SiouxSports.com Forum

Force of the North

Sioux27

I just received a phone call and was told that there will be an announcement on Friday that UND will be dropping the Fighting Sioux nickname to "Force of the North" but will be keeping the logo.

Has anyone else heard this? Please tell me this is a load of crap. My source is typically reliable but this seems a little "out there" for it to be happening at this time.

I just received a phone call and was told that there will be an announcement on Friday that UND will be dropping the Fighting Sioux nickname to "Force of the North" but will be keeping the logo.

Has anyone else heard this? Please tell me this is a load of crap. My source is typically reliable but this seems a little "out there" for it to be happening at this time.

I guess it depends on who the caller was...Kupchella or NanoBison?

Given the fact that this makes absolutely no sense because it would in no way satisfy the NCAA, I'd be inclined to pronounce it bovine scatology.

... dropping the Fighting Sioux nickname to "Force of the North" but will be keeping the logo.

Let's play "Logic 101":

The NCAA policy is against American Indian related monikers, logos, and mascots.

How would changing the moniker, but not the logo(!), solve anything?

Even that small logical process thought, alone, proves that this "rumor" was hokum.

Plus, they haven't come to me yet for my "Cavalry" logo design. :blush:

Yes, but. From what I recall from my school days about a hundred years ago, American Indians were much more susceptible to diseases such as small pox, due to a lower tolerance immune system. Small pox was not prevalent prior to colonization.

I could make a joke about tobacco, but I'll refrain. :blush: