SiouxSports.com Forum

Eric Johnson to turn pro...

Csonked Out

That's too bad. I was hoping he'd return to Minnesota. We scored a lot of goals while he was on the ice.

EJ turning pro doesn't really hurt too bad, if Goligoski leaves....that will hurt. EJ was just a big body that took up space, had a hell of a slapshot...if he could hit the net he may have scored more goals.

According to Andy Stricklund, Eric Johnson we'll turn pro over the summer, here is the link. Eric Johnson turning Pro

Well, Hockeybuzz.com is not always right, so don't assume it's gospel.

With no animosity meant at all, EJ is a talented hockey player, who proved this season he is not ready yet for the NHL. I think it would be to his benefit to play at Minnesota again next year and develop more as a defenseman.

I think that's just the price of having a winning program in this era. In order to win, you have to get the players who are going to turn pro early. I think as Sioux fans we were lucky to have Toews come back for a 2nd year. Going back a few years, I think we were lucky to have had Zach Parise for two years and extremely lucky to have had Stafford for three. A 1st round draft pick rarely plays more than two years of college hockey anymore.

well said, many 1st rounders ar 1-2 year players unless a finley type or maybe lee need a extra year to develope skills or size

That's too bad. I was hoping he'd return to Minnesota. We scored a lot of goals while he was on the ice.

As a Sioux fan, I hope he leaves and Goligoski goes as well. :D All kidding aside, he's a tremendous talent and he's pretty close to being ready for the next level. He's huge and skates very well for a big man, and has a heavy shot. Yes, he has things to work on, but he's still a teenager. He is going to be very, very good. He reminds me of a young Chris Pronger.

Yes - I'm sure not a single Sioux player envisioned a Frozen Four appearance before the season began. :)

Seriously, after the start the Sioux had the first part of the season, I didn't expect a run to the Frozen Four. Its appreciated and you expect your team to get there a much as possible but with three in a row maybe we are blessed up in God's country I mean Grand Forks. :D

I personally wouldn't be surprised to see EJ come back next season.

Seriously, after the start the Sioux had the first part of the season, I didn't expect a run to the Frozen Four. Its appreciated and you expect your team to get there a much as possible but with three in a row maybe we are blessed up in God's country I mean Grand Forks. :D

I personally wouldn't be surprised to see EJ come back next season.

Neither would I.

However, the player I'd expect to go would be Goligoski as far as non-graduating defensemen. He had a stellar year this year and, though I'm not sure his defensive game is ready for the NHL level, he's still capable of performing offensively like Matt Carle is currently in the NHL.

I also think Wheeler will turn pro too. Some rumors about Okposo and even Frazee but I don't see them going anywhere.

Neither would I.

However, the player I'd expect to go would be Goligoski as far as non-graduating defensemen. He had a stellar year this year and, though I'm not sure his defensive game is ready for the NHL level, he's still capable of performing offensively like Matt Carle is currently in the NHL.

I also think Wheeler will turn pro too. Some rumors about Okposo and even Frazee but I don't see them going anywhere.

I would say Goli is going to be gone. That kid has improved a lot. When he first came to league I refered to him as a pylon but he impressed me this season.

KO I think will be back unless the Islander poneys up the money, they still have to sign Blake so I would bet some money he is back next season. EJ seems to be getting pressure from St. Louis but maybe he will take a page from Jack Johnson's book. The money will be there either way. If I was to compare Carle to EJ its not even close right now. Heck Carle even went back to the AHL for a tune up.

I would say Goli is going to be gone. That kid has improved a lot. When he first came to league I refered to him as a pylon but he impressed me this season.

KO I think will be back unless the Islander poneys up the money, they still have to sign Blake so I would bet some money he is back next season. EJ seems to be getting pressure from St. Louis but maybe he will take a page from Jack Johnson's book. The money will be there either way. If I was to compare Carle to EJ its not even close right now. Heck Carle even went back to the AHL for a tune up.

Actually there was an article in the Strib last week where Gretzky said he thought it would be better for Wheeler to come back next year, so I would assume as well that he'll be back. Hopefully he plays the whole season like it's the playoffs because that was about the only time he came alive.

Actually there was an article in the Strib last week where Gretzky said he thought it would be better for Wheeler to come back next year, so I would assume as well that he'll be back. Hopefully he plays the whole season like it's the playoffs because that was about the only time he came alive.

Wheeler needs another year before the big time. He can go back to U of Mn or the minors but won't be ready for a while. Look what happend to Stafford and Bochenski and he wasn't up to their standards yet. He will be a heck of a player as he matures though. Johnson is ready but needs to play at his highest level night in and night out. He should be a dominant defenseman in every game he plays.

The Blues manager wanted him to sign for the remainder of this season despite all of the it's his choice rhetoric. The fact that he didn't sign when asked will not sit well and it won't surprise me at all if he is traded this summer for his lack of commitment.

I don't see the Blues trading him.

"We are, as a group, a little disappointed, but we fully support what they've decided. He wants to finish up the school year, and then he'll think about his future. We don't have any problems with that. He's just finished up his season. He'll catch his breath and then go from there." - Blues President John Davidson

I agree with DaveK on this.

The only team that would do that kind of thing (trade him because he wouldn't do what they wanted) is the Hurricanes which pulled a stupid move by actually trading JMFJ to the Kings. Good work.

Could you imagine Commie and JMFJ as a defensive pairing? :lol:

Maybe he was scared of showing up in an NHL locker room with bleached blond hair. Listen to comments Blais had on the air today on Hot Talk. Click on the Hot Talk link for today, and fast forward to about 2:34:20 or so.

I thought about the goldilocks issue as well. But perhaps he wanted to remain so he could go and represent the Gophers at the Skills Competition, in the Spelling Bee. Rumour has it that he can now spell Minnesota on his own. :lol: