SiouxSports.com Forum

Football Verbals

The Walrus

I guess, at this point, it'd be more of a backlash from current DI schools who had to wait 5 years but could've easily done the 2 year academic proving thing.

NDSU, for example, could've probably done that. But we had to wait our 5 years.

I guess it's about the same as paying your dues.

I don't think it will change.

I don't think anybody is saying that it will change, or that UND deserves special treatment. The skepticism has to do with the NCAA's rationale behind the lengthy period of playoff ineligibility for new members. I don't believe for one second that it's primarily academically motivated.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In theory, this year should have been the hardest to attract the recruits that we were after as this class will not have a chance to see the playoffs. At least you can sell next year's class on the possibility of making the DI FCS playoffs their senior year.

I'm definately looking forward to our future!!!

I'm impressed with Goska's credentials, and he looked good on film. Lennon mentioned the name Cullen Finnerty when describing his style of play on the WDAZ sports tonight. It should make for a very interesting quarterback battle in a few years between he and Landry.

Last I heard on Jackson....

He was hoping for a perferred walkon at Michigan State University, it was down to UND and MSU...?

Anybody's guess, I am sure we will find the funds if he decides to attend UND

Do we know when he is likely to make his decision?

Also, you are close to the program. What are your thoughts on this year's red-shirt class? I know we lost a lot of kids to SU last year but that certainly doesn't mean it was a weak group! I am curious how much talent is there and who is likely to contribute soon.

these two will still red shirt right?

Oh no. Dave Kolpack and the Forum Sport Editorial Staff set Lennon's roster. :lol:

The real question is: Are they of the calibre to make immediate impact ala Weston Dressler or Jim Kleinsasser? Those are the last two to not redshirt at UND (save for maybe a long-snapper I'm forgetting). If yes, they'll play. If no, they'll redshirt, get bigger, and play in fall 2008.

Oh no. Dave Kolpack and the Forum Sport Editorial Staff set Lennon's roster. :lol:

The real question is: Are they of the calibre to make immediate impact ala Weston Dressler or Jim Kleinsasser? Those are the last two to not redshirt at UND (save for maybe a long-snapper I'm forgetting). If yes, they'll play. If no, they'll redshirt, get bigger, and play in fall 2008.

Im not sure did Digger red shirt his first year?

Lennon really seemed excited about Bylin's potential, and I think I can see why. Obviously it's a huge jump in competition to go from North Dakota 9-man to college at the dII/I-AA level, but here's a kid who's 6'5", 270 (probably without the benefit of much in the way of weight room facilities), and he's athletic enough to be averaging 22 points and 17 rebounds per game in basketball this season. If a kid like that had grown up in Grand Forks, Fargo, Bismarck, etc., had the benefit of those facilities, plus (probably) more coaching and much better competition, I have a feeling he may have been the state's top recruit. As it is, he's probably got some catching up to do, but his potential seems outstanding.

Getting back to the red-shirt issue, here's what Lennon had to say in today's Herald:

The UND coach said he expects most of the players who signed Wednesday will be redshirted during their first season. But Lennon said there is a chance that one or two players may play immediately, depending on UND's depth at certain positions entering fall camp.

My guess--and it's strictly a guess--is that Saporu may be the most likely recruit to play as a true freshman. After Alexander, there's not much in the way of proven returnees at corner. That's not to say that there aren't some upper classmen who will step in for Hoffschneider--and hopefully players like Otto and Jordan really step forward in spring ball--but Saporu has impressive size and credentials and has played against pretty strong competition.

Getting back to the red-shirt issue, here's what Lennon had to say in today's Herald:

My guess--and it's strictly a guess--is that Saporu may be the most likely recruit to play as a true freshman. After Alexander, there's not much in the way of proven returnees at corner. That's not to say that there aren't some upper classmen who will step in for Hoffschneider--and hopefully players like Otto and Jordan really step forward in spring ball--but Saporu has impressive size and credentials and has played against pretty strong competition.

For all there sake I hope they can red shirt,one year to mature will make a world of difference.

Hanson heading to UND

Looking to fill holes in their secondary, the University of North Dakota came after Willmar senior Cory Hanson.

On Wednesday morning, the 6-1, 185-pound three-sport athlete signed a letter of intent to attend the university in Grand Forks. UND starts the five-year transition this fall from Division II to Division I playoff eligibility.

An answer to some who have questioned....

Hanson will receive a partial scholarship of $2,000 but he said that