SiouxSports.com Forum

Something Smells Fishy ...

NanoBison

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a rumor about 2 years ago that REA would do all it could to defend the logo, I guess that rumor was in essence true.

IMHO, there are a number of very wealthy backers who would "do all it could" to defend the logo. The issue is much bigger than the logo.

If the Forum really thinks the source of private donations should be public knowledge maybe they should do some investigative reporting and find out the mystery donor who keeps writing the checks to keep the ag college's athletic budget balanced to the penny every year. He's shielding the public from having hard proof of Chapman and Taylor's ineptitude when it comes to balancing a budget and thus doing a disservice to taxpayers by enabling the schools fiscal irresponsibility.

From the newspaper editorial:

It should be as transparent a proceeding as possible.
The judge in this case ruled that the NCAA can keep their Executive Committee minutes private.
This is a good point-this was raised in the earlier thread about the NCAA keeping their notes private. If the newspaper would have editorialized about that decision, it would have made their newest commentary more relevant.

Again from the newspaper editorial:

They can get away with it because their actions are not illegal.
Hmmm, "get away with it"? Okay, we get your point; you don

• 2 months later...

UND nickname legal fees pass $430,000; paid in full

As of mid-April, Fabian and Clenendin had billed about $315,000 for its work on the lawsuit, but money in the Foundation's fund could only pay off about half that amount. That led to speculation public financial support might run dry before the lawsuit reached its conclusion.

UND President Charles Kupchella has repeatedly said that certain unnamed litigation fund donors have assured him they will make up any shortfall in the fund, a statement that would seem to be borne out by news of the fund's solvency.

Emphasis mine.

I guess I just don't understand why it's news that the litigation bill has been paid in full. Does the Forum think that the bill isn't going to be paid, and UND is just going to throw in the towel and forget about the lawsuit.

I wish I could have the 3 minutes that it took me to read that article back. :bigsmile:

I guess I just don't understand why it's news that the litigation bill has been paid in full. Does the Forum think that the bill isn't going to be paid, and UND is just going to throw in the towel and forget about the lawsuit.

During the news conference at which the lawsuit was announced, Kupchella stated in no uncertain terms that the cost would be covered by private donations. Who would be in a better position than him to know that? Nonetheless, every time there's an outstanding balance, it's reported as a significant development.

Even after it was reported that the Engelstad Family Foundation had agreed to pay the cost of the lawsuit -- confirming what Kupchella said from the beginning -- the media continued to treat each unpaid balance as a significant development in the lawsuit, implying that there was no more money.

So we now know that Kupchella wasn't lying when he said the cost would be covered and we know the Engelstads weren't lying when they said they'd pay the bills. But because "public speculation" is far better informed than either Kupchella or the Engelstads when it comes to financing the lawsuit, we must believe that the news media is being forced against its will to report on each unpaid balance.

It's certainly not because the NCAA and other nickname opponents are using the media to advance their agendas. I would never be so tactless as to suggest such a thing.

Edited by PCM

Nonetheless, every time there's an outstanding balance, it's reported as a significant development.

But it's paid, so why is that newsworthy?

I paid for my contact lenses last week when I ordered another box, I wonder when the Forum will call me for an interview.

But it's paid, so why is that newsworthy?

They report when there's an outstanding balance. But it's like reporting that I haven't paid my Visa bill within a few days after receiving it in the mail. Just because I haven't paid it yet doesn't mean that I'm bankrupt.

They report when there's an outstanding balance. But it's like reporting that I haven't paid my Visa bill within a few days after receiving it in the mail. Just because I haven't paid it yet doesn't mean that I'm bankrupt.

They reported today that it was paid.