SiouxSports.com Forum

Free webcast

sprig

For those without FSSN, webcasts will be available and free, for the rest of the year (hockey and bb):

http://fightingsioux.xosn.com/ViewArticle....p;ATCLID=788836

BB tonight.

Some interesting thoughts come to mind with this:

1. What about those who subscribed to the webcasts? Since it is now free and they paid for it, it certainly doesn't seem fair... or is this a different thing than dataflix?

2. If this is dataflix, what does this say about the program? Once again, the "powers that be" are seeing the aftermath of an improperly executed program (to recap, I argued that Dataflix should have been free of charge for at least the first year of operation in order to test market response and address issues that arise during high demand webcasts. They didn't listen and it's been relatively disasterous since).

Some interesting thoughts come to mind with this:

1. What about those who subscribed to the webcasts? Since it is now free and they paid for it, it certainly doesn't seem fair... or is this a different thing than dataflix?

2. If this is dataflix, what does this say about the program? Once again, the "powers that be" are seeing the aftermath of an improperly executed program (to recap, I argued that Dataflix should have been free of charge for at least the first year of operation in order to test market response and address issues that arise during high demand webcasts. They didn't listen and it's been relatively disasterous since).

It is not Dataflix...there was a recent article that said they were using a new system. I will look for it...

I would like to thank whoever for the free webcasts I've been able to watch this year. Quality wasn't the greatest but it beat listening to the radio even with the trade-off of Sweeney for Hennessey.

Looks like in the future we'll have to pay for it though. Bummer.

I would like to thank whoever for the free webcasts I've been able to watch this year. Quality wasn't the greatest but it beat listening to the radio even with the trade-off of Sweeney for Hennessey.

Looks like in the future we'll have to pay for it though. Bummer.

I don't mind paying an annual fee to get my Sioux sports fix. Hockey has been nice, but it will be that much better to watch MBB, WBB and FB as well.

This is great news for those of us who live out of the GF area who definitely need our Sioux fix! After reading the article, it sounds like they did an upgrade to the system last week, so we'll have to see if it's better than earlier. As Dagies said, where it wasn't the best quality, it still allows us to watch our Sioux sports!

How about a primer for those who are a little more technically challenged (not me of course), just being a good samaritan.

1. Are the only 2 views the small one and full screen? Is here anything in between?

2. Can you set the audio to TH and not listen to Sweeny?

Appears to be much better than the previous attempt. I certainly wil pay to get my fix.

Thx in advance

How about a primer for those who are a little more technically challenged (not me of course), just being a good samaritan.

1. Are the only 2 views the small one and full screen? Is here anything in between?

2. Can you set the audio to TH and not listen to Sweeny?

Appears to be much better than the previous attempt. I certainly wil pay to get my fix.

Thx in advance

The two views are the only possible options in the popup window with media player. If you open the url in media player itself (start mp, file-open url), You can resize the screen by clicking and dragging the edges of media player to a preferred size (still only two zoom levels, however).

http://fightingsioux.xosn.com/onDemand/OnD...=13500&KEY= (copy and paste this url into your media player open url box to try it out, it's the archived version of last night's broadcast).

Yes, you can start the TH audio during the game and listen to him, but it won't by synchronized with the video. You can stop and start either and get them close to synchronized, at least for awhile.

the video looks good, but you have to choose either to have audio or video, is anyone else having this problem?

That was the case for the bb games, but the televised hockey games have full broadcast, with Sweeney and Bredahl last night.

The two views are the only possible options in the popup window with media player. If you open the url in media player itself (start mp, file-open url), You can resize the screen by clicking and dragging the edges of media player to a preferred size (still only two zoom levels, however).

http://fightingsioux.xosn.com/onDemand/OnD...=13500&KEY= (copy and paste this url into your media player open url box to try it out, it's the archived version of last night's broadcast).

Yes, you can start the TH audio during the game and listen to him, but it won't by synchronized with the video. You can stop and start either and get them close to synchronized, at least for awhile.

Do you have Windows Media Player 11? I couldn't get this to work at all last night, but used to do it with the previous broadcast on version 10. Also, anyone able to get the embedded player to work with Firefox? I had a lot of buffing problems last night, missed several goals. Hopefully they have enough bandwidth to support all of the people that will now be watching.

Do you have Windows Media Player 11? I couldn't get this to work at all last night, but used to do it with the previous broadcast on version 10. Also, anyone able to get the embedded player to work with Firefox? I had a lot of buffing problems last night, missed several goals. Hopefully they have enough bandwidth to support all of the people that will now be watching.

I too didn't have a problem until last night with the webcast.

I ended up downloading the Windows Media Player (don't know if it was 11) that was on the top of the live event page, http://fightingsioux.xosn.com/liveEvents/l...DB_OEM_ID=13500

I only got a black screen for awhile but after leaving the site and going back to it a couple of times I got video and audio. I also clicked on every right click pop up because I was getting frustrated and didn't know what else to do :lol: . I have Firefox too. I don't really know how I got it to work but didn't get anything until I down loaded the Windows Media player. I thought I always had it but maybe after I switched to Firefox something needed tweaking.

Yes, I have 11 and I can use it with firefox, although I prefer opening mp itself so I can resize the window. I had it on TV, so I only checked out the webcast pregame then shut it down. Women's hockey and Men's BB is on right now.

Edit: The men's bb game is too jerky (stop and go) to watch.

I am glad to tell any Mac users like myself that the webcast works great on a Macintosh.

If you click on the link at fightingsioux.com, the game will load into your QuickTime player. You do have to hit "play" to start it though. Also, go into QuickTime preferences and under "Streaming" set it to match what your streaming speed is. (If you don't know it, check with your ISP.) I did this tonight, and my video quality improved greatly.

This worked pretty slick for me on Saturday, until I had to go out. I was just pleased to see the team playing, since it's a rarity in this part of the world. I just used the player on the site, and expanded the screen with a right click. Pic quality wasn't bad at full screen. Now, I have to figure out how to hook my computer up to the new 42" LED TV I'm eyeing. :angry:

Can anyone open the webcast directly in media player? get codec error messages when i try to.

Yes, you can, but not by copying the url from the link on the xosn site; that link contains script that opens mp in another window, and does not contain the name of the video stream file. Get the correct link by opening the scripted version in another window, right click on the video, and select properties, and copy the url from there. That one will open in media player.

Here's the archived link from Saturday's game that will open directly in mp

http://fightingsioux.xosn.com/onDemand/OnD...=13500&KEY=

I think the first period is fairly good, but I wouldn't recommend watching periods 2 and 3 :angry: