SiouxSports.com Forum

FSSN

Brainerd Sioux

I'm sure this has already been covered, but I am trying to get info on how to get games on TV or else I will have to drive from Brainerd every weekend to watch the skate for 8, anybody have info on Direct TV picking up games or other options.

The major satellite providers only air some of the game. The best route to take is to invest in the independent satellite and get all the home games via that. Iceberg is pretty knowledgeable about that, and there's another thread designated just for that source.

Iceberg is the resident free to air (FTA) expert. PSB used to install the systems (he installed mine in the Twin Cities), but I haven't seen him post lately.

Essentially the minimum FTA system will get you the FSSN, which carrys the Sioux hockey home games and the football and basketball games that get televised. The minimum installation and equipment may cost you $200-300, but once you have it, the FSSN signal is FTA.

I also carry the DirecTV dish and the Sportspack during the hockey season. You will pick up games in Denver, Wisconsin and against teams out east with the Sportspack. Sportspack is invaluable during the NCAA regional.

Hope that helps. You can email me directly if you need more info.

Squirtcoach

I'm sure this has already been covered, but I am trying to get info on how to get games on TV or else I will have to drive from Brainerd every weekend to watch the skate for 8, anybody have info on Direct TV picking up games or other options.

Maybe you should just quit being a cheap wuss and buy tickets and drive each weekend! :D

FSSN should go nationwide...then everyone around the country can follow the countless hours they show their "slide show" during non-hockey events. :D Let's not forget the occasional trivia question!

I think your right.

Should also invest in HD cameras!!!

I think that would be the coolest thing ever to have all football/hockey games in HD. Not sure what the cost of that would be to replace it all, but I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap. I'd pay if they were taking donations! :(

I think that would be the coolest thing ever to have all football/hockey games in HD. Not sure what the cost of that would be to replace it all, but I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap. I'd pay if they were taking donations! :(

Well after we beat the NC$$ in court, instead of using 100 dollar bills as TP in the REA, we can buy HD cameras, but we may be able to do both

Well after we beat the NC$$ in court, instead of using 100 dollar bills as TP in the REA, we can buy HD cameras, but we may be able to do both

that and be able show the time remaining durning a PP or the time on the shot/play clock....but doesn't matter much to me i go to all the games but sure makes my grandparents mad that they don't see the time remaining on those items.

DirecTv and Dish Notwork do not carry the FSSN. The FSSN is a part time channel (we call it feeds). The signal on satellite pops up 15 minutes before game time and goes off after its over.

The best way to describe what free to air is if you remember the big backyard dishes that were 10 foot or more? Well now there is a new version called KU Band which uses a dish 30" in size. Yes you could still use the 10 footer if you want :D

There are 2 systems, fixed (basic) and motorized. A fixed system is aimed at one satellite and that's it. A motorized allows you to scan the skies of all the free channels up there. As squirtcoach noted, a basic system will run you a couple hundred bucks. Check out the systems here

http://sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Satellite-syst...FTA-Systems.htm

Option S-1 would work really good and it would get you the satellite that the Sioux are on. Installation isnt bad for a fixed system. I've installed a few fixed systems for Sioux fans and have a cabin pretty close to Brainerd (Aitkin/Mille Lacs area) so I could help if need be :(

There are lots of Sioux fans that have a fixed system and when the season ended the box gets unplugged until September when the season gets ready to roll.

A motorized will allow you to pick up more. There are a fair amount of free channels up there and also feeds which come and go. A feed can be a news feed or sports feed. Got to see lots of college hockey on it besides the Sioux. Motorized will run about 100 bucks more and take a little more precise aiming to get it tracking the arc.

DirecTv and Dish Notwork do not carry the FSSN. The FSSN is a part time channel (we call it feeds). The signal on satellite pops up 15 minutes before game time and goes off after its over.

The best way to describe what free to air is if you remember the big backyard dishes that were 10 foot or more? Well now there is a new version called KU Band which uses a dish 30" in size. Yes you could still use the 10 footer if you want :glare:

There are 2 systems, fixed (basic) and motorized. A fixed system is aimed at one satellite and that's it. A motorized allows you to scan the skies of all the free channels up there. As squirtcoach noted, a basic system will run you a couple hundred bucks. Check out the systems here

Option S-1 would work really good and it would get you the satellite that the Sioux are on. Installation isnt bad for a fixed system. I've installed a few fixed systems for Sioux fans and have a cabin pretty close to Brainerd (Aitkin/Mille Lacs area) so I could help if need be :lol:

There are lots of Sioux fans that have a fixed system and when the season ended the box gets unplugged until September when the season gets ready to roll.

A motorized will allow you to pick up more. There are a fair amount of free channels up there and also feeds which come and go. A feed can be a news feed or sports feed. Got to see lots of college hockey on it besides the Sioux. Motorized will run about 100 bucks more and take a little more precise aiming to get it tracking the arc.

I had read earlier on a different thread that Qwest was now a sponsor of UND hockey and since Qwest has a deal with DirecTV that next year the FSSN will be on DirecTV...was that all a bunch of BS?

I had read earlier on a different thread that Qwest was now a sponsor of UND hockey and since Qwest has a deal with DirecTV that next year the FSSN will be on DirecTV...was that all a bunch of BS?

I hope they don't get picked up by anybody. FTA is the best deal out there and the picture quality is already close to HD. It's way better than a lot of the national broadcast stuff.

Someone asked that they should go national. Well FTA is national. You can pick it up from virtually anywhere in North America.

Qwest may be a sponser for UND hockey but that doesnt mean anything else. Qwest is a sponser for a lot of teams :D

FSSN is a PART TIME channel. The main reason its on FTA is to get the signal to the smaller cable co's that carry the game. So very uhnlikely it will be on the pizza dish any time soon.

I'd rather have FTA with its clean picture than a pizza dish (Dish/Direct) and their compressed picture

Question: What other college hockey do you get to watch with the motorized version?

well lets see

-Sioux (duh!)

-most Bucky FSN games (games at UMTC excluded...explained below)

-UMTC road games (the home games are fibred from the arena)

-most UMD road games

-once in a while a couple Anchorage or Fairbanks games (road games that they beamed back to Alaska)...this doesn't include the games I got on my old 6 foot backyard dish

-Michigan/Michigan State/W Michigan etc games that FSN Detroit showed

-Mich/Mich State/Notre Dame/W Mich etc games on Comcast local in Michigan

-games on CN8 (East coast stuff but was able to see the Sioux tourney this year)

-Miami, OH, Ohio State on Ohio News Network

-a couple Maine games from the ABC station in Maine

-most of the live ESPNU games

These are just off the top of my head. Most of these have no commercials in them. They just stay at the arena and get ready for the "back from commercial" shot :D

The best way to describe what free to air is if you remember the big backyard dishes that were 10 foot or more? Well now there is a new version called KU Band which uses a dish 30" in size. Yes you could still use the 10 footer if you want :D

Option S-1 would work really good and it would get you the satellite that the Sioux are on. Installation isnt bad for a fixed system. I've installed a few fixed systems for Sioux fans and have a cabin pretty close to Brainerd (Aitkin/Mille Lacs area) so I could help if need be :silly:

Do you know if it is possible to pick up FSSN via satellite in Australia or can you point me in the right dirrection to where i can find out how to get FSSN using a sattelite or other ways.

Do you know if it is possible to pick up FSSN via satellite in Australia or can you point me in the right dirrection to where i can find out how to get FSSN using a sattelite or other ways.

not possible due to a couple things

-the footprint of the satellite pretty much being just the US and Canada

-the fact the earth isn't flat :D

same reasons why I can't get satellites from Europe here in the US

well lets see

-Sioux (duh!)

-most Bucky FSN games (games at UMTC excluded...explained below)

-UMTC road games (the home games are fibred from the arena)

-most UMD road games

-once in a while a couple Anchorage or Fairbanks games (road games that they beamed back to Alaska)...this doesn't include the games I got on my old 6 foot backyard dish

-Michigan/Michigan State/W Michigan etc games that FSN Detroit showed

-Mich/Mich State/Notre Dame/W Mich etc games on Comcast local in Michigan

-games on CN8 (East coast stuff but was able to see the Sioux tourney this year)

-Miami, OH, Ohio State on Ohio News Network

-a couple Maine games from the ABC station in Maine

-most of the live ESPNU games

These are just off the top of my head. Most of these have no commercials in them. They just stay at the arena and get ready for the "back from commercial" shot :D

that sounds fantastic. Excuse me for my ignorance on this, but is it easy/quick to change channels back and forth?

Also, is it fairly easy to move/set up somewhere else. I tend to move every two or three years, so if I bought the motorized version, would I be able to bring it with me to new houses and such?

that sounds fantastic. Excuse me for my ignorance on this, but is it easy/quick to change channels back and forth?

it depends on the satellite. SInce there are about 20 satellites up there sometimes it may take a little bit to move the dish to the other satellite. Most take a couple seconds to move since 5 satellites are real close to each other so it takes a couple seconds.

Also, is it fairly easy to move/set up somewhere else. I tend to move every two or three years, so if I bought the motorized version, would I be able to bring it with me to new houses and such?

it isnt that bad to re-set up. If you move within the same general area the numbers dont even change. Like if you were in GF and for some reason, moved to Fargo, the only thing that would change might be the motor elevation. I set up a system here in Mpls then took it to our cabin near Brainerd. All I needed to do was adjust the motor elevation a smidge and was back in business :D

does anyone know if the webcast will be free agian next year.

Judging from the tone of the Sioux site, and the ads that said free until ...., I'd guess that this will become pay for, as soon as they've deciding the webcasting bugs have been worked out (not a repeat of the dataflix fiasco).

Since it seemed to stream well during the offered freebees, I'd guess we can expect a charge by next fall. The SiouxXtra site still reads "coming soon", and is listed a subscription service.

• 1 month later...

it depends on the satellite. SInce there are about 20 satellites up there sometimes it may take a little bit to move the dish to the other satellite. Most take a couple seconds to move since 5 satellites are real close to each other so it takes a couple seconds.

it isnt that bad to re-set up. If you move within the same general area the numbers dont even change. Like if you were in GF and for some reason, moved to Fargo, the only thing that would change might be the motor elevation. I set up a system here in Mpls then took it to our cabin near Brainerd. All I needed to do was adjust the motor elevation a smidge and was back in business ???

Thanks to iceberg for helping me (through pm's) get my satellite equipment up and pointed at the sat this weekend. Now it's just wait and hope FSSN stays on that satellite, although rotating my fixed system to a different satellite no longer seems that hard, unless it's during a Duktober snow storm :silly: