SiouxSports.com Forum

Duncan For Hobey!

bogeyboge50

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems as if some people are finally starting to figure this out. :)

I'm very happy to see people are factoring in that Duncan has been a consistent performer all the way through the season, and hasn't just emerged with the run the team has made, or because the other 2 DOT's got things rolling. If anything, he got the other DOT's and the team to where there was a point to getting on a roll.

http://www.cstv.com/chat/031207aaa.html

Not sure if this has been posted yet - Dunc's got a good shot at Hobey!

Jon (Minneapolis): Does the fact that Ryan Duncan's success has coincided with North Dakota's run since Christmas will help his chances?

Dave Starman: North Dakota's run since Christmas has coincided with the rest of the team playing as well as Duncan!

Todd D. Milewski: I think Duncan has a great chance because people are seeing how good a team North Dakota can be. A lot of coaches and scouts have raved to me about how Toews and Oshie have come along recently, but Duncan has been there all season.

Elliot Olshansky: Duncan has done a fantastic job for North Dakota, but I have to echo a point Adam Wodon raised last week: he didn't have any real campaign behind him until recently...Toews and Oshie were supposed to be "the guys." I think his big run has done more to put him in position for next year then get him to win this year.

Dave Starman: Ryan has been consistent, scored in big games, scored on the road, played every role needed, and has fit on a line that has two first round picks on it and been the glue that has held the #1 line together through Toews being away at the WJC and Oshie playing with a bad hand. Lamoureux being healthy and Bina's improved play, as well as a good supporting cast show just how good Duncan was while everyone else got into a groove.

Henry (Maple Grove, MN): Asking for a prediction here: Will the WCHA POY also finish the highest among WCHA players in the Hobey Baker race?

Todd D. Milewski: I voted for Ryan Duncan for WCHA player of the year, but I'm not completely convinced yet I'm in the majority. But I think he's the WCHA's best candidate for Hobey, based on an entire year of work. So for a prediction, I'll say yes.

Dave Starman: Word for word, I'm with Todd.

Elliot Olshansky: If I were voting for WCHA Player of the Year, I would probably go for Bobby Goepfert, because he's the single most important player to the team's success, and there's been an awful lot of success for the Huskies this year. That said, I think Duncan would be the guy with the best Hobey chances.

Todd D. Milewski: Then we get into a discussion about best player vs. most valuable. I think the award is for the best player, and, to me, that's Duncan.

Dave Starman: More pressure on NoDak to be good on a national level than St. Cloud.

Elliot Olshansky: Well, North Dakota had everybody back when they made their run, right?

Dave Starman: Yes, but they made a run because they were hanging around and Duncan is one of the reasons they were in striking distance to make a run.

Elliot Olshansky: Something tells me we could spend an hour debating Duncan vs. Goepfert...but we won't.

Hey same video different song rite here!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...eoid=2014645859

How about "Through Glass" by Stone Sour (as in we are looking at Duncan through glass as college hockey fans). Just a thought. My wife uses it on her photography website at:

www.marisaskeesphotography.com

Check it out and see how the song works with pictures...

If Dunc wins the Hobey, it will be amazing. He wasn't even in the conversation a month ago.

duncan was in the conversation a month ago, but certainly not number 1 on lists like This, which is inch's final list of the top ten. i find it amazing that the year isnt over and hes got 29 goals. clearly duncan deserves it with what hes done.

According to the St. Cloud Times, Duncan may be named the WCHA player of the year edging out Goepert. Interesting read;

"The good-and-bad news: I have it on good authority Andreas Nodl will be the WCHA Rookie of the Year. Unfortunately, I have it on even better authority that Bobby Goepfert somehow lost out to UND's Ryan Duncan as Player of the Year. All due respect to Duncan, who's had a great season and deserves all his accolades -- especially for playing against guys twice his size -- I'm not convinced Goepfert doesn't mean more to SCSU than Duncan does to the Sioux. I guess we'll find out for real when the awards are announced on Thursday. I'll update them on our web site as they happen. If they pan out this way, perhaps Goepfert will be inspired to take revenge for last year's 5-3 season-ending loss in the Final Five title game -- including a goal on which Duncan made Goepfert look as bad as anyone. I believe Goepfert is not only the Player of the Year but he should be among the 10 Hobey Baker finalists announced Thursday, if not the winner next month. Motzko, a candidate for Coach of the Year, has earned that title nationally from SI.com" - Kevin Allenspach

Does anyone know what UND has done to promote Duncan's Hobey run? Many schools seem to put out posters... just wondering.

I think as nice as a Hobey Baker award is...I think a good part of it is a team thing, and because of that, we take a team mentality when looking at stuff like this. We don't individualize anyone. We worry about winning and getting number 8! :lol:

As for my personal opinion...GO DUNCAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think as nice as a Hobey Baker award is...I think a good part of it is a team thing, and because of that, we take a team mentality when looking at stuff like this. We don't individualize anyone. We worry about winning and getting number 8! :lol:

As for my personal opinion...GO DUNCAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

They individualized Blake by making pucks; individualized ZPar and Bo by making posters. Don't recall what they did for Panzer, but I'm sure they did something. I'm sure Dunc's though, along with every other Sioux fan/player/coach, would rather see #8 than the individual award.

They individualized Blake by making pucks; individualized ZPar and Bo by making posters. Don't recall what they did for Panzer, but I'm sure they did something. I'm sure Dunc's though, along with every other Sioux fan/player/coach, would rather see #8 than the individual award.

OK, nevermind then! Hehe...I guess I wasn't around those days... :lol:

Obviously what Grand Forks needs is a Dunkin' Donuts. If they had one, then the way to get Duncan's name out would be much easier than it is now.

Dunc's Donut Dunker's -- Ryan Duncan endorsed dunkable donut squares (comes in packs of 16) that have chocolate icing on them.

Yum yum!

I'm sure I'll be scolded for this, but when you ask if there is anything the Sioux can do to promote Duncan's candidacy, I'd say they did a lot by putting him on the same line as two of the best college hockey players in America.

He's been good, he's been solid, but there is GREAT benefit to having the two best players in America on his line.

IMO

I'm sure I'll be scolded for this, but when you ask if there is anything the Sioux can do to promote Duncan's candidacy, I'd say they did a lot by putting him on the same line as two of the best college hockey players in America.

He's been good, he's been solid, but there is GREAT benefit to having the two best players in America on his line.

IMO

and he is the first to admit this - but it is pretty obvious to me that all three complimnet each other and one's success leads to the other two's - you can fill in the names - which are interchangable.

IMO

Let's not forget that Duncan was still scoring goals in the first half when he didn't have those guys all the time as linemates, or they were playing injured.