SiouxSports.com Forum

Toews Watch

Goon

I would support the firing of Childress if Jonathan Toews stays at UND for another year.....

i will be with that, though Childress may be a bad coach but you can only work with what you have and when your recievers can't catch the ball..........but that is a football discussion and really off topic.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading about Brian leaving and signing brought some questions to mind. I don't understand how contract offers work when a player is still a student. I apologize up front for my ignorance.

How does it work? I thought students couldn't have agents or be approached while they're still amateurs? The team that selected the player can make offers to the player to entice him out of school and into the professionals? Can a student who is considered a free agent be approached with offers?

I don't know how or if it does affect their amateur standing. I seem to remember talk about this a few years ago but forgot how this works.

*No, not my mind, well, maybe that too, a little bit*

Hockey probably has pushed the family advisor(agent) thing further than other sports, Family advisors are most times full time agents, just without a written agreement. These "advisors" talk to NHL management throughout the process. It is mostly developmental conversations, what they perceive where the player needs improvement. When the NHL team feels that either the individual player or thier organization will improve by the player going professional, the talks turn to money and contracts. The players desire and the NHL teams urgency will ultimately make a deal happen or not.

Hockey probably has pushed the family advisor(agent) thing further than other sports, Family advisors are most times full time agents, just without a written agreement. These "advisors" talk to NHL management throughout the process. It is mostly developmental conversations, what they perceive where the player needs improvement. When the NHL team feels that either the individual player or thier organization will improve by the player going professional, the talks turn to money and contracts. The players desire and the NHL teams urgency will ultimately make a deal happen or not.

Can a parent be a 'family adviser'?

So then we can probably assume that Lee, Toews, Duncan, Chorney Oshie saw a sheet of paper with some numbers on them.

So then we can probably assume that Lee, Toews, Duncan, Chorney Oshie saw a sheet of paper with some numbers on them.

I wouldn't assume that all of them have seen or heard numbers. Because of the CBA most of them have a rough idea of what kind of offer they would receive. They may have gotten exact numbers, they may have talked in general terms or they may have just said that they weren't interested without waiting to hear numbers. My guess is that many of the discussions have been about whether the interest is there for both sides and whether both sides believe the player is ready.

Can a parent be a 'family adviser'?

Yes, but most accomplished players have outside advice, there are 4 basic types of advisors.

1. competent with plenty experience inside hockey business

2. competent with plenty of business and negotiating experience

3. unqualified with some hockey experience - an opportunist

4. unqualified but well meaning family friend.

The last two have entirely different motives but are equally problematic.

I would guess without knowing that Toews has a extremely qualified advisor and he and his family will make a decision based on solid information.

Yes, but most accomplished players have outside advice, there are 4 basic types of advisors.

1. competent with plenty experience inside hockey business

2. competent with plenty of business and negotiating experience

3. unqualified with some hockey experience - an opportunist

4. unqualified but well meaning family friend.

The last two have entirely different motives but are equally problematic.

I would guess without knowing that Toews has a extremely qualified advisor and he and his family will make a decision based on solid information.

I believe he has the same advisors as EJ and JJ, Dee Rizzo and Pat Brisson.

That's a long way to go if he doesn't make the team. I guess he'll know if he's ready for the NHL after training camp. Is he the only college player invited by Canada?

So far, since both the US and Canada will have primarily NHL players that aren't in the SC playoffs (or, for the US, players that just signed, EJ and JJ). More players will be added from teams that lose in the first round.

Wonder if his chances of playing for Canada are better if he signs with Chicago than if he doesn't?

That's a long way to go if he doesn't make the team. I guess he'll know if he's ready for the NHL after training camp. Is he the only college player invited by Canada?

Sorry to put a damper on this thread, but I suspect he has been invited as a form of insurance for Team Canada in case too many NHL players should happen to decline the invitation following the completion of the first round of the playoffs. Based on what happens tonight, the likes of Crosby, Staal, Roberts and Recchi could be added to Team Canada's lineup tomorrow.

Sorry to put a damper on this thread, but I suspect he has been invited as a form of insurance for Team Canada in case too many NHL players should happen to decline the invitation following the completion of the first round of the playoffs. Based on what happens tonight, the likes of Crosby, Roberts and Recchi could be added to Team Canada's lineup tomorrow.

thats what it is but he may end up playing as some of these players may not play depending on length of playoff series and so forth..great for jon though to be invited..

Along the same lines, there was a Page 1 article in The Wall Street Journal earlier this week about how the current ownership-Wirz family has decimated the Blackhawks franchise and pi$$ed of legions of fans over the years, and making little headway in getting back on track. It's a paid article now, but it should be freely available next week or so.

Along the same lines, there was a Page 1 article in The Wall Street Journal earlier this week about how the current ownership-Wirz family has decimated the Blackhawks franchise and pi$$ed of legions of fans over the years, and making little headway in getting back on track. It's a paid article now, but it should be freely available next week or so.

Read the article as well and it wasn't very complimentry of Writz.

More players added to Team Canada.

It's unlikely any of those players - including the 18-year-old Toews - will be part of the team that opens the world championship in Moscow with a game on April 28th against Germany.

Next winter, Toews may have a chance to become just the second Canadian ever to win three gold medals at the world junior tournament. Jason Botterill is the only player to do that.

Canada roster, with players added for pre-competition listed below the roster.