SiouxSports.com Forum

5 New Hockey Rinks coming to Fargo

LB#11

Looks like things are coming together for an expansion to hockey in Fargo. Originally the cost was to be around 40 Million Dollars, that has since been reduced to around 34 Million. They are going to be built just north of 32nd Avenue & just west of 45th Street. The main arena will seat 4900 people and have 40 Luxury Suites, the main youth arena will seat 2200 and the other 3 youth rinks will hold 800 each. The cost of the main arena will be around 20 Million...the people behind the project have been working with NDSU to no avail...they would have went to a 7500 to 8000 seat rink if NDSU would have been interested. They are working with a couple different USHL teams, for now the Jets team looks like it will be going into a very nice facuility.

The youth rinks are projected to be done in October of 2008, with the main arena projected for October of 2009. I think it's fantastic that people have visions for the future. I know Fargo has never been noted for being a hockey town, but with this project I think things look very bright for the future of hockey in Fargo.

PS No matter what...I will always be a UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING SIOUX FAN.

Looks like things are coming together for an expansion to hockey in Fargo. Originally the cost was to be around 40 Million Dollars, that has since been reduced to around 34 Million. They are going to be built just north of 32nd Avenue & just west of 45th Street. The main arena will seat 4900 people and have 40 Luxury Suites, the main youth arena will seat 2200 and the other 3 youth rinks will hold 800 each. The cost of the main arena will be around 20 Million...the people behind the project have been working with NDSU to no avail...they would have went to a 7500 to 8000 seat rink if NDSU would have been interested. They are working with a couple different USHL teams, for now the Jets team looks like it will be going into a very nice facuility.

The youth rinks are projected to be done in October of 2008, with the main arena projected for October of 2009. I think it's fantastic that people have visions for the future. I know Fargo has never been noted for being a hockey town, but with this project I think things look very bright for the future of hockey in Fargo.

PS No matter what...I will always be a UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING SIOUX FAN.

Granted, I know very little of the state of hockey in Fargo, but what are they going to do with 40 luxury suites? The last time I remember seeing attendance figures for the Jets it was around 800.

Granted, I know very little of the state of hockey in Fargo, but what are they going to do with 40 luxury suites? The last time I remember seeing attendance figures for the Jets it was around 800.

I think the attendance figures for the Jets games have increased a little to maybe 11-1200. I am involved with the termite program which is 4 to 6 year olds...there are 170 kids in the program...11 teams. I know the Mites program is very strong, as are all the pee wee programs and everything up the ladder. What I'm getting at is, I see a very strong trend towards hockey in Fargo, therefore I think attendance figures will increase. The simple fact that going to a hockey game in a beautiful new 20 Million Dollar rink opposed to going to the Fargo Coliseum is a huge difference. They are also planning on playing bigger high school games there.

Plans are to have a 32 team youth tournament almost every weekend, with the championship games slotted for the larger rink. A couple years ago I would have thought there is no way something like this would fly in Fargo...since that time I have seen such a jump in enthuisiam for the sport. I see where there would be skeptism, but I think it's a terrific plan.

I think Fargo is huge in youth hockey, and the new arena is long overdue. But, I too, wonder about the 40 luxury suites. I just dont see the demand for those, for youth games or even high school.

It sounds like the suites will be built on the main concourse, so you will be close to the action. I'm not exactly sure how many of the suites have been sold so far, I believe that number is between 8 & 12. If you can get a few people together, the suites are the way to go. I believe by the year 2009 that all those suites will be sold, remember it's scheduled to open in October of 2009. More of this project will be in the news in coming weeks which will add to the enthusiam.

I doubt state is going anywhere but the EDC tourney will have a great home if this happens.

The EDC tourney has never been a big draw in Grand Forks, knowing the state tournament would be at the Ralph the following weekend. The state tourney will be at the Ralph for a long time, I think the EDC would generate more interest in Fargo.

I for one hope this venture succeeds, but by your directions, I assume you are describing the plot of land directly south of Famous Daves. That area is being developed now as retail and medical. Seems unlikely that the land available is sufficient in size for the scale of this project.

