaking Bison because he was, not surprisingly, without a clue and said the Gophers would win by 50 or something ridiculous like that. That's how certain I was. The Gopher were lead by a village idiot who could barely motivate his players. The Bison on the other hand were lead by a pretty damn good coach. This year I think it's going to be completely different as the Gophers will be lead by a guy who will easily motivate his players and it will show on the field. It won't be a crushing, but the Gophers will win and it won't be because the NDSU kicker stinks.

I know this is against my better judgement, but I just can't resist to comment..............

Actually, after 10 years of Mason at the helm, I feel that I could have been named head football coach at UMTC and that alone would have sold out a game against Minnesota State Technical and Community College. At least that is what I gather from my uncle who is a UMTC alum, booster, and season ticket holder. The fan-base was very down on Mason.

I agree completely. Maturi is a smart guy. Maruri was smart enough to get rid of Mason (despite his track record of fielding winning teams and making bowl games, he was taking UMTC nowhere), and smart enough to get rid of Monson and then convinceing the legendary Tubby Smith to take over a floundering basketball program. He's also spent some time over the past year lobbying the higher-ups at UMTC to reconsider their policy against playing schools with Native American nicknames obviously for the specific reason that he wishes to get UND on their sports schedules. Like I said...........smart guy. :silly:

Considering that Maturi is such a smart guy, I wonder what he and UMTC fans think which is a bigger, more potentially entertaining and profitable rivalry to pursue is: One that dates back one season to a single game, or one that goes back 70+ years and has routinely had conference and national championship implications?

Hmmmmmmmmmm..............................................

So your a mind reader or do you have special secret info from Maturi. I doubt that Maturi going to go to bat (real hard) for teams with native American nicknames. There's already enough teams around that can draw better or as well as UND. I think the Bison-Gopher game will be a sell out this year, in Maturi's eyes it doesn't get any better than that. :silly:

Just keep your ego in check and remember that NDSU is small-college football. So is UND, so don't try to throw that back in my face. We're both small-time, but only one of us is secure enough with ourselves to admit it.

The mindset down there is that they want to be the next Boise State. Far be it from me to judge whether or not they can do it.

So your a mind reader or do you have special secret info from Maturi. I doubt that Maturi going to go to bat (real hard) for teams with native American nicknames. There's already enough teams around that can draw better or as well as UND. I think the Bison-Gopher game will be a sell out this year, in Maturi's eyes it doesn't get any better than that. :silly:

Sure it does. It's better for Maturi if the stadium is sold out to Minnesota fans rather than half full of the opposing team's fans. He would much rather get his fan base excited and buying tickets, because they will also buy other UMTC stuff which is more money in their coffers. I don't think that NDSU is going to get any Minnesota fans excited. Of course, not even Wisconsin or Iowa has gotten UMTC football fans excited lately. :silly: