SiouxSports.com Forum

The TRAP

Fetch

(I decided to make this it's own topic)

The "TRAP" :silly: - Who was it - that said the last four teams, to win the Frozen Four have been "Trap" teams ?

Is there a place that shows & tells exactly what this is ?

- I know Wisco used it too

So why don't we ? (besides it's boring) :lol:

boring hockey I remember Blaiser and I think Hakstol has also said they wouldn't resort to that.

I would hope so it's God Awful to watch. I think UND could win the NCAA title without resorting to playing that style.

boring hockey I remember Blaiser and I think Hakstol has also said they wouldn't resort to that.

I would hope so it's God Awful to watch. I think UND could win the NCAA title without resorting to playing that style.

Very true. I would rather play the game right and not win a title, than play a cheap version of the game and win a title that wouldn't mean as much.

(I decided to make this it's own topic)

The "TRAP" :silly: - Who was it - that said the last four teams, to win the Frozen Four have been "Trap" teams ?

Is there a place that shows & tells exactly what this is ?

- I know Wisco used it too

So why don't we ? (besides it's boring) :lol:

It's full name is the "neutral zone trap," but the term is often used to describe any passive, no-risk, defense-first strategy.

The trap

Sioux have, at times, played a 1-2-2 with a lead in the third period (just one forechecker), another low risk, d first strategy. They don't often do it well, as teams used to an aggressive forecheck have a tough time turning passive, and very often end up getting scored on. I believe they used it successfully, however, several times in the second half this year, when they had a third period lead.

Who looks back 20 years and says, "well, that team won because of the trap." ? No one. Championships are championships. It doesn't take away anything from anyone winning. It's not like they are cheating.

I would liken it to chearing for the Greenbay Packers when I am a Vikings fan. It would make me sick if the Sioux went to a full out trap

and used it as a primary style of hockey. Looking at the recruits and current players it appears it's not coming to the REA anytime soon.

Playing defensively is what UND focuses on but I would hate to watch UND play like DU and Wisconsin or MSU for that matter. Yuck.

Sioux have, at times, played a 1-2-2 with a lead in the third period (just one forechecker), another low risk, d first strategy. They don't often do it well, as teams used to an aggressive forecheck have a tough time turning passive, and very often end up getting scored on. I believe they used it successfully, however, several times in the second half this year, when they had a third period lead.

I don't have a problem with that to protect a lead. I just don't want to see it all game long, ala Wisconsin or Cornell, I would rather watch paint dry or ice freeze. I still think it the Trap can be broken by agressive play and by out skating the opposition trying to employ it against you.

The 2nd half of the Michigan game, once we had the lead back, most of the time we backed off and only sent 1 man deep and frustrated Mich in the neutral zone.

I don't know if this constitutes a trap or not. In retrospect maybe we could have slowed BC down and took fewer attack zone penalties if we had backed off from time to time vs BC Thur.

I would liken it to chearing for the Greenbay Packers when I am a Vikings fan. It would make me sick if the Sioux went to a full out trap

and used it as a primary style of hockey. Looking at the recruits and current players it appears it's not coming to the REA anytime soon.

Playing defensively is what UND focuses on but I would hate to watch UND play like DU and Wisconsin or MSU for that matter. Yuck.

Well, we all know the Packers are far superior to the Vikings....however, maybe the Vikes can start a dynasty along with St. Cloud! :silly::lol::sad:

I can't put '05 DU and '07 MSU in with a pure defense first counter attack teams of '04 DU and '06 UW.

The '05 DU team was brilliant. They had big time skill guys and got great goaltending.

The '07 MSU team drew three straight defense first teams (which made MSU look boring), until they faced BC. They (with UND's help) wore down BC and really had the edge after the first period in my opinion.

What I haven't understood is why we (or other teams) don't change up the defense due to different circumstances.

I remember one time in the playoffs against Denver (First round) Blais changed the forecheck which made a great difference. But then we didn't resort to it again.

Once they start being able to defeat the trap then you can change it around again.

A trap leads to a lot of neutral zone turnovers which can create some odd man rushes. It doesn't change up your offensive zone game.

So is this why we struggle early in the yr - with the Cycling the puck ?

& is Cycling suppose to beat the TRAP ?

&/or does this cause more dumping the puck in to your offensive end (other than to change lines) ?

So is this why we struggle early in the yr - with the Cycling the puck ?

& is Cycling suppose to beat the TRAP ?

&/or does this cause more dumping the puck in to your offensive end (other than to change lines) ?

Cycling is done when you have possession of the puck in the offensive zone.

Any forecheck (122 or 212) is designed to get the puck back once you lose possession of the puck.