SiouxSports.com Forum

Keys to the Game

SiouxFanInBoston

Getting down to the very basics, these are what I think will be the 3 keys to the games this weekend:

1) Keep the puck away from our goaltender (whoever he may be)...! Time for the Big D to step up!

2) Put the biscuit in the basket! The puck started bouncing our way again in Wisconsin. Keep it going, guys -- power play goals, even-strength goals, garbage goals, soft goals, goals off the defenseman's stick, SHG, ENG.... Not picky here. We'll take 'em all!

3) Rock the Ralph, SIOUX FANS!! Earn the seventh player award and make that home ice advantage mean something! (And, cheer doubly loud for those of us who can't be there!)

In my view, keep it simple and stick to the basics!

GO SIOUX!

A key point brought up by forecheck, ONE of the big problems in net for the Sioux this year in my opinion, has been rebounds, so that puts added pressure on the D to keep the front of the net clear and to get physical down low and put some people on their arses.

I think scoring early will be a key also, it will keep that confidence going and get the place rocking right away. Plus, against the great goalies that Denver has, getting on top of them early is key. I think we need to convince Spiewak he is playing against Ryan Miller again ;)

And, for the obvious, obvious point...STAY OUT THE BOX!!!

Wish I was there this weekend, but I will be in spirit. Hope the Ralph is rocking and loud. GO SIOUX!!!!

Strong physicial forechecking and cycling the puck are keys to countering Denver's mugging of forwards. Pound the crap out of them every time they get near the puck. Pepper the goalies whenver possible, and maybe keep somebody like Money or Prpich camped in front of the net for garbage shots. And I agree with keeping our zone clear, so solid clearing passes and smart puck play in our end is crucial.

Question: In WCHA play, which teams have scored fewer goals in the third period than North Dakota's 31?

Answer: Michigan Tech (30), Wisconsin (18) and UAA (16).

This isn't the company we want to keep. For the sake of comparison, the top three teams in third-period scoring are Mankato (50), CC (44) and Minnesota (40). Denver has 34 third-period goals.

In the WCHA, the Sioux have scored one more goal in the third period than they've given up. Until last weekend when the Sioux outscored the Badgers 3-0 in the third, they were on the negative side of that stat.

Besides winning the third period, the Sioux power play will be the key to beating Denver. While the Pioneers might get away with more clutching and grabbing than they should, my guess is that it will probably be called more than it was at Denver. If the Sioux don't capitalize on their power play opportunities, Denver has no incentive to stop the clutching, grabbing and tackling.

For anyone interested, Bruce Ciske, a Duluth-Superior sports talk radio host and frequent poster on USCHO, wrote this article for WDSM's Web site predicting the outcomes of this weekend's WCHA playoff series. He thinks Denver will take 2 of 3 from the Sioux.

You know, I feel really good about this weekend and am not really that nervous. I think everyone's extremely pumped and ready to go. Those quotes can just add fuel to fire and be even more incentive for the Sioux to play a couple of really solid 60- minute games. Confidence. That's what they need. And, I feel it right now.

I'm also getting tired of hearing the comparisons to the old Ralph atmosphere -- it's time to own REA and as I said initially, ROCK the place! I've been to games there so I know that maybe the sound doesn't travel as well and it's so much bigger, etc. So, my solution would be to yell louder and longer! Pretty soon those comparisons to the Old Ralph will go away ... No better time than this weekend to give it a whirl. (And, I wish soooo much I could be one of the 11,500+ strong in the stands!)

Go Sioux!

Every game at the Ralph this year there have been plenty of empty seats. Even the "sold out" games. Seats that are owned by the season ticket holders. I hope for the sake of the team, and everybody, that all the season ticket holders show up and we actually fill every seat in that place. That place would roar if we could actually fill it. Filling it is different than selling every seat. Maybe not the those in charge of accounting, but to the game, it's different.

Being the first post-season game of the new ralph, I hope that place rattles from the noise.

I'm nervous about the games. The Sioux just seem to struggle in these playoff games regardless of how good their teams have been. I think we will win but I think it will take three games to finally come out on top. Hopefully we get a lot of shots off and we don't hit the pipe a bunch of times and lastly we don't run into another got goaltender. For the sake of my health they need to come and just blow them out and then head to St Paul for the real playoffs.

You know, I feel really good about this weekend and am not really that nervous. I think everyone's extremely pumped and ready to go. Those quotes can just add fuel to fire and be even more incentive for the Sioux to play a couple of really solid 60- minute games. Confidence. That's what they need. And, I feel it right now.

I'm also getting tired of hearing the comparisons to the old Ralph atmosphere -- it's time to own REA and as I said initially, ROCK the place! I've been to games there so I know that maybe the sound doesn't travel as well and it's so much bigger, etc. So, my solution would be to yell louder and longer! Pretty soon those comparisons to the Old Ralph will go away ... No better time than this weekend to give it a whirl. (And, I wish soooo much I could be one of the 11,500+ strong in the stands!)

Go Sioux!

But really I think it has been loud in the ralph this season. Two Sundays ago the fans were up after UND score the goal to get even with UMD...

Keys to the game...........

Come out fast and strong. Take advantage of the home crowd, get the crowd going early which should fuel the team and their aggressiveness! SCORE< SCORE< did I say SCORE???

If the refs don't call penalties on the muggings, skate through it or through them! Play tough defensively, clear rebounds! No penalties......

I agree.....the old Engelstad ROCKED!...but, this is the new rink. I've heard it get really loud........let's get the place ROCKING from the get go! Cheer loud and long!

GO SIOUX!!!!!!!!

But really I think it has been loud in the ralph this season. Two Sundays ago the fans were up after UND score the goal to get even with UMD...

And how about when Spiewak and Notermann scored short-handed goals 12 seconds apart to tie Niagara? How about when David Hale scored his goal in the closing seconds to tie Colorado College? Was the old Ralph ever as loud?

All season long, I've heard Blais and the Sioux players say what a difference it makes to play at home and have the crowd behind them. I've heard opposing players and coaches say that the crowd at The Ralph helped change the momentum of some games.

When there is reason for the crowd to cheer and be involved in the game, it's every bit as intimidating and effective as it was in the old building.

it's every bit as intimidating and effective as it was in the old building.

to elaborate on this point:

3/9/01 - 3/11/01 3 playoff games vs Duluth

3/10/00 - 3/12/00 3 playoff games vs Denver

3/12/99 - 3/14/99 3 playoff games vs. MSU

all at the old Ralph -- my wish is that the Sioux get Friday and Saturday night wins and start that kind of tradition at the new Ralph

my wish is that the Sioux get Friday and Saturday night wins and start that kind of tradition at the new Ralph

I could go for that. Otherwise, I can't go to church all day on Sunday like I usually do. ;)

And, for the obvious, obvious point...STAY OUT THE BOX!!!

It took Prpich all of 2 shifts to take a stupid penalty - he lined up a DU guy behind the net, hammered him hard, but came in with elbow up - which led to the early goal which led to a loss of energy .... [damn].

So much for stay out of the box. Its a good theory.

PCM, we're gonna need you to go to church Saturday, please.  Sunday may be too late.

After what I witnessed tonight, I'm not sure that will even help. doh.gif

The worst part is, I have to write a recap of this game for USCHO and everything I type comes out looking like siouxrock wrote it. swearing.gif