SiouxSports.com Forum

Highlights Of WCHA Press Conference

jimdahl

Thanks, Jim.

I like the idea of Ryan Hale permanently playing defense. The Sioux need his size, strength, experience and puck-handling ability.

Do you have any idea what Blais meant when he mentioned "the other part" of David Hale's problem?

I thought we'd see Brandt in goal on Friday after Blais' comment last week about not starting any goalie back-to-back. But if Ranfranz is playing the best right now, he should be in there. Winning Friday night might be the key to the series with DU.

Other interesting statements (not quite quotes) from other coaches:

To CC:

Q: Is there a concern that since you're already in the NCAA tourney you might just drop two to AA?

A: We've never won the Broadmoor, so we still have a goal.

To Jack Kowal (assistant coach at AA):

Q: How do you recruit when you haven't won since October?

A: We tell recruits that they'll get a lot of playing time right away.

Wisconsin, on going to Mankato:

If they'd gone up to Minnesota, they would have been smoked, this team at least they can play with.

Unknown person responds:

At least the Holiday Inn is close to that strip bar.

I just returned from the monthly Fargo Sioux Booster's luncheon and because Blais was involved with the conference call, assistant coach Brad Berry spoke on behalf of the men's hockey team.

BB confirmed that Hale was at Mayo, but said he heard from David this morning and "it sounds positive" and that it (the mystery illness) isn't "as serious as they thought."

BB also stated that with the new information there is a chance that David could play again this season somewhere down the line.

BB also touched on the topic of goaltending and said Ranfranz has been playing very well of late, Jake is very capable, and Josh is a good goalie, but has struggled with inconsistency, which we all know.

He talked about how the team has "faltered" this February, but touched on the difficulty of the schedule and then emphasized that the team has been playing very well. He said he would tell anyone who asked if he felt they hadn't been playing well, but that has not been the case!

He also talked about how Parise and Bochenski didn't get a chance to play "hockey" during their last visit to Denver because of the constant "mugging" by Mackenzie and Caudwell and then reminded everyone that although Denver finished 7th, they were picked to win the league, have solid goaltending and two really good forwards in Kevin Doell and Conner James.

He then touched on the reffing in the league and said it has been very inconsistent, then caught himself before saying too much and said about the refs, "they're okay, you just never know what you are going to get."

He said that other than Hale, the team is very healthy and, at this point, as go Parise and Bochenski, so go the rest of the team.

On a related note, Roger Thomas addressed the crowd and said that ticket availability will NOT be a problem for this weekend's games. He assured the audience that anyone who makes the trip to GF this weekend will get tickets.

RT also told the audience that the issue with the student seating has been resolved and decision about where the students will be moved to will be made public in the next couple of weeks.

That is all I have. I noticed a few other members from this board in attendance and invite them to fill in anything I may have missed.

Thanks to all you folks for taking the time to share with us.

That is (potentially, preliminarily) great news about D. Hale. I don't actually care (much) at this point whether he is able to suit up again for the Sioux yet this season, but if he's able to get well and continue his career that would be great. Now we just need Merrimack's goalie to wake up.

That is (potentially, preliminarily) great news about D. Hale.  I don't actually care (much) at this point whether he is able to suit up again for the Sioux yet this season, but if he's able to get well and continue his career that would be great.  Now we just need Merrimack's goalie to wake up.

well said...best of luck to Dave Hale and Joe Exter on playing again. Nobody ever wants to see people get hurt the way Exter did against BU

Tangent to original topic:

Tim and Swyg talked to Andy S this morning -- couple of nuggets:

regarding the advantage of mile high at Denver and CC -- dread penatly kills 'cause it is really hard to catch your breath, especially at CC, you're just running around trying to kill 'em off -- can hardly wait for period breaks to go into the locker room and collapse onto your back and put your feet in the air -- Mr. RE should have built a mountain to put the Ralph on so we'd have that advantage too. ;)

Regarding Winchester from Wisconsin trying to pick a fight with ZP last weekend -- with playoffs next (this) weekend no way were we going to let ZP fight, now, in Nov. and/or early Dec we'd let them go as ZP is feisty and doesn't back down, but during playoffs they need him to be on the ice scoring.

I can't imagine the team letting Zach fight. I would think one punch and Greene, Schneider, et al would be in there showing Winchester what's up.

I know this is NOT the time to do it being the play off and all; but maybe next year at one of the non-conference games or something, if Parise gets ridden like he has been this season maybe he should go drop the gloves and pummel some one just to send a message that he can dish it out too.

regarding the advantage of mile high at Denver and CC --  dread penatly kills 'cause it is really hard to catch your breath, especially at CC, you're just running around trying to kill 'em off -- can hardly wait for period breaks to go into the locker room and collapse onto your back and put your feet in the air --  Mr. RE should have built a mountain to put the Ralph on so we'd have that advantage too.  ;)

tangent followup

all Sioux players are welcome to come stay at my place west of Col Springs, 9200 ft elevation, and run trails/work out prior to any Colorado series...takes about 3 days to get used to the elevation. Though it might get a little crowded if they ALL show up... :D

Go Sioux!