SiouxSports.com Forum

How will they call it?

The Sicatoka

All cynicism toward McLeod and Shepherd (and they are due) aside, will this be the first weekend all year that the WCHA referees will call the obstruction rule the way the rest of the NCAA, especially the CCHA and HEA, has called it all season long?

Let's face it:

- Chris Porter's little-bitty high tug at the shoulder with the stick: obstruction hook.

- Mike Vanelli's uncanny ability to discretely put a stick onto an ankle to slow someone down: obstruction tripping.

- Casey Borer's knack at getting into the skating line of an opponent to let his partner get to the puck first: obstruction interference.

If the WCHA officers don't tell the WCHA officials to follow the NCAA guidelines regarding obstruction this weekend (and next) they're doing a disservice to all those WCHA teams who make the field of 16 because the WCHA will be seeing HEA or CCHA officials in two weeks. And they'll be spending a lot of time skating the penalty kill.

If the WCHA officers don't tell the WCHA officials to follow the NCAA guidelines regarding obstruction this weekend (and next) they're doing a disservice to all those WCHA teams who make the field of 16 because the WCHA will be seeing HEA or CCHA officials in two weeks. And they'll be spending a lot of time skating the penalty kill.

Its too late. The disservice has already been done. You can't suddenly change the way you've been calling the entire season and expect the teams to shape up in two weeks. It should have been done weeks ago, like sometime in October.

Its too late. The disservice has already been done. You can't suddenly change the way you've been calling the entire season and expect the teams to shape up in two weeks. It should have been done weeks ago, like sometime in October.

I agree the officials would be admitting they were calling the games poorly, won't happen.

I agree the officials would be admitting they were calling the games poorly, won't happen.

Though I agree, this assumes though that the officials are being told to call it the way they are or are told to ignore that crackdown.

The fact of the matter is, McLeod and Shepherd simply don't acknowledge that there is obstruction going on in the WCHA. If they believe (even with proof otherwise) that a problem doesn't exist, why enforce the crackdown?

This isn't a ref problem, this is an administrative decision to keep heads in the sand.

We won't see anything called, but if I were Hakstol, I'd practice using HEA or CCHA officiating as a guideline if possible.

It'll be called like it's been called all year. Sometimes for some teams in some situations that's a penalty. Other times for other teams in other situations it's not.

Hak would be correct in practicing with two things in mind, keep your hand on the stick and the stick on the ice. (not on the other players.)

The bottom 6 or 7 teams need obstruction, or else MN, UND and SCSU would blow by them like a piece of pancake flat road kill. So, more than 50% of the WCHA teams never want obstruction called, ever. Shepard is just doing what he's told to do by the majority of coaches. it will not change, and the WCHA teams will have a problem with it come NCAA time. The Eastern refs will completely stop a WCHA team in it's tracks.

The bottom 6 or 7 teams need obstruction, or else MN, UND and SCSU would blow by them like a piece of pancake flat road kill. So, more than 50% of the WCHA teams never want obstruction called, ever. Shepard is just doing what he's told to do by the majority of coaches. it will not change, and the WCHA teams will have a problem with it come NCAA time. The Eastern refs will completely stop a WCHA team in it's tracks.

This isn't the first year the WCHA teams will be playing by different rules once the NCAAs start. The Gophers inability to adjust to the referees was probably the main reason they lost to Holy Cross. Other years the Gophers have been quite adept at eliminating the ticky-tack crap from their game during the playoffs.

During UNDs beanpot run a couple years ago they just kept taking penalties and had killing them, but eventually DU solved it.

The Gophers have to get their game in order now because they have taken more stupid penalties this year than I can ever remember and their PK has been brutal all year.

My buddy once told me the same thing, basically that the league wants parity and there really isn't that much parity between the 10 place teams and the 1-5 place teams so the league officals are going to take that into perspective when they are calling the game. My response to him was there doesn't need to be parity, its not our fault if UAA and others can't compete with the rest of the league in recruiting.

In my opinion the refs real reason for being there is to call the game not take politics into the equation. I could give a rats ass if 7-10 can't compete without trying to slow down the game, what next a cap on the number of top recruits a team can have?

I could give a rats ass if 7-10 can't compete without trying to slow down the game, what next a cap on the number of top recruits a team can have?

Bruce McLeod doesn't care what you think. He knows that fans of the WCHA's top-level teams already have a good reason to attend games. He wants to give fans of the league's lower-echelon teams a reason to attend games. Thus, we get parity through officiating because it's the one way that the league can redress the balance between the "haves" and the "have nots."

Bruce McLeod doesn't care what you think. He knows that fans of the WCHA's top-level teams already have a good reason to attend games. He wants to give fans of the league's lower-echelon teams a reason to attend games. Thus, we get parity through officiating because it's the one way that the league can redress the balance between the "haves" and the "have nots."

It's a horrible philosophy to run a league by and the NCAA had taken issue with the WCHA. I always think it's funny how MTU score the other night and the refs immediately put the Goofers on the power play. Reffing by the score.

My buddy once told me the same thing, basically that the league wants parity and there really isn't that much parity between the 10 place teams and the 1-5 place teams so the league officals are going to take that into perspective when they are calling the game. My response to him was there doesn't need to be parity, its not our fault if UAA and others can't compete with the rest of the league in recruiting.

In my opinion the refs real reason for being there is to call the game not take politics into the equation. I could give a rats ass if 7-10 can't compete without trying to slow down the game, what next a cap on the number of top recruits a team can have?

While I agree that the game should be called correctly, my question would be, "Does the WCHA continue it's strangelhold on the national SOS picture if some parity adjustments are not made?" I want the best teams to win the show, period. If the NCAA would place a WCHA team in each regional bracket (which won't happen again) and the WCHA teams prevailed, they earned it and all is well.

Although, if the WCHA continues to pump it's own feathers, "does it make college hockey any better?" I don't know which poison to pick. I guess I can't watch the other conferences, but I would. Some of my favorite games are our non-conf games. I don't miss a non-conf matchup at home unless impossible an situation arises. I like the opportunity for our teams in the WCHA to prove themselves, which they do for the most part.

There are just not enough games allowed by the NCAA. I'd buy into having a week off at Christmas, otherwise I'd like to see the teams play everyweekend. Not only for my benefit, but for the team as well. Going over seas, traveling a lot more, and having a more diverse home schedule used to be the norm in the 80's and even the 90's.

I realize money has everything to do with what games are scheduled. Even more I understand that positioning your program for the best NCAA tournament opportunity is essential. I'd just like to see them play a couple more non-conf series. Not saying it would be easy.

It's a horrible philosophy to run a league by and the NCAA had taken issue with the WCHA. I always think it's funny how MTU score the other night and the refs immediately put the Goofers on the power play. Reffing by the score.

It's all about the Benjamins, which -- from the WCHA's perspective -- is about putting butts in seats. You don't put butts in seats by allowing the top teams in the league to consistently blow out the bottom teams of the league. It's about keeping alive the possibility that on any given night, No. 10 can beat No. 1.

I don't see how this is a big deal. Look at who won 5 out of the past 6 National Championships...the WCHA. I think it's more of North Dakota's inability to adjust to it. Often times we get caught not moving our feet and we rely on this too much, often times more than other WCHA teams. We take too many stupid penalties (especially Lee). It's ok, I still think this year we get one closer to Michigan for most Nat'l Champs... :silly:

This may very well be the most honest and profound post I've read here for a very, very long time. Frankly wish I'd strung these words together.

It's all about the Benjamins, which -- from the WCHA's perspective -- is about putting butts in seats. You don't put butts in seats by allowing the top teams in the league to consistently blow out the bottom teams of the league. It's about keeping alive the possibility that on any given night, No. 10 can beat No. 1.

And it works. This is why the D1 college level has a hard time expanding. We all talk about the Big 4 and look down our noses at the AH & CHA. The fact that Bemidji and others don't progress through the regionals isn't a mistake, but rather a result of the dollar. College hockey cannot compete with major juniors and strengthen the depth of the league at the same time. UNLESS, we are willing to acknowledge the AD's have complicated jobs and come to some consensus. What happened two years ago to save the CHA was great, then AF jumped ship because "it's a better fit". BS. They do fit better, in AH but that's not the true reason they left. They're just scared of the writing on the wall.

What happened two years ago to save the CHA was great, then AF jumped ship because "it's a better fit". BS. They do fit better, in AH but that's not the true reason they left. They're just scared of the writing on the wall.

I think it was more that they wanted to be in a conference with Army and that they can compete better in the AHA than they could the CHA.

This may very well be the most honest and profound post I've read here for a very, very long time. Frankly wish I'd strung these words together.

You're right and I agree with Happy (takes a shower :silly:

The only problem is that any given year, you'd just switch around the top three, which I know you understand. I don't think the East refs will stop anyone. The West will adjust. If you're the cream of D1, as some espouse, you are smart enough to change your game. It clear they already do this innerconference with the disparity you recognize. The top half play each other different than they play the bottom half.

Here's an example, somewhere in message board land I read someone calling out Porter and others for their 'techniques' to keep up. I know these exist but does Porter need to use them to keep up. I sincerely doubt it, he's one of the fastest skaters in D1. They all adjust and are opportunistic. They'll make the neccesary adjustments, especially teams with exceptional coaching staffs.

I think it was more that they wanted to be in a conference with Army and that they can compete better in the AHA than they could the CHA.

You're right but that was only a 'feel good' reason. Serratore said so himself. Each conference does what it can to survive. Travel costs are high and gate cues are not always full. My point is that the move AF made was a detriment to D1 not their program. Will college hockey be better off with 5 conferences? I think it'd be strengthened greater if it remained the same and added Canada. Agree or disagree the influx of 2-6 teams in the next 10 years would be good. The large schools wanting to get in might have leverage in the short term for recruiting but in the long term a degree from US Colleges/Universities will always be worth more.

But is that an excuse to not try, and maybe get officials into the right habit for next year.

I don't know if the last couple of weekends of WCHA play is a good time to try to make things right... (although it will be difficult whenever that time comes)

... I read someone calling out Porter and others for their 'techniques' ... They all adjust and are opportunistic.

They are opportunistic and have adjusted, unfortunately for the worse, by adopting bad habits, no, let's call them what they are, penalties (because they are outside the rules actions to gain a playing advantage), as a part of their game. And they've done this because they can, because they were presented the opportunity, and they adjusted to it, albeit outside the NCAA accepted officiating norms. The WCHA brass is an accomplice in this by allowing it.

They'll make the neccesary adjustments ...

I hope you're right, else this will transition from prediction to actuality:

... the WCHA teams will have a problem with it come NCAA time. The Eastern refs will completely stop a WCHA team in it's tracks.

CVCL is right. Why not dive if you know the officials will call the opposing player for a penalty? Even if they call the opposing player for tripping and you go off for diving, it still could be seen as beneficial to your team.

The WCHA officials (mainly thanks to their accountability standards and their inept administration) have only made cheap play more acceptable and bad habits more prevalent while putting their heads in the sand and saying the problems don't exist because they don't see it being a factor and the fact that no coach wants to come out and admit that their players routinely take advantage of the WCHA officials' ineptitude by diving or committing those offenses because they know it won't get caught.

CVCL is right. Why not dive if you know the officials will call the opposing player for a penalty? Even if they call the opposing player for tripping and you go off for diving, it still could be seen as beneficial to your team.

The WCHA officials (mainly thanks to their accountability standards and their inept administration) have only made cheap play more acceptable and bad habits more prevalent while putting their heads in the sand and saying the problems don't exist because they don't see it being a factor and the fact that no coach wants to come out and admit that their players routinely take advantage of the WCHA officials' ineptitude by diving or committing those offenses because they know it won't get caught.

That wasn't my point . Happy said this,

The bottom 6 or 7 teams need obstruction, or else MN, UND and SCSU would blow by them like a piece of pancake flat road kill. So, more than 50% of the WCHA teams never want obstruction called, ever. Shepard is just doing what he's told to do by the majority of coaches.
...about OBSTRUCTION.

and I responded by saying this,

If you're the cream of D1, as some espouse, you are smart enough to change your game. It clear they already do this innerconference with the disparity you recognize. The top half play each other different than they play the bottom half.

If you extract diving as one of those techniques that players use to gain advantage, that's on you. I don't support diving in anyway shape or form. I think the NHL should penalize players with a steep fine for such play. Hooking, body positioning, and interference are much different than diving. While illegal, if done blatantly or not, they are much less of an offense.

Even before the rule enforcement change the only way you'd get calls was by falling down. If you fought threw the holds and hooks there would be no call.

Diving is supposed to be a rule infraction but it's called in one out of an hundred chances. Frankly why wouldn't you dive except for the fact that you have some self-respect?