SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs SEAWOLVES

AZSIOUX

I love having TJ Oshie on the Sioux, but I wonder if part of the reason he seems so snakebitten is that, with his all-out style of play, he is often just this side of being out of control physically. I think his style of play (and the fact that other teams keep close track of him) makes him just a little harder to hit with a clean pass with him square to the net. It seems that his "almost" goals are so often sensational, not Potulny-type goals. That said, he'll start burying them, and I can't think of anyone I'd rather have on my team.

they are simply just not going into the net. hes great, we all know that but he has had so many gret chances that have gone into the goalie its getting frusterating, he needs to start finishing if this team wants to improve and work on home ice. hes to dam good not to finish these chance, amazing...hope it starts tomorrow night for him. he sure works hard enough, now finish

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.. he needs to start finishing if this team wants to improve and work on home ice. hes to dam good not to finish these chance, amazing...hope it starts tomorrow night for him. he sure works hard enough, now finish

I don't understand. How can he 'finish'? He's all over the ice, passing, checking, hitting the pipe, going just a bit over or to the left or right of the net. He's got what it takes, we all agree on that but what else can he do? How can he 'finish'?

I just wish he'd take more shots and pass less.

Was there something that happened behind the play that got him so chapped? I didn't make the drive up & you just never get those "after" play, plays when you watch on the net. It just doesn't really seem to fit with what happened in the game.

Wi, anything that you saw? Did he get run or something?

Phil was very into the whole game... he had a very interesting game to say the least. Some of the things that I noticed: I thought that Phil was generally last off after warm ups when he started... however, I saw about ten players still on the ice and he was no where to be found... so I thought that was a little weird. During introductions, not sure if I just don't play attention, but he was standing in the goal before his name got called. And then when he skated out in his spotlight, they put the wrong picture on the scoreboard and it was actually Brittany Kirkham, one of the women's players. There were a few times when Phil had the puck covered that UAA players were slashing at his glove, but I also saw him get up one or two times and basically cross checked the player right back. He made some great saves, even in overtime when he didn't have his stick.

As for his actions at the end of the game.... nothing in particular seemed to set him off. I saw him talking to the ref like he wanted to speak with him after the game, and so I watched when he was hanging around center ice. As Stromer mentioned, it seemed like it was directed at the UAA goalie, Lawson. Lawson's helmet came off three or four times, he got taken out two or three times... and complained (I mean talked) to the ref a lot...

I don't understand. How can he 'finish'? He's all over the ice, passing, checking, hitting the pipe, going just a bit over or to the left or right of the net. He's got what it takes, we all agree on that but what else can he do? How can he 'finish'?

I still think we need to get him some "action". You know, bad water out.

well he had 3 times tonight in front of the net getting good passes, one from toews that i rememeber good. only he knows how he can finish a play and score a goal, we have seen it, just bad damn luck most of the times....come on osh!!

, one from toews that i rememeber good. only he knows how he can finish a play and score a goal, we have seen it, just bad damn luck most of the times....come on osh!!

Yeah, in front of the net, and he whiffs the puck. I think he's got a black cloud over him that's giving him some bad luck.

While Kozek isn't TJ, he's had the same bad luck with his shots. They all seem to be just a little enough off that the puck doesn't go in goal. I guess it's not just Kozek and Oshie, that damn black cloud is hanging over the whole damn team. Maybe just not as much over some as others.

Phil was very into the whole game... he had a very interesting game to say the least. Some of the things that I noticed: I thought that Phil was generally last off after warm ups when he started... however, I saw about ten players still on the ice and he was no where to be found... so I thought that was a little weird. During introductions, not sure if I just don't play attention, but he was standing in the goal before his name got called. And then when he skated out in his spotlight, they put the wrong picture on the scoreboard and it was actually Kelsey Fletcher, one of the women's players. There were a few times when Phil had the puck covered that UAA players were slashing at his glove, but I also saw him get up one or two times and basically cross checked the player right back. He made some great saves, even in overtime when he didn't have his stick.

As for his actions at the end of the game.... nothing in particular seemed to set him off. I saw him talking to the ref like he wanted to speak with him after the game, and so I watched when he was hanging around center ice. As Stromer mentioned, it seemed like it was directed at the UAA goalie, Lawson. Lawson's helmet came off three or four times, he got taken out two or three times... and complained (I mean talked) to the ref a lot...

Thanks! Great re-cap. Something just sounds off here. Like he was pressing too hard to "take back the Ralph". I did see a couple of those slashes on the TV (over the net) coverage. But I thought our guys were doing a much better job of smacking them around, even Lee threw a couple of good checks. They showed Lawson with his hat off a few times, he looked like a little bitch.

I just knew I should have made the drive up this weekend.

I thought Toews played really f^%$ing good. :angry::lol:

But seriously, that line could just as well have had 6 goals, for all the great chances.

Not only is TJ snake-bit to a ridiculous degree, the whole team continues to be snakebited. On UAA's first goal, Genoway is half-step behind his guy, he takes a golf whack at it and it goes in. On their second goal, Porter should just have hauled the guy down - - UAA could have gone 30 minutes on the powerplay tonight and not scored (watch them get 3 on the pp tomorrow). On the third goal, its Lamoureaux save, Lammy save, Lammy save, goal. Lee covers a guy that Chorney was checking, someone's open, and bam four whacks later its in the net.

Very frustrating to watch, again. The worst part is we played a da#$ good game. We played with fire, I can remember many nice body checks - from the shortest guy Duncan on his first shift, to big Joe.

Kaip-Fabian-Radke were terrific in wearing out UAA's defense. Hit, pokecheck, hit, pokecheck, hit. In one sequence where UAA was on the breakout all three guys hit three different puck carriers within a 5 second span. It was great. Love it.

Porter-Watkins were very good on the PK, but Porter and Miller were on the ice for all three UAA goals. (Watkins for two.) Porter with a great check on the showboat goalie (Lawson wears #52, he must have always wanted to be a linebacker) :lol:

Vandevelde laid out a guy behind the UAA net with a nice hit.

Chorney was excellent tonight, including a nice diving pokecheck to stifle a breakaway chance.

The radio guys had Lammy as #2 star, with several terrific saves, and I think he deserved it. No bad goals tonight, and some very good saves.

=====================================

For tomorrow, look to see some fresh legs in the lineup. I hope Kaip-Radke-Fabian start again, they earned it. I wouldn't mind seeing Miller go onto the line with Toews and Duncan as a way to maybe get things jump started.

We need a win tomorrow, or the odds of making the NCAA's just keep getting longer. ... time is running out.

Nah, isn't there something about losing your edge/strength/whatever it's called if there's 'action' for an athlete. At least that's what I told my boys! :angry:

I thought that was just with boxers before a fight? The safety that played next to me when we played for the Sioux was the exact opposite. He couldn't remember which way to run down the field if he didn't "take the edge off" the night before the game. Sports and superstition go together like milk and cookies. :lol:

I thought Toews played really f^%$ing good. :angry::lol:

But seriously, that line could just as well have had 6 goals, for all the great chances.

Not only is TJ snake-bit to a ridiculous degree, the whole team continues to be snakebited. On UAA's first goal, Genoway is half-step behind his guy, he takes a golf whack at it and it goes in. On their second goal, Porter should just have hauled the guy down - - UAA could have gone 30 minutes on the powerplay tonight and not scored (watch them get 3 on the pp tomorrow). On the third goal, its Lamoureaux save, Lammy save, Lammy save, goal. Lee covers a guy that Chorney was checking, someone's open, and bam four whacks later its in the net.

Very frustrating to watch, again. The worst part is we played a da#$ good game. We played with fire, I can remember many nice body checks - from the shortest guy Duncan on his first shift, to big Joe.

Kaip-Fabian-Radke were terrific in wearing out UAA's defense. Hit, pokecheck, hit, pokecheck, hit. In one sequence where UAA was on the breakout all three guys hit three different puck carriers within a 5 second span. It was great. Love it.

Porter-Watkins were very good on the PK, but Porter and Miller were on the ice for all three UAA goals. (Watkins for two.) Porter with a great check on the showboat goalie (Lawson wears #52, he must have always wanted to be a linebacker) :lol:

Vandevelde laid out a guy behind the UAA net with a nice hit.

Chorney was excellent tonight, including a nice diving pokecheck to stifle a breakaway chance.

The radio guys had Lammy as #2 star, with several terrific saves, and I think he deserved it. No bad goals tonight, and some very good saves.

=====================================

For tomorrow, look to see some fresh legs in the lineup. I hope Kaip-Radke-Fabian start again, they earned it. I wouldn't mind seeing Miller go onto the line with Toews and Duncan as a way to maybe get things jump started.

We need a win tomorrow, or the odds of making the NCAA's just keep getting longer. ... time is running out.

I saw a different game than you. Alaska Anchorage basically took it to us the last 2 periods. They camped out in front of our goal way too much and out shot us. We have some guys who don't show up at all - I'll be surprised if some of them score this year. This is not a good hockey team. Remember, this isn't the Gophers we tied, it's Alaska Anchorage . In addition, the poor play of the Sioux has killed what ever atmosphere was left at the Ralph. We are not a team to be feared anymore. Teams must love to come to the Ralph. We'd best ratchet things up soon or not only is this year shot, but we will be on a serious downhill slide. I'm not happy with the state of Sioux hockey.

I am expecting nothing from this team this year. I think that we will finish strong however i think that we will not even come close to the team that we have had the past couple years. Corporate this! I pay too much for such !@#!$ fans... IM sorry

I am already counting on the Sioux not being in the final five or the NCAA tourney.

They have to basically win 9 or 10 games and only lose maybe a few more games and still have games with SCSU, Denver and Minnesota (thats potentially 6 losses right there if they keep playing like this) Not good prospects if they can't even beat a middle of the road team in UAA. The Beavers are going to run them out of the building if they don't get their act together.

The definition of a loser is someone who keeps on dong the same thing expecting different result. Time is running out on the season. Isnt it time to shakeup the lines, break up the DOT line, spread the talent around. What the boys are doing has not worked all year. How can it get any worse?

The definition of a loser is someone who keeps on dong the same thing expecting different result. Time is running out on the season. Isnt it time to shakeup the lines, break up the DOT line, spread the talent around. What the boys are doing has not worked all year. How can it get any worse?

Quote Hendoo - "Brass balls boys, brass balls"

I am already counting on the Sioux not being in the final five or the NCAA tourney.

Geez Goon. C'mon. There is alot of hockey to be played. Good thing that you are not

lacing 'em up every night.

As for the comments of others regarding the atmosphere in the Ralph, why is it that

the team always has to carry the fans? We cheer when they are doing well, but

whine to high heaven when they are not. Luap. You start any cheers last night,

or were you in the jeering section? The players play the game. The fans make the atmosphere.

To blame players for the fans' lethargy is ridiculously unfair. They oughta have their own

board to complain about what worthless and selfish louts their fan base can sometimes be.

Alaska, like every team in this league, is no slouch. Tough from top to bottom.

Like everywhere, it is a different world these days in the world of WCHA hockey.

The Sioux will be fine. It is getting late. With all the knashing of teeth that some folks

do, I sure wish that I was a dentist for the fans on this forum.

As for Lammy, he is playing great. He had every reason to rub his stick at the high criers

from UAA, who stood at center ice jawing long after the game was over. Anyone

who thinks that that was somehow a classless move, or should be grounds for discipline,

needs to get a sense of humor.

Hak absolutely stormed down the tunnel immediately after the final horn. I expect a

win tonight, and I expect a couple of game misconducts for fighting as well.

Be there. Or be square.

Geez Goon. C'mon. There is alot of hockey to be played. Good thing that you are not

As for the comments of others regarding the atmosphere in the Ralph, why is it that

the team always has to carry the fans? We cheer when they are doing well, but

whine to high heaven when they are not. Luap. You start any cheers last night,

or were you in the jeering section? The players play the game. The fans make the atmosphere.

To blame players for the fans' lethargy is ridiculously unfair. They oughta have their own

board to complain about what worthless and selfish louts their fan base can sometimes be.

Alaska, like every team in this league, is no slouch. Tough from top to bottom.

Like everywhere, it is a different world these days in the world of WCHA hockey.

The Sioux will be fine. It is getting late. With all the knashing of teeth that some folks

do, I sure wish that I was a dentist for the fans on this forum.

As for Lammy, he is playing great. He had every reason to rub his stick at the high criers

from UAA, who stood at center ice jawing long after the game was over. Anyone

who thinks that that was somehow a classless move, or should be grounds for discipline,

needs to get a sense of humor.

Hak absolutely stormed down the tunnel immediately after the final horn. I expect a

win tonight, and I expect a couple of game misconducts for fighting as well.

Be there. Or be square.

I agree...Phil played a great game. There seems to be a lack of emotion (except for goals) when it comes to the majority of the play. If Phil is the one that needs to make the awesome save and make sure UAA knows about it, and rub it in their face, then kudos to him. With the pace of play at certain times last night, the Sioux could have used an emotional kick start. There may be guys on the bench that can stir up some "go get 'em" mentality in the players, but on the ice, be it a big hit, awesome play that just misses, a great save, or even an icing when we really need a line change; those things need to be sources of inspiration for the Sioux. I think Prpich was excellent at getting guys going with his leadership.

Phil's actions at the end of the game topped off what I was thinking about the whole UAA team, and especially the goalie. If you're going to roam from the crease to play the puck, that's your problem, not the guy who is going for the puck. I am a goalie with 15 years of experience myself, so I wouldn't say goalies are fair game for body checks, but every time the UAA goalie played the puck last night, we went for the puck, not the goalie. I don't think we would stoop to the level of taking out goalies intentionally. All I could think of when the UAA goalie was talking with the ref was "would you like some cheese with that whine?" jeez...the ref can't call a penalty after the play just because you told him to lol. Let your play do the talking, not your unsportsmanlike playing up of apparent 'penalties'. Kudos to Phil, again...he gave me the best laugh I had this week.

Your right the atmosphere does suck. Also, if I was lacing them up and an opposing player was hacking away at our goalie like the UAA players were a few time. Some bodies would be flying, I would like to see our defensemen pound the forwards that are hacking away at our goalies. Phil should have not been hit that many times on that shot. If you watch the play I think you will see defensemen standing around watching not good.

From Fightingsioux.com just some quotes from Phil in their article:

Lamoureux finished with 32 saves for the Sioux, 26 of them coming over the final two periods of regulation play when the Seawolves outshot the Sioux 26-16 over those 40 minutes.

Lamoureux was clearly frustrated.

"You look at the type of goals we gave up,'' he said, "it's mistakes on our part. It's not like they're out there making great plays.''

Lamoureux had his glove on the puck on Anchorage's tying goal, but it was knocked away from him.

"When you get stuck in the stomach three times, it's hard to hold onto the puck,'' Lamoureux said. "Every time they come in there and you've got the puck frozen, they come in there and stick you. Referees in the league say they're going to protect you, but this just wasn't the case tonight.''

Obviously blaming the refs isn't going to get you very far... (although I do have a universal hate for referees... sorry to those of you that may be refs). But I just thought that it was interesting to get the goalie's perspective...

Isnt it time to shakeup the lines, break up the DOT line, spread the talent around.

Umm...the DOT line just got reunited. I don't even think they were playing together much before Toews left for the Canadian WJC camp.

They scored 2 of our 3 goals last night...I say keep them together for a few more games and see how it works.