I for one hope this venture succeeds, but by your directions, I assume you are describing the plot of land directly south of Famous Daves. That area is being developed now as retail and medical. Seems unlikely that the land available is sufficient in size for the scale of this project.

If you click on the general brochure in the following link there is a map of the area.

Urban Plains

I looked at the land yesterday...I thought the same thing. It would be directly south of the new Medical Center being built, there is a good size pile of dirt there right now. The information I got was pretty much 1st hand, I'll check into it a little more.

Interesting doings regarding an arena on the other side of town.

Fargodome sales taxes, and escrows, and publicly finanaced arenas (assumably for NDSU) seems to be the latest, trendiest bloodsport in Fargo. :sad:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm...mp;section=news

Saw the clips from the meeting last night...didn't look like Denny was too happy with Mike Williams.

... what he is proposing is against ... bylaws.

You mean you're supposed to follow those?

Somebody got Myles Brand's or Walt Harrison's cell number? :sad:

Mike Williams has never seen an arena proposal that he's liked. I don't blame him for his point of view. He got elected with it. However, yes, he must also make sure what he proposes is legal.

Personally, Fargo needs a better place than "Gate City Bank Theatre at the Fargodome" for shows and events. The Fargo Theatre ain't it.

Grand Forks is blessed with the Chester Fritz Auditorium.

You'd think, being a city commissioner and all, that Mike Williams would know what he is proposing is against city bylaws.

3-1509. Dedication of tax proceeds.--In accordance with Article 3P(4) of the Home Rule

Charter of the city of Fargo, the revenues raised and collected pursuant to this article, less

administrative expenses, are hereby dedicated to the construction, maintenance, and operation of a

multi-purpose dome facility to be located on or adjacent to the campus of North Dakota State

University to be used as a center for conventions and/or conferences, musical activities, sports

activities and such other convention, cultural and sports functions as the dome authority, hereinafter

created, may deem appropriate. Proceeds from such tax may be used to make direct payment of the

costs for such construction, maintenance and operation or may be pledged to amortize bonds or other

debt instruments which may be sold to finance such costs; provided, that such proceeds shall be

deposited in two separate funds, to be established and utilized as follows:

A. FargoDome Debt Service and Reserve Fund - Proceeds from the sales and

use tax shall be placed in this fund in an amount which is sufficient to

amortize any bonds or other debt instruments which may be sold to finance

the construction cost of the FargoDome, and to provide a reserve therefor.

The amount to be placed in this fund and disbursed therefrom shall be as

provided in any resolution authorizing the bonds or other debt instruments.

B. FargoDome Sales Tax Surplus Fund - All proceeds from the sales and use tax

which are not placed in the FargoDome Debt Service and Reserve Fund as

hereinabove provided shall be placed in this fund to be utilized for

construction, operation, and maintenance of the FargoDome. Use of such

funds by the Fargo Dome Authority shall be subject to approval of the board

of city commissioners of the city of Fargo.

According to the by-laws is an addition to the Farogdome covered here or is this language specifically for the original construction of the dome?

I think that the urban plains area is on a full section of land. Plenty of room for this arena.

Everything that LB #11 goes with what I heard. I heard $30 million not $39 and 4,000 not 4,900, but the location is correct. The devloper has offered to donate the land and a significant cash donation. I'm optimistic that the project will get done, it is long over due.

• 4 weeks later...

Arena news breeds much skepticism

News item: A $30 million hockey arena is planned for south Fargo. Maybe.

News item: A United States Hockey League team will occupy the arena. Maybe.

News item: Dean Blais will coach the team. Big maybe.

The plot thickens...

There is another twist, too. One of the reasons Blais left the University of North Dakota was because of frustration with the management of Engelstad Arena. The general manager of the arena at that time was Todd Berning. Where is Berning now? In Fargo, heavily involved in the Brandt arena project.

Arena news breeds much skepticism

The plot thickens...

I'll admit to knowing nothing about this, but when has that stopped my input before... It seems very unlikely that Blais leaving UND had anything to due with frustration with REA's management. If Blais were to snap his fingers, or even just flash his silver tooth to the right person, Engelstad would be looking for new management. Right?