SiouxSports.com Forum

fire hakstol

proudsioux

Woog was made fun of as the perennial bridesmaid, because it happened so often. You can't make the comparison in three years of Hakstol vs 11 years of the Wooger

The Golden Chokers moniker came into play in the early 1990's after Woog brought his team to the Frozen four during his first three years of coaching but he could not win the big one. Hakstol has brought his team to the Frozen Four in his first three years of coaching also, thus the comparison.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buckysieve, you must be a genius in order to hand out the logic criticism. I am surprised you are trolling on this site and not on your yacht in St Tropez with the Victoria's Secret modeling personnel with your clear intellectual superiority. Why come over to gloat?

If any Sioux posters gloated on GPL following the Regional final, I apologize for their lack of class.

Gophers won a couple nice pieces of hardware. I again reiterate that neither one of the teams had their season end the way they wanted. I would trade every Broadmoor and McNaughton to keep knocking the Gophs out of the NCAAs.

Well then like I said, you need to have your head examined. These programs are about hanging banners and winning titles. The Gophers accomplished that this season while the Sioux did not. If you want to hang your hat on the fact that the Sioux made the semis as opposed to the Gophers just making the quarters then by all means enjoy yourself. Next year at Mariucci we can look up at the rafters and literally see the success of this years team. Can Sioux fans say the same?

hmmmm. I remember calling them the GOlden Chokers back in the 80's, i am not sure when it became integrated into the lexicon or popular culture of college hockey. I think Delta Don had a similar run back at CC where they had huge seasons and couldn't win it. I am not worried about coaching. Dave Hakstol should get a contract extension. Noone's calling for tDon's head, and he hasn't won it in what 4 years now

Well then like I said, you need to have your head examined. These programs are about hanging banners and winning titles. The Gophers accomplished that this season while the Sioux did not. If you want to hang your hat on the fact that the Sioux made the semis as opposed to the Gophers just making the quarters then by all means enjoy yourself. Next year at Mariucci we can look up at the rafters and literally see the success of this years team. Can Sioux fans say the same?

Hey buckysieve, We will see if your opinion stays the same the next time the Sioux win the McNaughton and Broadmoor but get beat in the Regionals while the Gophers go to the Frozen Four. Conference titles are nice but they don't mean much unless your team makes it to the Frozen Four. They look pretty in the arena and take up space and give teams that don't advance to the Frozen Four something to feel good about but the Big Dance is what competition is all about. While I am happy with the Sioux winning the Broadmoor last season it didn't mean much after they lost to BC in the Frozen Four.

If the Gophers didn't lose 3 out of 4 games to the Sioux this season I could see why you might think the Gophers were the better team because of the hardware you picked up this year but since the record speaks for itself you might want to rethink what you are saying? The Sioux and Gophers matchup was close this year at the end of the season but the Sioux won the game that mattered most to advance to the Frozen Four. If the situation was reversed I would be saying the same thing about the Gophers.

Both teams had good seasons but these programs are about winning titles and the Gophers won two titles this year and the Sioux won none. To me, it's pretty obvious who had the better season.

It's hilarious that posters such as buckysieve, TC_transplant, UMhockey and Rex Banner show up to troll on this board.

Apparently they've forgotten that their No. 1-ranked favorite team was swept at home by the No. 15-ranked Sioux for the first time in 27 years.

Apparently they've forgotten that their favorite team went 0-2-2 against a WCHA team that UND dominated 3-0-2.

Apparently they've forgotten that their favorite team went 1-3 against UND.

Apparently they've forgotten that their favorite team had their season ended by the Fighitng Sioux.

Apparently they've forgotten that UND was at the Frozen Four and their favorite team wasn't because the Fighting Sioux beat the Gophers when it counted most.

Just laugh at the silly trolls, keeping in mind that throughout the season, the Fighting Sioux were superior to the Golden Gophers in every way that mattered.

Jonathan Toews was 11 the last time UND finished the season with a win.

It's hilarious that posters such as buckysieve, TC_transplant, UMhockey and Rex Banner show up to troll on this board.

Apparently they've forgotten that their No. 1-ranked favorite team was swept at home by the No. 15-ranked Sioux for the first time in 27 years.

Apparently they've forgotten that their favorite team went 0-2-2 against a WCHA team that UND dominated 3-0-2.

Apparently they've forgotten that their favorite team had their season ended by the Fighitng Sioux.

Apparently they've forgotten that UND was at the Frozen Four and their favorite team wasn't because the Fighting Sioux beat the Gophers when it counted most.

Just laugh at the silly trolls, keeping in mind that throughout the season, the Fighting Sioux were superior to the Golden Gophers in every way that mattered.

PCM you have to use baby talk or the trolls won't understand. :silly:

Apparently, you are so worked up about it that you forgot that you already posted your comments - that you wiped off the tears, and typed the whole damn thing again!

PCM you have to use baby talk or the trolls won't understand. :silly:

I can continue adding to my response if they want to continue trolling. They won't like it, but if they want to keep acting like asses, I can keep matching them in that department. It's not difficult.

PCM, I see you refuse to explain how the "Sioux were superior to the Golden Gophers in every way that mattered" when titles were 2-0 in favor of the Gophers this season huh? Don't worry, I don't blame you. I mean when there's just no way possible to defend such an idiotic comment like the one you made why even try to defend it right?

Apparently, you are so worked up about it that you forgot that you already posted your comments - that you wiped off the tears, and typed the whole damn thing again!

It's hilarious that posters such as Basil, buckysieve, TC_transplant, UMhockey and RexBanner show up to troll on this board.

Apparently they've forgotten how close their favorite team came to trumping the greatest choke in college hockey history (Holy Cross) by barely beating Air Force.

PCM, I see you refuse to explain how the "Sioux were superior to the Golden Gophers in every way that mattered" when titles were 2-0 in favor of the Gophers this season huh? Don't worry, I don't blame you. I mean when there's just no way possible to defend such an idiotic comment like the one you made why even try to defend it right?

Poor buckysieve. Reading comprehension has always been his weak point. And he always resorts to personal attacks when one of his many assinine posts is unmasked for the rubbish it is. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Fighting Sioux earned the right to play for a national championship by beating Minnesota three of four times. The Gophers had no shot at a national championship because of the Fighting Sioux. So, I will again repeat:

It's hilarious that posters such as Basil, buckysieve, TC_transplant, UMhockey and RexBanner show up to troll on this board.

Apparently they've forgotten how close their favorite team came to trumping the greatest choke in college hockey history (Holy Cross) by barely beating Air Force.

Edited by PCM

I was going to stay out of the fray of this one, but here is a phone conversation I had this week with one of the parents (an avid Gopher hockey fan, from what he told me all season long while at the rink) from my son's mites hockey team:

Paul: Scott, would you like my ticket to Thursday's Wild game? In a gesture of good faith, I'm going to give it to you free and hope you've gotten over the Sioux loss to the Gophers.

Scott: Thanks for the offer, Paul, but I'm kinda busy Thursday night. Um...I'm over that loss. What do you mean?

Paul: What are you doing?

Scott: I'm going to Joe Senser's to watch the Frozen Four.

Paul: Well, are you doing ok since the Sioux lost to the Gophers?

Scott: Um, Paul, you do realize that the Sioux are playing in the semi-finals tonight and that they beat the Gophers in the regional two weeks ago, right?

Paul: Huh?

Scott: After the Final Five, the Sioux and the Gophers met in the western regional in Denver. North Dakota won 3-2 in overtime and eliminated Minnesota from the tournament.

Paul: Oh. I didn't know they were still playing. I thought the Final Five was 'it.'

Scott: (laughing hysterically at this point) Nope...there's still some hockey to be played. But not by the Gophers.

And Gopher fans wonder why we poke fun at them.

I guess we agree to disagree. The Gophers will raise a WCHA champion banner and a WCHA playoff champion banner next fall. Personally, I'd rather have the satisfaction of having made a Frozen Four and having had the shot to play for the national title. I guess we agree to disagree. I guess you'd have to ask the players though, what they would prefer. I'm certainly no expert in their thoughts.

The Gophers will raise a WCHA champion banner and a WCHA playoff champion banner next fall. Personally, I'd rather have the satisfaction of having made a Frozen Four and having had the shot to play for the national title. I guess we agree to disagree. I guess you'd have to ask the players though, what they would prefer. I'm certainly no expert in their thoughts.

Neither am I, but I strongly suspect that they and Lucia would agree with you.

PCM I love your logic. Just annoy them back :silly: I kind of wanted to punch some noses but I think your tactics are better :lol:

I wonder why we cant all just admit that both the gophers and SIOUX had great years. Gophers fans can be proud of their year because I am VERY PROUD of being a SIOUX fan and the year we had. bottom line I would NOT trade with them because frozen fours are how you measure greatness, other than national championships of course

I wonder why we cant all just admit that both the gophers and SIOUX had great years.

I admitted it in a post last night. I said the Gophers should have been at the Frozen Four because I think they deserved it and I firmly believe that they're better than either Michigan State or Maine. I suspect we're going to see that tomorrow when BC throttles MSU.

Buckysieve, last time I checked the Sioux finished the season as one of the top 4 teams in the nation? In the final national poll the Sioux were ranked #2 and the Gophers #3? I am pretty sure that leaves the Gophers with a lower ranking! Whatever the ranking and whatever the hardware, both teams had great seasons. The last two matchups were two of the best Sioux vs. Gophers games I have seen in years. Any reason we can't just leave it at that?

...and I firmly believe that they're better than either Michigan State or Maine. I suspect we're going to see that tomorrow when BC throttles MSU.

I'm going to rewind my DVR recording of the Florida/Ohio State football game from this past January. You know the one...where THE Ohio State University was supposed to "throttle" Florida and there was no way possible the Gators could win? I'm pulling for the Spartans and Rick Comley...and I hope they win.

PCM I love your logic. Just annoy them back :silly: I kind of wanted to punch some noses but I think your tactics are better :lol:

I wonder why we cant all just admit that both the gophers and SIOUX had great years. Gophers fans can be proud of their year because I am VERY PROUD of being a SIOUX fan and the year we had. bottom line I would NOT trade with them because frozen fours are how you measure greatness, other than national championships of course

Wow, where was this sentiment when Doug Woog was coaching Minnesota?

Agree with Woog being an excellent hockey coach. Winning the national title has so many components, as I rattled off on an earlier post. Coaches help get you ready to play. Players win or lose games.

Pun intended?

If BC lays an egg in the championship game, what does that say about the Sioux? It makes us look a little better if the team we lost to ends up being the team that goes on to win it all. That's why I'll be cheering for BC.

If BC lays an egg in the championship game, it says NOTHING about the Sioux. It means that they didn't play as well as Michigan State did in the championship game.

I think its interesting gopher fans calling for Hakstol's head when Sioux fans only hoped that Woog would never give up coaching the gophers!!!

So if Gopher fans use the logic that Hakstol is doing such a bad job, then Lucia must really stink, the Sioux have finished higher than the Goofers for the last three seasons.