SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach rivard's contract not being renewed

siouxperstar

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about snagging the head women's coach at Shattuck?

Ooh, that would open up the Shattuck pipeline on the women's side. Or maybe Jenny Porter has already opened up that door.

I would love to see Paul back on the Fighting Sioux bench. I think that would be great for the program.

I'm alittle torn on this issue, The team has minimul talent- They get blown out. You can talk about whose fault that is but bottom line is somthing isn't appealling to the potential recruits.

I don't think you can blame the coach for a team getting pounded 9-0, because atmost a coach can sway a game two goals either way. With that said these are her players.

We will have to see if the next coach has better success recruiting then this coach did. If it turns out the new coach doesn't then the program needs to make a change to make it a more appealling enviroment for recruits.

You should be able to get a few with the rink alone, but on that same note the rink is empty during games.

But if the team was winning maybe more fans would come.

I'm very torn. I think the move needed to be made to see if that can jump start the program but to say it was all the coachs fault for the team getting killed is probably off.

Read the highlighted portions of your own statement. How can you be torn if you believe what you said? We have the nicest arena and training facility in the nation, yet we can't get top notch women players to commit to UND. It just might have been the coaching staff.

Forest/trees ... nose/face ...

Read the highlighted portions of your own statement. How can you be torn if you believe what you said? We have the nicest arena and training facility in the nation, yet we can't get top notch women players to commit to UND. It just might have been the coaching staff.

From all of this the change has been made, nothing to be torn by. It is over time to move on. But the one thing I am interested in seeing is if the players are now going to be willing to take accountability for their actions. They no longer have the ability to blame it on the coach, and no coach that comes into this program that is going to sit back and be blamed... it will be interesting to see if the players have what it takes to take it to the next level with out having something to fallback on with blaming Rivard...

I agree with what your saying but it is obvious there isn't much support for the girls team.

My point was yea the Englestead is the nicest rink the recruits could hope for, but if there isn't anyone in it to watch the games the rink is much less apealling. Will it fill up if the team was better, probably. I was also trying to get at the fact that when you lose a game 9-rip you can't blame it on the coach.

The other thing about this is you can't relate it too the guys team. Alot of big time recruits come here because they like the tradition and have no intention of graduating. The girls don't have this option the education the school offers is very important. I just have a tough time seeing a girl turning down a full ride to Harvard to come to UND. That isn't a knock on UND it is just reality, the girls are looking for an education first.

From all of this the change has been made, nothing to be torn by. It is over time to move on. But the one thing I am interested in seeing is if the players are now going to be willing to take accountability for their actions. They no longer have the ability to blame it on the coach, and no coach that comes into this program that is going to sit back and be blamed... it will be interesting to see if the players have what it takes to take it to the next level with out having something to fallback on with blaming Rivard...

I do not know what has gone on with the players, character and accountability wise. But, after five years, every player there was recruited by Rivard and/or her staff. And any coach is just as responsible for a recruit's character as their playing ability. Coaches must recruit the whole package. So, if there are issues in these areas, it still falls back on the coach.

Can you miss on a player or two? Of course, happens all the time. Addition by subtraction, and you move on. It just seems there have been way too many of these issues on the women's hockey team.

Will it fill up if the team was better, probably.

Ralph Engelstad Arena will not, in my lifetime, be completely full to watch a women's hockey game. Sorry, nothing against the team, it just won't happen. Programs like the Tennessee women's bb team took DECADES of success to get the fans in the seats.

By the way- I would LOVE to be wrong.

Ralph Engelstad Arena will not, in my lifetime, be completely full to watch a women's hockey game. Sorry, nothing against the team, it just won't happen. Programs like the Tennessee women's bb team took DECADES of success to get the fans in the seats.

I didn't mean sell out I meant be more full than it is.

Sorry HockeyMom, I disagree with you on this one.

I remember the same discussions happening just 30 years ago about Sioux women's basketball, which drew 300 fans a game at the time. Lot of people said they would never draw as much as the men.

Within my lifetime, which I hope goes for the next 30 years, I believe the Ralph will indeed fill for UND women's hockey. It will take sustained success, and a heated rivalry. (can you spell M-i-n-n-e-s-o-t-a?)

I'll call you in 2036 to say I told you so. And to watch your avatar's daughter notch a hat trick against the Gophers.

I didn't mean sell out I meant be more full than it is.

I hear what you are saying but Women's hockey, and women's sports in general will never take off. The only reason that half of the womens college sports exist is due to the equal opportunity laws governing college sports. The only reason pro leagues like the WNBA exist is because the NBA forces NBC to carry the womens games as part of the deal to get the men's games. You can't force people to watch something they don't want to watch. Whether right or wrong, the only reason that women's sports get any recognition at all is the "yea baby" factor (Anna Kournikova, the Olympic curling team that put out the suggestive calendar, scantily clad women beach volleyball players, etc)

I hear what you are saying but Women's hockey, and women's sports in general will never take off. The only reason that half of the womens college sports exist is due to the equal opportunity laws governing college sports. The only reason pro leagues like the WNBA exist is because the NBA forces NBC to carry the womens games as part of the deal to get the men's games. You can't force people to watch something they don't want to watch. Whether right or wrong, the only reason that women's sports get any recognition at all is the "yea baby" factor (Anna Kournikova, the Olympic curling team that put out the suggestive calendar, scantily clad women beach volleyball players, etc)

In 1999 the Rose Bowl was completely full- 100,000 people- to watch the United States Women's Soccer team defeat China in the WWC Finals. It was the most people ever to watch a live women's sporting event. It was in July and there were no other sports to compete with it. The girls were the hot ticket of the summer. In 2003, they had the WWC in the fall in the United States. Granted they had only a few months to sell tickets, because of the SARS epidemic in China the US was given the right to host, but they still only averaged 10-15k fans a game. They were competing with college football, baseball playoffs and whatever else was going on that year. The USWNT and it's following was nothing more than a fad that has come and gone.

I'm not so sure that we will ever witness something like 1999 again....and believe me, I'm not anti-women I'm quite the opposite. Tell me my daughter won't succeed at something because she is a girl and I'll let you have an earfull or two. When you are deaf, I'll still be talking...........

Anyway, Poobah, I hope you are right. :glare: This is one of those things that I would love to be wrong at.

In 1999 the Rose Bowl was completely full- 100,000 people- to watch the United States Women's Soccer team defeat China in the WWC Finals. It was the most people ever to watch a live women's sporting event. It was in July and there were no other sports to compete with it. The girls were the hot ticket of the summer. In 2003, they had the WWC in the fall in the United States. Granted they had only a few months to sell tickets, because of the SARS epidemic in China the US was given the right to host, but they still only averaged 10-15k fans a game. They were competing with college football, baseball playoffs and whatever else was going on that year. The USWNT and it's following was nothing more than a fad that has come and gone.

I'm not so sure that we will ever witness something like 1999 again....and believe me, I'm not anti-women I'm quite the opposite. Tell me my daughter won't succeed at something because she is a girl and I'll let you have an earfull or two. When you are deaf, I'll still be talking...........

Anyway, Poobah, I hope you are right. :glare: This is one of those things that I would love to be wrong at.

I am not saying that girls can't succeed at sports. They can succeed at anything that a man can succeed at. What I am saying is that a vast majority of people just aren't interested in watching girls that have succeeded and excelled at sports (see my WNBA example). Regarding your soccer example, you are right that many people watched that event. I will ask you this though, what is the single most famous women's soccer event that comes to most people's minds? How about the Brandi Chastain taking her shirt off after scoring? Most people remember that but many of them couldn't tell you during what game it happened. Once again, I am not saying that this is right or wrong, but it seems to be the way things are.

I am not saying that girls can't succeed at sports. They can succeed at anything that a man can succeed at. What I am saying is that a vast majority of people just aren't interested in watching girls that have succeeded and excelled at sports (see my WNBA example). Regarding your soccer example, you are right that many people watched that event. I will ask you this though, what is the single most famous women's soccer event that comes to most people's minds? How about the Brandi Chastain taking her shirt off after scoring? Most people remember that but many of them couldn't tell you during what game it happened. Once again, I am not saying that this is right or wrong, but it seems to be the way things are.

I hear ya- and you are right. Part of the USWNT's popularity was because the players weren't the typical female athletes of the time-they looked like the 'girls next door' while many other athletes looked like the 2003 German's National team that won the World Cup. Uff da! I think they did a lot to move women's athletics to the point where wearing a pony tail and getting schwetty was cool.

PS- I met B Chaz a couple times she's a great person that will promote soccer til the world ends.

There's no doubt in my mind that Shantel is a very intelligent person. She has a Master's in Engineering for cripes sake. She will bounce back from this quicker than most people would.

Holy Cow she could be making a lot more money doing ME work than coaching hockey.

Yikes.

Its my opinion that UND needs to get a coach that is of a Shannon Miller ilk or at least something in the way of the UMN or UW coaches someone that is going to bring the program to the next level. With the REA as a recruiting tool there should be no reason why UND is a top 3 WCHA.

Its my opinion that UND needs to get a coach that is of a Shannon Miller ilk or at least something in the way of the UMN or UW coaches someone that is going to bring the program to the next level. With the REA as a recruiting tool there should be no reason why UND is a top 3 WCHA.

Or this young lady......

http://www.speakers.ca/campbell_cassie.aspx

watch the video.

I have heard Steve Johnson is interested...

He would be a great asset to UND, I really believe he could recruit, condition, manage, and coach the players into the national tournament picture..

Plus he has all the UND ties needed...

That is a VERY interesting piece of information.

I have heard Steve Johnson is interested...

He would be a great asset to UND, I really believe he could recruit, condition, manage, and coach the players into the national tournament picture..

Plus he has all the UND ties needed...

I hope this is true, that would be so cool...

Yikes. :lol: I thought he was Mercyhurt's head coach! This means Paul could very well be back with the program!

What about snagging the head women's coach at Shattuck?

That's Gordie Stafford, Drew's dad--I heard they won the last 2 year's Nationals & are serious contenders for this year. Think Drew picked up pointers over the years?