SiouxSports.com Forum

Greatest time at the new REA

luapsided

I love point 2. The numbers speak for themself. Point 3 though true the Old REA wasn't good to the Goofs, I do believe the HC game was a defining moment in their history. The Gophers over looked a AHA team and they were bounced out of the NCAA's nuf said, nothing was more pleasing than watching a bunch of cocky Goofer fans crawl out of the arena in shame. Ha.

That's not true. Watching Jordan Parise choke big time two weeks later was much more pleasing. :silly:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not true. Watching Jordan Parise choke big time two weeks later was much more pleasing. :ohmy:

I wouldn't call it much of a choke compared to mr. briggs , last year! :silly: Ya know, if Jordan makes on more save that game, we would have gone into overtime. Now THAT would have been the best comeback!

Old REA ?

Wasn't it call the Winter Sports Arena ?? or is my age showing ? :ohmy:

Originally it was called the Winter Sports Building or something similar to that. Ralph made a rather large donation, maybe in the 80's(?), and they changed the name. I think it was when they were doing some remodeling to the building. It might have been when they added the entry on the front. So your age probably is showing, just like mine. :huh::silly:

Originally it was called the Winter Sports Building or something similar to that. Ralph made a rather large donation, maybe in the 80's(?), and they changed the name. I think it was when they were doing some remodeling to the building. It might have been when they added the entry on the front. So your age probably is showing, just like mine. :D:silly:

You are correct. The addition to the building was made just prior to UND hosting the NCAA Division I championship in the late 1980's. It is an event I remember well. It was a toss-up whether the Sioux or Gophers would get in. The Gophers were picked over the Sioux, and played as if they were playing Holy Cross. They didn't show up, especially for the third place game :huh: , which they still played in those days.

Honestly, my most favorite time at the new Ralph was watching the sweep last year of the Sioux at the hands of the Gophers, watching the game from a luxury box where I was the only Gopher fan. It was a fun time...Friday nights game was watched at DiMaggios and it felt like I was the only Gopher fan there too. Either way, the Gopher/Sioux series is always my favorite! I get tickets every year. I saw 3 of the 4 games last year and I will see the only 2 this year. Growing up in EGF, I saw a lot of Gopher/Sioux games at the old Ralph too. My favorite there was the last second goal scored in the third period to force a tie in 95 or 96. I sat about 5 rows up and the goal was scored right in front of me.

Based on the rivalry, for me the biggest is Gopher/Sioux only because I grew up in the midst of it. Obviously everyone always sees the asshole fans when they are in another rink. But how about this, walking around the Ralph to see it for the first time last year with my 4 month pregnant wife, I was asked to "step outside" so a Sioux fan could "remove" my jersey. I get that all the time. I wear a Gopher hat and I am Red Pepper and I get tapped on the shoulder and asked to "step outside" I don't even talk smack, so you see, every team has idiot fans. Things like that is what causes the Gopher/Sioux rivalry to be the biggest for me, I take so much pride in watching the Gophers beat the Sioux, but regardless of the outcome, I want to see a great hockey game and in the end, I know it is just a game........

I was asked to "step outside" so a Sioux fan could "remove" my jersey. I get that all the time. I wear a Gopher hat and I am Red Pepper and I get tapped on the shoulder and asked to "step outside" I don't even talk smack, so you see, every team has idiot fans. Things like that is what causes the Gopher/Sioux rivalry to be the biggest for me, I take so much pride in watching the Gophers beat the Sioux, but regardless of the outcome, I want to see a great hockey game and in the end, I know it is just a game........

At the 2006 Final Five, a couple of Gopher fans in our hotel tried to pick a fight with my younger son because he was wearing a Goldy doll around his neck. Well Goldy did happen to have a noose around his neck but that's no reason for the Goofs to want to committ suicide. My son could have taken both of them out with one hand tied behind his back and that is NOT a mother's inflated statement.

Idiots in all fan bases. :huh:

At the 2006 Final Five, a couple of Gopher fans in our hotel tried to pick a fight with my younger son because he was wearing a Goldy doll around his neck. Well Goldy did happen to have a noose around his neck but that's no reason for the Goofs to want to committ suicide. My son could have taken both of them out with one hand tied behind his back and that is NOT a mother's inflated statement.

Idiots in all fan bases. :huh:

Agreed there are idiots in all fan bases. But the thing that I always seem to notice is that, at least on this board, Gopher fans are always the first ones to bring up injustices made by fans to them or someone they know. That's what I don't like about them. They are all about saying how they are a classy fanbase and yet are the first to rub these experiences in our faces when it suits their purposes. They only seem to admit that there are idiots in their own fanbases as an afterthought. Usually after a starting phrase such as "Not to flame anyone but..." or perhaps as a lead in "I know there are idiots in both fanbases but..."

I don't particularly care if this Gopher fan's greatest moment at the REA was watching the Sioux get swept by UMN. He's a Gopher fan. Big whoop. It's not like it was the only time the Sioux have been swept by the Gophers. I just am tired of the "holier than thou" attitude some Gopher fans seem to have and that they think that this message board is the place to air out those grievances because the Gophers should be just as respected as the Sioux on this board. The Gophers aren't loved here. I won't openly smack them (only their football coach :glare: ) but I'm not going to bow down and say "Oh Mighty Lucia! How I wish I was as good as you!" It's just not gonna happen.

The Gophers aren't loved here. I won't openly smack them (only their football coach :D ) but I'm not going to bow down and say "Oh Mighty Lucia! How I wish I was as good as you!" It's just not gonna happen.

That must be my cue. ;)

Greatest time at the new REA was the gopher loss, and Sioux domination at the '06 Regionals. Three historically great programs and a fourth that made history... how can you beat it? Seeing Lucia walk off the ice, staring at the celebrating croud, with a look of disbelief on his face was something I won't forget very soon... thankfully! :glare:

(Being without a voice for the following three days will also not be forgotten.) :huh:

The night all the workers got to bring some family and drink for free and do some skating. It was the best because they were playing Mystery, Alaska on the big screens. Needless to say the sex scene was very loud coming out all those speakers. :huh: