SiouxSports.com Forum

FSSN

Brainerd Sioux

i dont know if this bothers anybody else, but why doesnt fssn post powerplay times? i hate that

A wise man once told me it has to do with extra bandwidth. Essentially it would double the amount of bandwidth necessary to bring the feed. And that costs $. I believed him.

You just have to pay more attention during the game.

Judging from the tone of the Sioux site, and the ads that said free until ...., I'd guess that this will become pay for, as soon as they've deciding the webcasting bugs have been worked out (not a repeat of the dataflix fiasco).

Since it seemed to stream well during the offered freebees, I'd guess we can expect a charge by next fall. The SiouxXtra site still reads "coming soon", and is listed a subscription service.

For those of us latched to cable, I really enjoyed the service when I used it. Nearly flawless execution ... unlike Dataflix. :silly: If the service maintains at least that level of quality, I'll pay for it.

It'll also give me an extra justification for the iMac I just bought, and my plans to hook it up to the TV. ???

Thanks to iceberg for helping me (through pm's) get my satellite equipment up and pointed at the sat this weekend. Now it's just wait and hope FSSN stays on that satellite, although rotating my fixed system to a different satellite no longer seems that hard, unless it's during a Duktober snow storm :silly:

you're welcome. Always glad to help out. Here's hoping they stay on IA8 this year :0

(and show a few more games...hint hint...maybe some road games too) ???

• 2 weeks later...
Also, is it fairly easy to move/set up somewhere else. I tend to move every two or three years, so if I bought the motorized version, would I be able to bring it with me to new houses and such?

If you are fairly good with wrenches and have a little patience, it won't be too bad. Setting it up with the motor (so you can change channels/scan satellites) is a little more tricky than a fixed dish, but all it takes for a novice is a little time. Don't expect to set your dish and point it a few hours before a game you want to see. Every year, when fightingsioux.com posts the coordinates, I spend a weekend afternoon pointing the dish to make sure it will work a few weeks in advance. To save time, get some extension cords and a 9 or 13 inch TV that you can place right next to the dish as you're "tweeking" it. This will save you alot of time. Do a google search on the net to find what your elevation should be, and after that it is as simple as turining the dish on the mast right or left until you peak the signal on the satellite that the Sioux will be on. Do "blind scan" 10 minutes before the first home game and you should be in business.

If you are fairly good with wrenches and have a little patience, it won't be too bad. Setting it up with the motor (so you can change channels/scan satellites) is a little more tricky than a fixed dish, but all it takes for a novice is a little time. Don't expect to set your dish and point it a few hours before a game you want to see. Every year, when fightingsioux.com posts the coordinates, I spend a weekend afternoon pointing the dish to make sure it will work a few weeks in advance. To save time, get some extension cords and a 9 or 13 inch TV that you can place right next to the dish as you're "tweeking" it. This will save you alot of time. Do a google search on the net to find what your elevation should be, and after that it is as simple as turining the dish on the mast right or left until you peak the signal on the satellite that the Sioux will be on. Do "blind scan" 10 minutes before the first home game and you should be in business.

And, if you don't want to haul a TV outside or on the roof, or don't have a small one. consider this new rather reasonably priced receiver, which shows the signal quality right on the front of the receiver.

And, here's a good download for finding the elevations, azimuth, and skew for a number of satellites, by entering the lat/long for your location. Or, if you don't want to download and install something, here's an online angle calculator.

Visit the forum in my sig for more info on equipment and installations. If you don't own a system yet, you can learn a lot and be ready for an install when you get the system.

Like bincity posted, don't try a last minute install on the day of the first home game, you want to get the system installed and pointed well ahead of time, you'll have questions when you first install it, and trying to do a hurry up job on the day of the first home game probably won't work. Many people on the forums are professional installers and are happy to help you with your questions.

Anyone have a problem with the view from which the games are covered. The PP time doesn't bother me half as much as the fact that the side view camera view is pointing at the penalty box. Every other TV coverage in the world has the benches in the background. This shows the players, coaches and (most importantly) the on-the-fly changes and scrums that go with it. This can have as much to do with the tone of the game as the play/shots etc. Thoughts?

Sad to say, the only reason that this hasn't been, fixed I feel, is due to the architecture of the rink. The camera and media section is on the wrong side. The scouts and agents that I have talked to sit on the side opposing the players boxes if at all possible. That says something.

Anyone have a problem with the view from which the games are covered. The PP time doesn't bother me half as much as the fact that the side view camera view is pointing at the penalty box. Every other TV coverage in the world has the benches in the background. This shows the players, coaches and (most importantly) the on-the-fly changes and scrums that go with it. This can have as much to do with the tone of the game as the play/shots etc. Thoughts?

Sad to say, the only reason that this hasn't been, fixed I feel, is due to the architecture of the rink. The camera and media section is on the wrong side. The scouts and agents that I have talked to sit on the side opposing the players boxes if at all possible. That says something.

It's not unusual, however, for most of the Sioux team to be sitting in the penalty box :lol:

One additional warning. Do not buy a fortec dish; the elevation scale is wrong by a large margin, and that makes it a nightmare for a first timer to point, since you cannot go by the scale, you have to do trial and error for elevation. Several people with the Winegard 2076 say their scale is much closer, so I'd go with that one if I were buying again.

One additional warning. Do not buy a fortec dish; the elevation scale is wrong by a large margin, and that makes it a nightmare for a first timer to point, since you cannot go by the scale, you have to do trial and error for elevation. Several people with the Winegard 2076 say their scale is much closer, so I'd go with that one if I were buying again.

I have found the fortec dishes to be of a higher quality than most. Just because the elevation may be slightly out doesn't mean that these dishes should be avoided. Take a look at the hardware and the fit of the dish compared to others before you make these kind of statements.

I have found the fortec dishes to be of a higher quality than most. Just because the elevation may be slightly out doesn't mean that these dishes should be avoided. Take a look at the hardware and the fit of the dish compared to others before you make these kind of statements.

Actually, I have, at that's why I'd recommend against them. Are you a fortec salesman?

The winegard dish beats the fortec in quality of construction, and, it's made in the US. The fortec "galvanized steel", both in the bracket and dish, is like working with putty. I've never worked with steel this soft. Very hard to believe this is actually steel. Be extra careful when you're tightening things, it will squash easily. At any rate, PSB can give you one of the best deals on a KU band FTA system. I don't know why someone would want to pay slightly more for lower quality.

The fact that the fortec elevation scale is so far off makes it tough to point, especially for someone doing it for the first time. Once pointed, it works just fine (us long as one is extra careful not to bend or squash the steel). For these reasons, I'll avoid them in the future.

And, I prefer the traxis 3500 receiver to the fortec lifetime classic na, and it's cheaper. Both do the job, however. The traxis has a digital quality readout on the front of the box, which is handy to take outside with you to point the dish.

Judging from the tone of the Sioux site, and the ads that said free until ...., I'd guess that this will become pay for, as soon as they've deciding the webcasting bugs have been worked out (not a repeat of the dataflix fiasco).

Since it seemed to stream well during the offered freebees, I'd guess we can expect a charge by next fall. The SiouxXtra site still reads "coming soon", and is listed a subscription service.

Sound like Sioux Xtra will be ready to go on Aug. 1. No info on the charges yet though.

I have a couple Fortec dishes (2 6 footers and a 90cm). The 90cm is nuts on for the elevation (for me at least). The 6 footer has no elevation scale so its trial and error. I have a Winegard too that one has been on the motor for 3+ years. Both get the job done :lol:

Me personally...I prefer the Fortec receiver (but thats just me) I can hit info and see the meter on the TV no problems :D

I have a couple Fortec dishes (2 6 footers and a 90cm). The 90cm is nuts on for the elevation (for me at least). The 6 footer has no elevation scale so its trial and error. I have a Winegard too that one has been on the motor for 3+ years. Both get the job done :D

Me personally...I prefer the Fortec receiver (but thats just me) I can hit info and see the meter on the TV no problems ;)

Unfortunately my dish and TV are not where I can see both. My fortec receiver worked OK with my wife at the TV and me on the ladder, both with cell phones (although adjustments with one hand are difficult) :lol: , but it is nice to take the receiver outside and see the quality on the front of it, if you don't have the luxury of seeing your TV from the dish.

Course everything would be easier with a ground pole mount; trying to see the directions you're pointing when you can't get behind the dish isn't the best setup.

It may be the soft steel that bothers me on the fortec dish and mounts more than the elevation scale. I haven't worked with steel that soft before, it just doesn't seem like steel to me. But the specs say it is galvanized steel?

Unfortunately my dish and TV are not where I can see both. My fortec receiver worked OK with my wife at the TV and me on the ladder, both with cell phones (although adjustments with one hand are difficult) :lol: , but it is nice to take the receiver outside and see the quality on the front of it, if you don't have the luxury of seeing your TV from the dish.

Course everything would be easier with a ground pole mount; trying to see the directions you're pointing when you can't get behind the dish isn't the best setup.

It may be the soft steel that bothers me on the fortec dish and mounts more than the elevation scale. I haven't worked with steel that soft before, it just doesn't seem like steel to me. But the specs say it is galvanized steel?

I use one of those little DVD players to point my dish. They work great and they are about the same size as a receiver.