SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux vs. Minnesota Game Thread

HockeyMom

Saw much of the OT from afar (I was bowling at the time) and I noticed that just about the entire OT UMN was in their offensive zone.

When I noticed that, I said "Well, unless things change drastically, the Gophers are going to win." And then, whamo. They scored.

That's ok. We needed this game. It was a good game. A close game apparently. Maybe we can use this loss to our advantage.

The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the jersey pop. However, I don't like jersey pops regardless of the team.

I think you forfeit your right to comment when you are going for a 7-10 split :D

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight's game was a very close game. Most of the game felt like UND was a little slower but obviously played well enough to take it to overtime. So then one could argue which team is more deserving: the best team through the entire second half of the season who won the season series handidly, or the team that played slightly better the first two periods. Well, apparently the better team through the first two, arguably three periods, won in OT.

However, I would feel alot better if the game hadn't been won by either team with a fluke goal. No one can say that goal was tallent. That was luck! If it had been a clean slap shot from the blue line or a nice rebound in front of the net, it would be more respectable and easier to swallow.

Found this in the USCHO forums, I LIKE IT!! LOL

1 Minnesota

2 Notre Dame

3 St. Cloud State

4 North Dakota

5 New Hampshire

6 Boston College

7 Clarkson

8 Michigan

9 Boston University

10 Wisconsin

11 Denver

12 Michigan State

13 Colorado College

14 Michigan Tech

15 AFA

16 UAH

Grand Rapids

Minnesota vs UAH

Michigan vs. BU

Rochester

Notre Dame vs Michigan Tech

Clarkson vs Wisconsin

Denver

St Cloud State vs Air Force

BC vs Denver

Manchester

North Dakota vs CC

UNH vs Michigan St

Just enough time to drink some St. Patty's Day beer!!! See you all next week!!!! Geez, Don't take things so personally!! It's only a little s&!t giving!! :D:D

People like you don't bother me...it makes life interesting b/c there is always some sort of entertainment, haha

Did any of you see this

http://board.uscho.com/showpost.php?p=3069...p;postcount=175

Re: UND vs Minnesota WCHA Championship Game

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertogliat

My tickets are right behind the Sue family seats. During the awards ceremony and while UND was still on the ice, Dave Hakstol comes running by me and goes right to 2 family members and pulls them out of their seats. I don't want to say that he had a look of panic on his face, but he definately had a serious and concerned look. I hope everything is all right.

Did any of you see this

http://board.uscho.com/showpost.php?p=3069...p;postcount=175

Re: UND vs Minnesota WCHA Championship Game

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertogliat

My tickets are right behind the Sue family seats. During the awards ceremony and while UND was still on the ice, Dave Hakstol comes running by me and goes right to 2 family members and pulls them out of their seats. I don't want to say that he had a look of panic on his face, but he definately had a serious and concerned look. I hope everything is all right.

Scary! Hope it's nothing and just a false alarm.

Saw much of the OT from afar (I was bowling at the time) and I noticed that just about the entire OT UMN was in their offensive zone.

When I noticed that, I said "Well, unless things change drastically, the Gophers are going to win." And then, whamo. They scored.

That's ok. We needed this game. It was a good game. A close game apparently. Maybe we can use this loss to our advantage.

The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the jersey pop. However, I don't like jersey pops regardless of the team.

The Gophers needed this game way more than the Sioux did that is for sure, to me the Gophers finally showed a pulse for the first time in the 2nd half of the season and it was great to see them play a whole 60+minuets but the true test is coming......

Just enough time to drink some St. Patty's Day beer!!! See you all next week!!!! Geez, Don't take things so personally!! It's only a little s&!t giving!! :D:D

After reading this comment and being at the game last night. One thing I know for sure is that MN by far has the rudest fans ever! They are downright stupid. Oh and by the way, four years at a school and the only thing they learn is how to spell. Nice education.

You've been drinking...

The jersey pop and frosted hair are examples of how immature the gophers hockey program is. If the sioux win that game as the #1 seed in the tournament on a lucky bounce they would celebrate but none of this jersey grabbing stuff.

Frosted hair? Are you kidding me? I couldn't see a respectable high school program doing this much less the #1 ranked team in college hockey.

And I'm glad if the sioux and gophers get paired in the same regional so the sioux are once again able to deny the gophers the frozen four. On neutral ice after Hakstol and company sees game film of what the gophers threw at them in this game its no contest. The sioux will win easily followed by a short celebration congratulating Lamoureux and then they skate off the ice to prepare for another game that counts even more.

I think the team will be just fine. I do not feel this is anything more than a bump in the road to number 8. If the Gophers would have won in regulation I would have been more upset. These teams can play period.

I think the Gophers played a "10" and a the Sioux a "7-8". We took to many "away from the puck" penalties last night. We need to play more disiplined (Radke/Chorney).

After reading this comment and being at the game last night. One thing I know for sure is that MN by far has the rudest fans ever! They are downright stupid. Oh and by the way, four years at a school and the only thing they learn is how to spell. Nice education.

