SiouxSports.com Forum

Toews Watch

Goon

I don't need your pity or your rationalizations. All players -- U.S. and Canadian -- know what the legal drinking age is when they come here to play hockey. If they choose to violate the law, then they better expect to suffer the consequences of getting caught. It's their choice. It's not out of their control.

So you post as both PCM and Siouxtatoo42 :(

I will add one more thing on the subject. Regardless of the law and how anyone fells about it this sentence could be very bad with respect to competing with the CHL for Canadian talent in the future. If I am trying to convince a a kid to stay in Canada and play junior hockey don't think I wouldn't say look at what they did to Jonathan Toews for enjoying a couple of beers with his friends.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will add one more thing on the subject. Regardless of the law and how anyone fells about it this sentence could be very bad with respect to competing with the CHL for Canadian talent in the future. If I am trying to convince a a kid to stay in Canada and play junior hockey don't think I wouldn't say look at what they did to Jonathan Toews for enjoying a couple of beers with his friends.

well as far as the court knows he wasn't even drinking.

I'm already on record that I don't agree with the law, but PCM is right in the fact that you have to be ready to face the punishment if you break the law.

On the other hand you could be right that it will make it harder to recruit, but there isn't anything to be done about that until we give up on the prohibition mindset this country is in.

What are Toews' prior offenses that would warrant him being sentenced to 10 days in prison?

This is not accurate information. The 10 days were SUSPENDED. Note the writer of the article and also note how quickly it will be changed. She is wrong. And saying that someone is going to serve 10 days in jail when they really aren't is going to get her and the Herald in a lot of trouble.

well as far as the court knows he wasn't even drinking.

I'm already on record that I don't agree with the law, but PCM is right in the fact that you have to be ready to face the punishment if you break the law.

On the other hand you could be right that it will make it harder to recruit, but there isn't anything to be done about that until we give up on the prohibition mindset this country is in.

I don't get it? Will some of our law grads please chime in here! wtf 10 days for being 18 years old and having a party at your pad that was loud and he was drinking in his own home. at judys they were charged with being in a bar they were not charged with drinking if they were drinking they would have been charged! So I guess it is three strikes and your out, ya I have heard that has really worked out well around the country!! come on if this is how my son was treated I would be so p.o. 10 days? he has never been charged for drinking outside of his home, ever. nor has he been accused of it ever! Who was the judge, I really think there must be more to this. Punkobitch raped a young women and whatever else he has done. never serves a day in jail. what did jt do? He had a party at his house and played the stero to loud, and he was in judys (not charged with drinking at judys just being there)

Herald's on-line story now says regarding Toews' sentence:

"The 10 days will be suspended for one year, according to the plea agreement. He's been fined $425 in court fines and fees."

Forum's online story has not yet been corrected.

Herald's on-line story now says regarding Toews' sentence:

"The 10 days will be suspended for one year, according to the plea agreement. He's been fined $425 in court fines and fees."

Forum's online story has not yet been corrected.

whew! That sounds more like a reasonable punishment.

Imagine that, the Herald got the story wrong.

It went from this...

Two UND hockey players plead guilty

Two of the UND hockey players charged after being caught at a Grand Forks tavern in February changed their underage drinking pleas to guilty today, and one will spend 10 days in jail.

Jonathan Toews, 18, and T.J. Oshie, 20, pleaded guilty to minor not allowed on liquor premises, a Class B misdemeanor. The two were charged after Grand Forks police responded to a call at Judy's Tavern, where Toews and Oshie were part of a group that included another UND hockey player, Robbie Bina.

Bina, 24, was charged with escaping custody the same night for allegedly opening the door of a police car that one of the other hockey players was being held in.

Jonathan Toews and T.J. Oshie

Toews, because of previous charges, will spend 10 days in jail and must serve 30 hours community service, according to court records. He's been fined $750 in court fines and fees.

Toews was charged in September with minor in consumption and noisy party gathering.

Oshie was sentenced to unsupervised probation for one year and to pay about $450 in fines and fees. Once the year is complete, the file will be sealed, according to court documents.

Bina has pleaded not guilty to the escaping custody charge. He's scheduled to appear in a pretrial conference on May 10.

To this...

Two of the UND hockey players charged after being caught at a Grand Forks tavern on Jan. 28 changed their underage drinking pleas to guilty today as part of a plea agreement.

Jonathan Toews, 18, and T.J. Oshie, 20, pleaded guilty to minor not allowed on liquor premises, a Class B misdemeanor. The two were charged after Grand Forks police responded to a call at Judy's Tavern, where Toews and Oshie were part of a group that included another UND hockey player, Robbie Bina.

Bina, 24, was charged with escaping custody the same night for allegedly opening the door of a police car that one of the other hockey players was being held in.

Toews faced a stricter penalty, because of prior charges. He was sentenced to 10 days in jail and must serve 30 hours community service, according to court records. The 10 days will be suspended for one year, according to the plea agreement. He's been fined $425 in court fines and fees.

Toews was charged in September with minor in consumption and noisy party gathering.

Oshie was sentenced to unsupervised probation for one year and to pay about $225 in fines and fees. Once the year is complete, the file will be sealed, according to court documents.

Bina has pleaded not guilty to the escaping custody charge. He's scheduled to appear in a pretrial conference on May 10.

Someone needed to get their facts straight before they hit the publish button.

If you don't want me to respond to you, don't quote my post in your response. ;)

I'm sure the judge was thinking about how his sentence would impact UND's ability to recruit Canadians.

This is not accurate information. The 10 days were SUSPENDED. Note the writer of the article and also note how quickly it will be changed. She is wrong. And saying that someone is going to serve 10 days in jail when they really aren't is going to get her and the Herald in a lot of trouble.

The story also led off with a comment about their sentances for "underage drinking pleas", and only later in the story said that it was for being a minor on premises. That seems a little misleading.

The story also led off with a comment about their sentances for "underage drinking pleas", and only later in the story said that it was for being a minor on premises. That seems a little misleading.

That was defintely some sloppy reporting. There's no excuse for it.

Yes, I've certainly made my share of mistakes over the years, but on a story that's been this big in which people's reputations are involved, you owe it to them and to your readers to get it right the first time.

The Herald on-line blames the court for its errors:

"Correction: An earlier version of this story, based on court documents, reported that Jonathan Toews would spend 10 days in jail. After subsequent interviews with prosecutors, the Herald learned Toews' sentence was suspended, so he will not serve the jail time."

The Forum's on-line version still has not been corrected.

The Herald on-line blames the court for its errors:

"Correction: An earlier version of this story, based on court documents, reported that Jonathan Toews would spend 10 days in jail. After subsequent interviews with prosecutors, the Herald learned Toews' sentence was suspended, so he will not serve the jail time."

The Forum's on-line version still has not been corrected.

The Herald is lying. Susanne Nadeau doesn't know how to read a court document. She made the mistake. They are in full spin-control right now as they try to cover their ass regarding a slam-dunk libel case.

The Herald is lying. Susanne Nadeau doesn't know how to read a court document. She made the mistake. They are in full spin-control right now as they try to cover their ass regarding a slam-dunk libel case.

Susanne? Hi...it's Shawn-O down in HR. How's your calendar looking this afternoon...say 5 o'clock? Oh...and bring your laptop and cardkey.