SiouxSports.com Forum

The penalty box

Riverman

Maybe tongue in cheek but why would Wooger say such an idiotic remark during the UMD

and UM game on Friday? (around the 4:46 mark of the first period)Did I miss something? :D

I mean other than Sandy and UMD were hosed by Don Adam around that time. :blush:

A couple of quotes,

" A little more liberal at home for opening the gate"

The next quote Wooger had was,

"ND would open the gate 30 seconds early in case something would happen"

Is Wooger that bitter over never winning a NCAA title while UND did? :huh:

its just how he is. he drops lines all the time you have to just laugh at. it has to PAIN him watching the gophs now, 2 ncaa titles and he just gets to sit up and watch it and have no part in it what so ever. hes a funny guy who couldnt win the big game. maybe hes just staying with the program for some reason in the future the lucia pet leaves and he thinks he may get a 2nd shot :blush::huh: i love watching college hockey regardless of the team, gophs, badgers ect.....but i do mute the tv when listening to these goons :D

In Jeff Panzer's year they talked about "phantom assists" paddiing his point total.

Then in one home game they did he had his smoking gun up on the screen. The fact of the matter is Panzer did this nifty little jab that got the puck to his teammate who scored the goal. (Akin to a shovel pass in football).

Even after he realized that Panzer did chip the puck, he still tried to hold his ground that that wasn't a good assist. The fact is without Jeff's play there's no goal. How is that a sloppy assist?

Woog's an idiot most of the time.

Woog is awesome. In 2002 when he did the little Olympic Run from Marriucci to REA with a feather duster promo? Comedy Gold!

Why are there so many Sioux fans who can't laugh when UND is teased?

Do you think that talking about "phantom assists" kept Panzer from receiving the Hobey?

Woog is awesome. In 2002 when he did the little Olympic Run from Marriucci to REA with a feather duster promo? Comedy Gold!

Why are there so many Sioux fans who can't laugh when UND is teased?

:blush: wooger always throws the phantom assists around pretty much every gophs/sioux series. i agree like i stated earlier, you have to laugh at this guy because he is pure comedy

:blush: wooger always throws the phantom assists around pretty much every gophs/sioux series. i agree like i stated earlier, you have to laugh at this guy because he is pure comedy

Plus, he knows the game of hockey.

If you want to ridicule some commentator, look right next to him at Frank Masucko. That guy is simply the worst.

In the 1989 national championship game vs. Harvard, one of the Minnesota players took a shot that hit the post in OT. That's how close Woog came to winning a title. In a coaching career that was as long as his was, can anybody honestly say that a matter one post being hit in OT makes all the difference between being respected and being disrespected?

I agree, it doesn't mean he is or should be disrespected. But that lack of a title appears to have created an inferiority complex where Woog takes cheap shots at UND, who won two national championships during his tenure.

Other than that, he's perfect for color as a college hockey commentator, and I enjoy most of what he says. Its just when he keeps spreading lies that it gets wearisome.

Plus, he knows the game of hockey.

If you want to ridicule some commentator, look right next to him at Frank Masucko. That guy is simply the worst.

I'll agree that some games he is informative. Other games he's not.

Masucko (interesting spelling) is the worst. My daughter knows more about hockey then he does. (For one thing I've indoctrinated her in the the facts of Gopher suckage).

uhhh, nope

he was just plain robbed :huh:

No, actually "Panzer got screwed", as I believe Blais put it.

As to Wooger, I think the guy's a trip as a "color guy". Anybody who takes his off the cuff comments too seriously really needs to buy their boxers in the next size up. :blush::D

Having personally met Doug Woog and spending about an hour chatting hockey with him, I can honestly say Doug is a pretty good guy. He went out by himself last year to Joe Senser's in Bloomington to watch the Sioux/Mankato Sunday night WCHA playoff game not to help out Donny Lucia but to observe various lines at work, key players, and pronunciations of names (yes, he mentioned that, I'm not making it up).

I was sure that after two hours of fans haranguing him about the Gophers, he'd be in no mood to spend a few minutes talking hockey, but we talked for most of the third period of the game and beyond. He was very interested in my comments about his broadcasting style and when I mentioned that he is a nice counter-measure to ultra-homer Frank, he smiled and replied "good, I like hearing comments like that," and went on to say that its hard for him NOT to root for the Gophers but he really does try to downplay that during the broadcasts.

We continued to talk about other subjects including the Sioux nickname issue (his stance, you ask? He doesn't have any feelings one way or the other, but feels that it's UND's business and not the NCAA's to choose its nickname) and the national championship race.

Had I had my camera there, I told Doug I'd let him put on my Sioux jersey for a quick photo and he laughed and said something to the effect of 'how long would THAT take to be circulated around the internet?'. Doug wished me well and said that he appreciated Sioux fans who stopped to say 'hi' and chat hockey.

Doug Woog coached the Gophers and of course, they're still in his blood. However, he has an extensive knowledge of the game and I enjoyed getting the opportunity to talk with him. For a second, I almost wished that the puck had bounced the other way in the Harvard game. If Doug's such a Sioux-hater, he certainly wouldn't have taken the time to chat with me, come out on a blizzardy night to watch the Sioux play, or make some of the comments he does about the Sioux. I'm talking about the Sioux/Gopher third place game two years ago where he mentioned something about "pride" and also the Spirko goal in that game where he was certainly complimentary of the play that had just been made.

I'm talking about the Sioux/Gopher third place game two years ago where he mentioned something about "pride" and also the Spirko goal in that game where he was certainly complimentary of the play that had just been made.

Sorry MM, but because you can point out a couple instances where he was complimentary to the Sioux doesn't change my mind on Woog one bit. Every year, he makes jabs at North Dakota in games where the Gophers aren't even playing the Sioux. Whether it is the phantom assists thing he is stuck on or this new instance, he has some sort of complex about the Sioux program.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry MM, but because you can point out a couple instances where he was complimentary to the Sioux doesn't change my mind on Woog one bit. Every year, he makes jabs at North Dakota in games where the Gophers aren't even playing the Sioux. Whether it is the phantom assists thing he is stuck on or this new instance, he has some sort of complex about the Sioux program.

He should. Everything was great until Blais came along and showed that WCHA powers should be winning NCAA titles as well. He didn't keep up with recruiting trends and ended up being moved into the administration.

I met him as well - at the John during regionals a few years ago. He saw my Kelly Green Jersey - loudly uttered SIOUX and shook my hand as he was making his way into the elevator. He is a good guy - says it like it is - or at lest the way he sees it - which is usually fairly accurate. Its that guy Mazacko that I distain for obvious reasons

I met him as well - at the John during regionals a few years ago. He saw my Kelly Green Jersey - loudly uttered SIOUX and shook my hand as he was making his way into the elevator. He is a good guy - says it like it is - or at lest the way he sees it - which is usually fairly accurate. Its that guy Mazacko that I distain for obvious reasons

I completely agree. At least when Woog is with Mazzocco I can stomach watching the games. Woog seems to have a sense of humor and definitely knows the intricacies of the game. Mazzocco...who knows where his head is at...he's terrible.

I think it was last year (maybe 2 years ago now) that Mazzocco won some type of broadcasting award. I'm not sure if the award was for FSN or just for Mazzocco (I think just Mazzocco), and I'm not sure exactly what award or who it was from. Maybe with some research I can find out, unless someone else knows. However, I have no idea who would give him an award or why they'd give him an award...he is just plain dreadful to listen to.

I completely agree. At least when Woog is with Mazzocco I can stomach watching the games. Woog seems to have a sense of humor and definitely knows the intricacies of the game. Mazzocco...who knows where his head is at...he's terrible.

I think it was last year (maybe 2 years ago now) that Mazzocco won some type of broadcasting award. I'm not sure if the award was for FSN or just for Mazzocco (I think just Mazzocco), and I'm not sure exactly what award or who it was from. Maybe with some research I can find out, unless someone else knows. However, I have no idea who would give him an award or why they'd give him an award...he is just plain dreadful to listen to.

Found it...it appears that he won an Emmy Award in 2004 from the National Television Academy - Upper Midwest Chapter. Gopher Hockey Fox Sports Net North won an Emmy in the "Sports - Live or Unedited" category, and Mazzocco won in the "Commentator" category. There are a lot of award categories, but you can view them here. There must not have been much competition if Frank won it.