SiouxSports.com Forum

My opinion is changing

Flatland

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I browse the UND Alumni all the time on MySpace, and have been reconnected with several people that I went to school with that I would have otherwise forgotten about.

It's not like it's hard to find peoples' MySpace sites.

You want privacy? Set your profile to private, then people have to add you to their friends list before they can snoop around your site.

Being of Mexican descent, I would never call another person of Mexican descent, a 'Spic or Greaser or Beaner, Wetback, etc.' I personally have never heard another Mexican or person of Mexican descent call another any of those names in jest either.

Go to any school in California. The American Mexican students are extremely racist towrads the Mexican kids that just move into the schools and can't speak English.

I have not read any responses on his page about the nickname. But then again, maybe he's doing it in private, but it's not publicly posted on his comments, or my comments, or any one elses i know.

Geez Louise!!! You take at face value the 'hostility and abuse' the Fighting Sioux name and logo are causing thousands of Americans without any evidence other than the 'someone told me, I heard that, I know someone who....' but when given a link to what I posted you don't believe it. That's the problem I see with the Name Change crowd! Believe unfounded facts and ignore FACTS!!

Let's try this again shall we. I have the time. I'm on the Navajo Nation reservation with no television, no cell phone and am just sitting resting my feet for a bit before starting supper.

Click on link http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=29754418

Scroll down about half a page, on the far left you will see 'G's Friends Comments', scroll down to the 4th and 5th comments dated November 9,2006, 12:32 and 12:33p. The poster is 'Offensive Chick' (Hostile and Abusive must already have been taken). She (he?) posts first

' Today's NCAA Support Rally had about 60 people there. After the rally, and during lunch, three "INDIAN" students approached W. Stenehjam (sic) and thanked him for what he was doing. G, GUESS WHO THEY WERE? CP IS ONE SET OF INITIALS! Traitors to their race -- I am appalled and sickened....'
Next post,

'OH yeah -- and then W. Stenehjam (sic) used it in court after lunch.'

Just the facts, ma'm.

Edited by Sioux-cia

Go to any school in California. The American Mexican students are extremely racist towrads the Mexican kids that just move into the schools and can't speak English.

I'm being misunderstood!! :huh:

Some African-Americans call each other the "N" word in a friendly way("Hey, N..., how's it going.) and some Native Americans call each other Skin in a friendly way (Hey Skin, wasshup?). I have never heard a Mexican American or Mexican call another one of the above listed derogratory words to Mexican Americans words when speaking to a friend. If one of my relatives had someone (Mexican or Mexican American or any other race) greet him with a "Hey, Spic, how's it hanging?", that person would be laid out cold!!!

I know that racism exists in ALL races and ethnic groups. Sorry for the confusion re my first statement.

Being of Mexican descent, I would never call another person of Mexican descent, a 'Spic or Greaser or Beaner, Wetback, etc.' I personally have never heard another Mexican or person of Mexican descent call another any of those names in jest either.

Heck I am white and I would never use those words to explain someone of Mexican descent, good way to get yourself in trouble. Just not cool.

I'm not trying to play stupid... but who are these 5 people? ...that's a real question...

Ok let's trade information and learn about others cultures.

I give you two names and you tell me two things that YOU undsportsfan have learned about the

"Vikings" who tortured "MY" people.

I'll start,

1. Doreen Yellow Bird

2. Marcia Mikulak

Heck I am white and I would never use those words to explain someone of Mexican descent, good way to get yourself in trouble. Just not cool.

Exactly! Yet, an African American can call or refer to another African American the 'N' word and it's ok. But if you or I did it we'd get nailed big time. A Native American can call or refer to another Native American as 'Skin' and its ok. But you nor I had better do it unless we're spoiling for a fight.

A Mexican American does not call or refer to another Mexican American as a 'Spic' in the same manner as African Americans use the 'N' word or Native Americans use the word 'Skin'. It just isn't 'received' in the same way.

I don't get it.

Exactly! Yet, an African American can call or refer to another African American the 'N' word and it's ok. But if you or I did it we'd get nailed big time. A Native American can call or refer to another Native American as 'Skin' and its ok. But you nor I had better do it unless we're spoiling for a fight.

A Mexican American does not call or refer to another Mexican American as a 'Spic' in the same manner as African Americans use the 'N' word or Native Americans use the word 'Skin'. It just isn't 'received' in the same way.

I don't get it.

I explained this in another thread however:

Racist is, in itself, a racist term. If a White person speaks out or acts out against any minority, it's racism. But if a minority acts out against a white person (within the legal parameters, I'm not talking violence. Regardless of color, a crime is a crime) that person is just "responding to the wrongful acts and pressures placed upon him by [said majority]."

That's why no one really takes some of Spike Lee's movies as racist despite it not being too favorable towards white people. That's why when Louis Pharakhan (sp?) says all those hateful things every now and then against white people or Jews, it's practically ignored.

How many people get all up in arms when an African American guy calls a White person a "cracker" or a "Honkey?" Please, do tell me. Because, I'd say the answer is very few. No one talks about the "plight of the white man" because it is assumed that, because whites constitute the appearance of the majority, that they are not capable of understanding the plight of any particular minority and therefore do not deserve any kind of respect or understanding. It's a great victory to whittle away at the White man's supposed superiority.

Race is a crutch. Yes, a crutch used by people who have no other excuse as to why they haven't succeeded in whatever they set out to do. Sure, there are evil or mean spirited people out there who do not like other people because of race, but it's NEVER taken as an isolated incident. It's just "another example on how the white man is out to get us." If John Whiteguy goes out and beats up a Native American (I hope this never happens, really I do) on the campus of a University, how many Native Americans are going to view the attack as a criminal attacking a victim? The answer is very few. What they are going to see is a WHITE guy attacking a NOT WHITE guy.

Racism is a racist term because no one of color has been called a racist for being anti-white.

I call all my friends crackers......they don't care, and neither do I.

I've been called several not so nice names in my lifetime. Bottom line is, I don't care what you call me you can't break my spirit. Nothing that you say about me will ever make me feel like less of a person, and it shouldn't make anyone else feel like less of a person either, unless of course you choose to feel like less of a person.

Brasco,

Get a backbone! :huh: Christ...You are already giving up and we are in the homeward stretch of winning the legal case...Get your helmet on soldier and start giving what you are getting!

BOBIWABUCHIFAN

PS Sorry if it sounds mean, but your attitude is the same shiat I get from all those weenies crying about being in Iraq longer than WWII...The best things in life are never easy to attain!

Iwabuchi, a little tolerance please. That was a low blow and not fair, not in the least.

Brasco has a decent point that IF the nickname starts to hurt UND athletics, then its time to change it. In that case, whether we win the legal case or not becomes irrelevant. Fair or not, if it hurts the teams, hurts the programs, then its time to change. That time is not yet here, but it is not too early to ask the question.

Chill. Please. Thank you.

Iwabuchi, a little tolerance please. That was a low blow and not fair, not in the least.

Brasco has a decent point that IF the nickname starts to hurt UND athletics, then its time to change it. In that case, whether we win the legal case or not becomes irrelevant. Fair or not, if it hurts the teams, hurts the programs, then its time to change. That time is not yet here, but it is not too early to ask the question.

Chill. Please. Thank you.

Thank you as well for saying that. I do have to say this, the nickname is hurtful, athletes or not... it causes hurt. Last night I had a moment to discuss with a good friend of mine why I have changed my position... and he left with a little more knowledge about why so many people are against it. I wasn't out to change his mind, I just wanted him to listen after he asked a question about the nickname debate. Most of the time when people ask a question regarding the nickname, I don't think it's to really seek an answer, but to find something else to feed their arguments.

Geez Louise!!! You take at face value the 'hostility and abuse' the Fighting Sioux name and logo are causing thousands of Americans without any evidence other than the 'someone told me, I heard that, I know someone who....' but when given a link to what I posted you don't believe it. That's the problem I see with the Name Change crowd! Believe unfounded facts and ignore FACTS!!

Let's try this again shall we. I have the time. I'm on the Navajo Nation reservation with no television, no cell phone and am just sitting resting my feet for a bit before starting supper.

Scroll down about half a page, on the far left you will see 'G's Friends Comments', scroll down to the 4th and 5th comments dated November 9,2006, 12:32 and 12:33p. The poster is 'Offensive Chick' (Hostile and Abusive must already have been taken). She (he?) posts first

Next post,

Just the facts, ma'm.

I meant to say that I have not read anything as a response from Gary to the person who made the original comment on the 3 students and Wayne Stenehjam. Maybe its been done in private, but there's not this big discussion on Mr. Lapointe's personal myspace page on the ordeal.

Just let LaPointe be. He's trying to take care of his family now.

Next post,

Just the facts, ma'm.

You people do suk....and are dumb. and a bunch of trouble makers. You should all be sued for defamation of character, just for starters. I truly can see you all burning crosses in someone's yard.