The jersey pop and frosted hair are examples of how immature the gophers hockey program is. If the sioux win that game as the #1 seed in the tournament on a lucky bounce they would celebrate but none of this jersey grabbing stuff.

Frosted hair? Are you kidding me? I couldn't see a respectable high school program doing this much less the #1 ranked team in college hockey.

And I'm glad if the sioux and gophers get paired in the same regional so the sioux are once again able to deny the gophers the frozen four. On neutral ice after Hakstol and company sees game film of what the gophers threw at them in this game its no contest. The sioux will win easily followed by a short celebration congratulating Lamoureux and then they skate off the ice to prepare for another game that counts even more.

Here are your halos.

Here are your halos.

I do not completely agree with my fellow Sioux's post but you are on a SIOUX board not GPL. That game could have gone either way. Good Luck, and we will probably meet again. The better team will win and hopefully it is us with the revenge!

Tonight's game was a very close game. Most of the game felt like UND was a little slower but obviously played well enough to take it to overtime. So then one could argue which team is more deserving: the best team through the entire second half of the season who won the season series handidly, or the team that played slightly better the first two periods. Well, apparently the better team through the first two, arguably three periods, won in OT.

However, I would feel alot better if the game hadn't been won by either team with a fluke goal. No one can say that goal was tallent. That was luck! If it had been a clean slap shot from the blue line or a nice rebound in front of the net, it would be more respectable and easier to swallow.

Ok, I'm new at this and feel a little intimidated... Spouse and I are avid Sioux fans who bleed green, never missed a hockey game in college and have season tickets to Sioux hockey since REA opened... Travel up from cities for all games and only games we ever missed was the first playoff series this year against Mankato... Spouse fell and broke lower leg in half on Thursday before game... If it hadn't been for the surgery on Friday.... So, here goes!

Agree with dakotadan.... As much as I hate to admit, Rodents brought their A game. But, either team could have won and Sioux have nothing to feel bad about. It really was a good game, despite the ending.... At least we didn't get our butts handed to us like the series in MN.... But what I find so comical is when Sioux creamed the Rodents in that series, only the classy Rodent fans would post... Didn't hear a peep from all the other ones. It's so typical of Rodent fans... Let the Rodents win a game that really had no meaning and they come out of the woodwork like termites to post here... What's even worse is having to live down here and listen to it! That really requires a lot of anti-nausea pills... But, then again, outside of wrestling, it is the only sport they can win in...

Bring on the regionals! those are the games that count...

Oh yeah, about the jersey pop, that's just honoring the M. I'd rather see our guys pay homage to the treasured M, than being a delf serving glory boy like you see in the NBA and NFL.

You are not honoring the letter M if the letter M is offended by it. To be safe, I'd just avoid honoring the letter M from now on.

It is tough to win when the opponents have an extra skater wearing black and white. I think the aggressive penalty calling took the Sioux off of their game. Sioux second and third lines didn't get the job done, and the defensive corps (other than Chorney) disappointed.

Even though he was penalized for "instigating", the response by Chroney was completely appropriate under the circumstances of the Duncan hit. I like that the team stood up and saif no way to that. Refs should've called 2 minutes on four players and let them skate 5 on 5. The extra penalty was poor officiating.

You want to go into the tournament hot, but maybe a loss right now is what we need to get that last bit of gumption in order to win it all.

I guarantee that mn doesn't want to see us again, and I desperately want another crack at them.

Bring on the regionals! those are the games that count...

Don't tell me these games don't count. It goes on the record so it does count. Don't be like the Gopher fans and try to down play a major loss. That's foolish.

Sad to lose on a fluke goal. Wheeler's hustle (and lackthereof from Lee) was the reason Minn. won the game. I thought Minnesota really elevated their game. The Sioux spent 8 of 20 minutes in the first period killing penalties, this tired out the Sioux's top lines and it prevented Hak from rolling his 4 lines. Officiating was marginal at best.

Minn. brought their A game and I think the Sioux didn't-they looked to be taken off. Frazee was never seriously challenged, which is a shame because he really is a goalie who can be exploited. Congrats to Minn. we'll see what happens in the NCAA's.

No matter what you say, jersey popping is a no-class move...as far as the hair, squirts and peewees color their hair as a show of team unity BECAUSE THEY DONT SHAVE YET...

A proper use of "jersey popping" happend last year when Irmen scored a goal right out of the penalty box against the sioux. He received a nasty tongue lashing from sioux fans (as every visiting offender does and should receive) mainly about choosing to play at Minnesota, and then scored a goal by embarrasing Parise. Holding up the M on his jersey in front of the fans in this case is acceptable, but Saturday night was a little surprising. Maybe Wheeler got nervous about scoring an important goal and went for the jersey on a knee jerk reaction.

No matter what you say, jersey popping is a no-class move...as far as the hair, squirts and peewees color their hair as a show of team unity BECAUSE THEY DONT SHAVE YET...

How 'bout your boys buzzing the tower (Gophers bench) and yapping after tying it in the 3rd? Real classy...

Truthfully the boys from both teams were pumped and get passes from me, because from what I've seen from both teams this year has been nothing but class.