SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - UNO on TV

Hrkac_Circus

There will be of hundreds of extra fans home for the holiday with nothing to do but try to get out of eating any more turkey disgused in casseroles, soups, sandwiches, UGH....

Go to the game!!! I'll be there!!! Just ordered my season tickets via telephone. Damn, I'm excited. Home for a week and a 'twofer' weekend!!

Wooooo Whoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

Sorry Sioux-cia. Immediately after UND won on Saturday, I may have gotten your hopes up in the UND-USD game thread. After the game was over, and confident that we'd get the preliminary injunction, I was excited because I thought I'd get to watch a Sioux football playoff game and two Sioux-CC hockey games all in the same trip back home for Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, the NCAA dopped UND from #2 to #3 (most likely in retribution for the lawsuit/injunction) and UND plays this coming weekend, and if they win, they will now be on the road (in Omaha) the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Sorry about that. ;)

But we'll still have the hockey games. And hopefully the football game will be televised from Omaha and the Grand Forkians can all get together in sports bars and watch the game together.

I suppose this is something of an apples-to-oranges comparison, but I have a very difficult time understanding how an exhibition hockey game against Manitoba can draw 9600--even though it's televised-- while a football playoff game will probably draw 5500 or so even though it's not televised? :D Does this seem bizarre to anybody else? This team deserves better support than that for what will almost certainly be the last home game of the year!

It's all in how the two sports have traditionally been marketed. For years UND hockey has been more or less marketed as "thee event to be at in GF". Since the opening of the Ralph it's been marketed much more like a social event than an athletic game so they get more attendees who may not know a lick about whats actually happening on the ice but go to be seen or talk to friends. No problem with that sort of marketing strategy, just wish they'd have been doing it for UND football all these years. For the most part under RT and with REA controlling the marketing dollars football got the shaft big time in the marketing department. It seems like Buning's working to change that but not nearly as fast he should be.

I suppose this is something of an apples-to-oranges comparison, but I have a very difficult time understanding how an exhibition hockey game against Manitoba can draw 9600--even though it's televised-- while a football playoff game will probably draw 5500 or so even though it's not televised? :D Does this seem bizarre to anybody else? This team deserves better support than that for what will almost certainly be the last home game of the year!

My theory is that Winona State just simply does not excite the casual UND fan. Personally, it reminds me how DII is the new NAIA and makes me sad that UND is even a part of it (and glad to be moving up). Winona State in a playoff game would have been laughable ten years ago -- were they even in the NCAA ten years ago?

Another reason could be that the playoff field is just too big. I mean, UND will still have to play three more games after Winona just to make it to the national championship game. I think that makes the game seem like less of an event.

Having said that, if I lived in Grand Forks (or anywhere close), I'd definitely go to the game.

My theory is that Winona State just simply does not excite the casual UND fan. Personally, it reminds me how DII is the new NAIA and makes me sad that UND is even a part of it (and glad to be moving up). Winona State in a playoff game would have been laughable ten years ago -- were they even in the NCAA ten years ago?

Another reason could be that the playoff field is just too big. I mean, UND will still have to play three more games after Winona just to make it to the national championship game. I think that makes the game seem like less of an event.

Having said that, if I lived in Grand Forks (or anywhere close), I'd definitely go to the game.

I will definitely be at the game (300 miles round trip) because I love Sioux football. But Winona in the playoffs? I say this with every intension to disrepect WSU/Warrior 08, you cannot run with the big dogs of DII. I can't wait until Augie (yes Augie) takes you to the woodshed their 1st year in the NSIC! Don't talk smack on the Sioux board UNTIL you have proven something in Football. (Yes you have a good basketball team, so don't bring up that crap). If I were a casual fan, there is no way I would want to watch Winona play anybody in football.

The good news is that Dressler can pad his stats a little which could help him get in the final 8 for the Harlon Hill. (P.S. Warrior 08 - The Harlon Hill trophy is presented to the best DII football player as voted on by the selection committee) He may not win the award, but at least he's getting some much deserved recognition!

Sorry Sioux-cia. Immediately after UND won on Saturday, I may have gotten your hopes up in the UND-USD game thread. After the game was over, and confident that we'd get the preliminary injunction, I was excited because I thought I'd get to watch a Sioux football playoff game and two Sioux-CC hockey games all in the same trip back home for Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, the NCAA dopped UND from #2 to #3 (most likely in retribution for the lawsuit/injunction) and UND plays this coming weekend, and if they win, they will now be on the road (in Omaha) the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Sorry about that. ;)

But we'll still have the hockey games. And hopefully the football game will be televised from Omaha and the Grand Forkians can all get together in sports bars and watch the game together.

:D Sniff, sniff.... :D

Siouxmama let me know my mistake. HockeyMom has bought my tickets.

Maybe we can watch the UND-Winona game in a sports bar in Anchorage!!! :D And the UND-Omaha game will televised. See ya at the nearest GF sports bar!!! :D

I hope for no TV.

Get your butt off the couch and to the game.

You forgot us deer hunters who still have tags to fill that are going to be off the couch in the field blasting Bambi and Bambi's mother. Of course I know what you mean. I agree if you want to see the game go to the Al.

IMG_0447.jpg

That was a couple of games that were out of town like Wisconsin.

it was Denver but what I'm saying is BigGreyAnt said to show it to everyone but GF and Vegas said there were areas outside of GF that get Midco Channel 23. What I was saying was yes it is possible for Midco to show it in specific areas (like they did with the hockey last year and show it only in GF). They probably have the ability to black it out in Grand Forks. Remember when DAZ would show games and Sweeney would say "WDAZ in Devils Lake/Grand Forks and FSSN everywhere else". So it is possibole to do it both ways :D

it was Denver but what I'm saying is BigGreyAnt said to show it to everyone but GF and Vegas said there were areas outside of GF that get Midco Channel 23. What I was saying was yes it is possible for Midco to show it in specific areas (like they did with the hockey last year and show it only in GF). They probably have the ability to black it out in Grand Forks. Remember when DAZ would show games and Sweeney would say "WDAZ in Devils Lake/Grand Forks and FSSN everywhere else". So it is possibole to do it both ways :silly:

It looks as if no one was in the stadium, I think it had to be hunting season and the fact we were playing a really bad football team.. This should cause the NCAA to re-look at letting an NSIC team in the playoffs.