SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota State-Moorhead Dragons

JESUS,family,rutgers

• 1 year later...

MSU-Moorhead and Edna

If the results match the talk, or even come close, the Dragons will have their very own version of Joe Chapman, the president who’s led North Dakota State into a Golden Age of athletics with the idea that football and basketball games are the best way to sell your university.

“This is going to be a different time for Dragon athletics,” Szymanski said. “Mark my words.”

The promise comes across more ambitious than cocky, which is good considering MSUM’s long history of under-funded, under-supported athletic programs. The Dragons rank near the bottom of the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference in scholarship money.

Still, Szymanski’s talk is big and aggressive. This is not business as usual coming from the presidential suite at Owens Hall in sleepy south Moorhead.

Note to Edna:

add men's hockey (even if it means dropping numerous other Dragon sports), play in the Urban Plains arena, become Bemidji's partner, saving the CHA, and you'll gain MSU-Moorhead a level of support in the F-M area they have never before witnessed.

what about moving minnesota crookston up to div 1 or some of the other d-3 teams to help that conference.

UMC is having a tough time fielding competitive division two teams so I don't think they could do it.

UMC is having a tough time fielding competitive division two teams so I don't think they could do it.

Maybe so, but looking to a DII team that is out here or near Robert Morris could be the answer.

Perhaps a team like St. Norbert. Robert Morris is out east, right? So maybe entice Norwich?

If any Fargo-Moorhead school is likely to go DI hockey it will either be Concordia (not likely) or NDSU (not hopefully).

Maybe so, but looking to a DII team that is out here or near Robert Morris could be the answer.

Perhaps a team like St. Norbert. Robert Morris is out east, right? So maybe entice Norwich?

If any Fargo-Moorhead school is likely to go DI hockey it will either be Concordia (not likely) or NDSU (not hopefully).

During the late 1990's I remember a lot of talk about St Norberts going division one but it appears that it has been squashed.

Robert Morris is an interesting story they are definately going to be better in the years to come if they can find a conference.

If not for the effective block on DIIIs moving up hockey to play at DI level (only the existing DIIIs playing DI hockey are allowed to give scholarships) I'd guess Concordia College would be the best best to play DI hockey in Fargo-Moorhead.

Good luck to Edna and the Dragon faithful. She has her hands completely filled up, with the existing slate of sports at MSUM. Football would have to drive any growth in F-M area, and they are years away. NDSU is the only bet for DI hockey in the Fargo-Moorhead area. :silly:

I stand by my opinion that Bemidji State should not be let into the WCHA. If the WCHA is going to look at expansion I think that they need to look at the long term future of college hockey. I believe that the WCHA working to add schools such as the University of Colorado, Colorado State and even NDSU would be a better course. I don't think it would be so bad to see the WCHA have 2 divisions, one primarily based in Minnesota and the other primarily based in Colorado. Even possibly having the Colorado division break off into its own conference with schools such as DU, CC, UC, CSU, UAA, UAF, UNO and maybe NDSU. Obviously this would be a ways down the road. But having a true western conference would be nice and possibly encourage more western schools to look at the sport.

As far as Bemidji and Crookston, I think it would be a better course to try and get a hand full of NSIC schools to add hockey and look at having a DII NSIC hockey league that includes schools like Winona, UMary, Moorhead, Southwestern, Auggie and possibly some GLIAC and MIAA schools. Even though the NCAA doesn't give a DII championship, you could still have a NSIC championship tournament at one of the WCHA school's arenas at the end of the season and likely still draw a nice crowd. Try getting the MIAA, GLIAC, and Rocky Mountain conferences to eventually offer hockey, even at a very limited or no scholarship and try to get DII hockey going again.

Overall I think this would be the best for college hockey. And if you can get DII hockey going again in the midwest, it could possibly someday be a feeder system for DI hockey and schools looking to move up in the future.

Just my random opinions.

• 3 weeks later...