SiouxSports.com Forum

pure entertainment...?

The Walrus

On a serious note based on the question raised in your topic....baseball is as fun to watch as any sport, as long as you know what the hell is going on. The people that don't like it don't understand the strategies of baseball. For someone that knows nothing about sports, hockey is probably a little easier to watch.

On a serious note based on the question raised in your topic....baseball is as fun to watch as any sport, as long as you know what the hell is going on. The people that don't like it don't understand the strategies of baseball. For someone that knows nothing about sports, hockey is probably a little easier to watch.

Hmmm.... I've watched baseball since I was 6 years old. I've only been into hockey since I was 18 years old. Interesting thing: baseball sucks to watch. It's boring as all hell. Too slow. If you watch on TV or listen to the radio you have to deal with commentators (trust me, when you are a Cubs fan, this is excruciating). There is very little action in baseball. Most of the time, excitement comes in classless play (rushing the pitcher). Sure, I love great hits and great plays just as much as anyone. But it is so slow and boring to watch that, unless I'm watching it at the ballpark, I don't have time to watch anything more than highlights when it comes to baseball.

what makes baseball exciting for me is the tension in the game.

Any pitch can result in a change of game.

Hockey has some of that because a goal here or there can make the difference in the game.

In basketball there is so much scoring there isn't very much tension.

what makes baseball exciting for me is the tension in the game.

Any pitch can result in a change of game.

Hockey has some of that because a goal here or there can make the difference in the game.

In basketball there is so much scoring there isn't very much tension.

All true.

In baseball EVERY pitch means something. A pitcher obviously controls so much of the game, but only in concert with his catcher, and I love to watch which pitch the catcher selects in any given count, how he reacts to men on base and the whole game-within-a-game that occurs in almost every inning.

No it is not a brazen, barbaric, slam-you-in-the-face kind of game; it is thoughtful, interesting, slower but marvelously athletic sport. I love it, watch 7-8 games a night and really just can't get enough of it.

It's not for everyone especially those who've been raised on Nintendo and MTV and have to have some form of visual mind stimulation every twenty seconds or the ADD kicks in.

I love the pauses, the explosions of excitement, the man circling the bases as the OF scurries to retrieve a ball from the fence, the base coach tossing up his arms to stop the player who ignores the signal for the play at the plate...

Love it.

Sorry, but when the pitcher can take 5-10 minutes just to cycle 30-40 times through his 4 or 5 pitch types and then decide that he's going to look around for hot chicks in the stands... then check the runner....then start a 2 minute long windup... that's tension? The only tension I feel is "WHEN IS HE GOING TO THROW THE DAMN BALL!?"

I agree about basketball. The instant it gets physical, they go to the foul line. Really, the game is full of pu$$ies. Swat the ball, miss, hit the guy's wrist, and they cry for mommy as they shoot two from the line. Christ. :) Mike Prpich would take that wrist slap and give that smile of his and either shrug it off like a mosquito bite or perhaps slap the other guy's nose...with his fist. :wink:

Sorry, but when the pitcher can take 5-10 minutes just to cycle 30-40 times through his 4 or 5 pitch types and then decide that he's going to look around for hot chicks in the stands... then check the runner....then start a 2 minute long windup... that's tension? The only tension I feel is "WHEN IS HE GOING TO THROW THE DAMN BALL!?"

ADD? :)

I'm with The Whistler and shep on this; baseball is a heckuva game. Every pitch, in fact every instant is filled with moves, counter-moves, "do we pitch to this guy"s, etc. For a person to truly appreciate baseball, one needs to watch the constant signs and signals passing around the diamond: from the dugout to the catcher; dugout to the base coaches; dug out to the fielders, and so on.

I'd go so far as to say baseball is the most cerebral among the "major" sports.

Obviously you have a problem with time awareness. :D:wink:

The average baseball game lasts approximately 3 hours or 180 minutes. If you figure 2 minutes after each half inning plus during at least a couple of pitching changes within the innings, that would lower playing time to 140 minutes. Pitchers for each team throw well over 100 pitches in an average game, lets say 110 for this equation (probably low). That gives us a total of 220 pitches thrown. That is an average of 1 pitch every 38 seconds. And the actual number is probably under 30 seconds because there are usually more pitches thrown during that time. So the average time between pitches is approximately the same as the time between plays in a football game.

During that 30-38 seconds, many decisions can occur and be relayed to a variety of players around the diamond. And that doesn't even take into account whatever action occurs after the pitcher throws the ball. The Whistler, shep and mikejm are right, baseball is a great game. The problem it has with much of the younger population is that it doesn't have much for extreme action. It doesn't have vicious hits or constant action. It is a game of planning and decision making. That is why I love the game.

Then I watch football and hockey to release my aggression. :)

Baseball is a great game to watch alone, but it is even better watching it with someone else. The pace of the game allows for dialog... either to teach the finer points of the game to an 8 year old, or debate with your buddies if Grady should have pulled Pedro after the 7th inning. James Earl Jones speech in Field of Dreams about the enduring nature of baseball always chokes me up. Hockey and baseball are both wonderfull sports... they are just watched in completely different ways.

The NBA is for hip-hop thugs... total trash.

Baseball is a great game to watch alone, but it is even better watching it with someone else. The pace of the game allows for dialog... either to teach the finer points of the game to an 8 year old, or debate with your buddies if Grady should have pulled Pedro after the 7th inning. James Earl Jones speech in Field of Dreams about the enduring nature of baseball always chokes me up. Hockey and baseball are both wonderfull sports... they are just watched in completely different ways.

The NBA is for hip-hop thugs... total trash.

I like fact that if you won't watch every play you will still get the jest of the game.