SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Coaches's Show

PCM

Disclaimer: This is a summary of the weekly Fighting Sioux Coaches Show. It is NOT a verbatim transcript of the show. Comments by the show's hosts and the coaches are paraphrased to the best of the author's ability and are NOT direct quotes. This summary contains selected highlights from the show and is NOT a comprehensive account of all topics covered or discussed. This broadcast summary represents the interpretation of the author and is not associated in any manner with SiouxSports.com, the University of North Dakota or US College Hockey Online. This summary MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED without the express written permission of the author.

From the Green Mill, it's the Fighting Sioux Coaches' Show with UND hockey coach Dave Hakstol (calling in from the road) and hosts Tim Hennessy and Scott Swygman.

(NOTE: Apparently nobody on the show knew that T.J. Oshie today publicly stated his intention to return for another season. Hakstol alluded to it, but wouldn

TH: It was quite an honor for Ryan Duncan to win the Hobey Baker Award. At the ceremony, there must have been a thousand Sioux fans there.

DH: I think it was more than that. I was amazed. All three players are great ambassadors for the game. Duncan was the third player introduced and the place went nuts. It was unbelievable. It kind of set you back. Ryan commented that it was one thing he

DH: There will be a couple others.

Duncan and Chorney had already announced their return.

A couple means more than one, so Oshie announced, which leaves Lee as a returnee.

As much as I'd love to see JT back, I don't see Lee leaving and Johnny staying, but stranger things have happened I guess.

Did you read the recap? Hakstol said that Toews and Lee have not made their decisions yet.

Did you get the hint? I think he was implying that the 4 would have hopefully came in as a group...like the teammates/brothers/family they are.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with Toews leaving, but I see where this posters point was coming from.

A couple means more than one, so Oshie announced, which leaves Lee as a returnee.

I don't read it that way at all. Remember, at the time Hak was speaking, he knew Duncan, Oshie and Chorney had already agreed to return. When he said there will be a couple of others, he meant a couple of others in addition to those three. He specifically mentioned Toews and Lee as needing longer to decide. They would be the "couple of others."

Did you read the recap? Hakstol said that Toews and Lee have not made their decisions yet.

Thanks PCM for posting this all year! We all appreciate it alot as many of us do not have the oppotunity to hear it. I couldn't help but notice that Hak stated there would be a couple more decisions that are made public in the near future when they were talking about Duncan and Chorney. We already know Oshie (my 3 1/2 year old is loving it. He can't say TJ Oshie so he calls him TC Woshy) but I got the inmpression from your recap that Hak meant that those decisons were postive ones for UND? Is that the case or am I just being optimistic about Toews or Lee coming back? Thanks again and Woshy for Hobey in 2008!!!

Did you get the hint?

No, I'm old and pretty slow. You better explain it to me. :D

I think he was implying that the 4 would have hopefully came in as a group...like the teammates/brothers/family they are.

Hakstol stated that Toews and Lee would be taking longer to make their decisions. He also said that each case for each player was different.

Does that mean that Toews is staying? No.

Does it mean that it's reasonable to conclude that he's leaving? No.

Is it reasonable to conclude that because every player who might leave didn't announce his decision at the same time as Duncan and Chorney is automatically leaving? No.

DH: It gives everybody an opportunity to get together one last time at the end of the season. The players are out in the community a lot. There are a couple other things our players have put together that will come up in the next month. I

No, I'm old and pretty slow. You better explain it to me. :D

Hakstol stated that Toews and Lee would be taking longer to make their decisions. He also said that each case for each player was different.

Does that mean that Toews is staying? No.

Does it mean that it's reasonable to conclude that he's leaving? No.

Is it reasonable to conclude that because every player who might leave didn't announce his decision at the same time as Duncan and Chorney is automatically leaving? No.

And that's different from what I stated how?

Come on PCM... that is not the way that quote or post was meant.

You know better than anyone that the odds of Lee and JT coming back are about 5% or less and that the others that DH mentioned are the ones already released via the press.

If JT comes back (regardless of Lee's decision) it will be the biggest post-season-post season victory in UND history with only Finley (who is staying according to reliable sources) left to make his declaration.

PCM - If I am wrong - either way - I will buy you any order at the Red Pepper that you wish and do it with a smile! :D

As much as I'd love to see JT back, I don't see Lee leaving and Johnny staying, but stranger things have happened I guess.

I can see Johnny staying and Lee leaving because of all the dumb ass fans that hate Lee because for some reason nobody likes Lee, but they are people who dont know hockey!!!

I was definitely wrong about the Oshie not leaving, but out of every draft pick we have, I could not imagine Lee being more ready to leave than any other one. I don't think he would be best served by going to the AHL right now. (I don't think he has the handles and physicality for the NHL yet). I think JT will have trouble leaving now that the DOT line is going to happen next year if he stays. If he stays and plays next year he has a chance to solidify his spot in college hockey history and get that title on what's going to be a kickass team

You know better than anyone that the odds of Lee and JT coming back are about 5% or less and that the others that DH mentioned are the ones already released via the press.

I'm glad that you're so certain you know what I know. :D