SiouxSports.com Forum

How will they call it?

The Sicatoka

That wasn't my point . Happy said this,

...about OBSTRUCTION.

and I responded by saying this,

If you extract diving as one of those techniques that players use to gain advantage, that's on you. I don't support diving in anyway shape or form. I think the NHL should penalize players with a steep fine for such play. Hooking, body positioning, and interference are much different than diving. While illegal, if done blatantly or not, they are much less of an offense.

My mistake. However, I was using Diving as an example and did not mean to imply that you supported diving in any way shape or form. I don't support diving either, but as Whistler says, the officials don't know diving when they see and so the opposing player goes to the box. So if you are a team at a competitive disadvantage (even if it is just a disadvantage at that point in the game) and you know that diving is cheap, but it will get the other team down a man, would you dive? I wouldn't but several Badgers would, several Gophers would, and I've seen several players on every WCHA team do it at one point. It is an example of the ineptitude of WCHA officiating.

A few years back when UND lost to Ferris State, I was flabbergasted when the official called a Ferris State player for diving. I didn't even know they even called that penalty at all! Then I found out it was a CCHA official and understood.

Diving is a penalty, but it is still done because it isn't called. And as Pappa Dork and Ostrich McLeod have shown in the past, there is nothing the NCAA can do to crackdown on it in the WCHA. I agree bad sportsmanship should be punished, but it's not nor will it ever be with the current powers that be.

Sorry for the misrepresentation.