SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Huskies

GBpakrzz

Sweeney' sidekick used to be an assistant head coach, but that doesn't stop him from not knowing the rules of the game.

Maybe next time Williams and whatshisname should do "Penalty Shots" next time on "Rules of the Game" :D

An elaboration on this point should be good. :blush: Do you have any idea who Jim Scanlan is? Seriously.:huh: I bet your giving him a lesson on the rules of the game would be a welcomed gesture.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened to Duncan? He sure was pissed off whatever happened.

I would be willing to be that he probably got sticked some where (guys know where) or was tired of

cheaped by Kronick and snapped. I liked the heart he showed.

For those of you who watched the game on tv, and had the benefit of replay.......should a penalty shot have been called near the end of the OT?

The WCHA not being able to show a replay of controversial calls is BS. If your refs are so terrible that 11,500 people can't see something again because they are going to make the wrong call on the replay, you need to find people that can make the right call.

For those of you who watched the game on tv, and had the benefit of replay.......should a penalty shot have been called near the end of the OT?

The WCHA not being able to show a replay of controversial calls is BS. If your refs are so terrible that 11,500 people can't see something again because they are going to make the wrong call on the replay, you need to find people that can make the right call.

Could have been called since Porter was going to be in alone, but I don't remember it being called very often in similar circumstances. No matter how many times you see it replayed, however, every Sioux fan is going to want a penalty shot, while every Huskie fan is just hoping it's not called.

The unfortunate call was the quick whistle with the puck 3 feet out in front of Goepfert, the whistle sounded just before Genoway shot the puck into the net.

The Toews non-goal, probably right, but inconclusive in the replay, although you could certainly see Toews kick the puck, you just couldn't tell if he touched the puck again with his stick or not. He did put his stick in there where the puck had to be sliding next to Goepfert's pad, and may well have made contact with it. Toews is the only one with any chance of knowing for sure, none of us looking at the replay, including Mason, has a clue.

With St Cloud having a penalty to end the game how did the same lame officials miss the fact that they put five players out for the final faceoff. The quality of DI hockey has steadily improved over the years but the quality of WCHA officiating seems to be going in the opposite direction.

I stopped at the Demers BP after the game to put some fuel on. A carload of SCSU fans pulled in behind us. Earlier in the night, the avatar had written Fighting Sioux Rule on the Magna Doodle that she had in the car with us. We come out of the gas station, and she climbs in the backseat and holds the Magna Doodle up at the SCSU people out the back window. One of them notices it, and starts laughing, and points it out to the rest of them. I look back and notice them pointing and laughing. She was sternly looking at them, and holding the sign up in her little Sioux jersey. I had a hard time driving away because I was laughing so hard.

I didn't think it should've been a penalty shot. It was definitely a penalty, but I didn't think Porter had the clear breakaway to warrant a penalty shot. Yes, it would have been nice to see us get a penalty shot, but I try to look at every situation from both sides of the coin (if the North Dakota player took out the Husky) to help and keep it fair and balanced. The Husky took out Porter, but he did so with his stick and his body. If it's a clear break, I wouldn't expect his body to be in on it unless he hooked him back to him.

With St Cloud having a penalty to end the game how did the same lame officials miss the fact that they put five players out for the final faceoff. The quality of DI hockey has steadily improved over the years but the quality of WCHA officiating seems to be going in the opposite direction.

Obviously counting wasn't part of the job requirements.

I stopped at the Demers BP after the game to put some fuel on. A carload of SCSU fans pulled in behind us. Earlier in the night, the avatar had written Fighting Sioux Rule on the Magna Doodle that she had in the car with us. We come out of the gas station, and she climbs in the backseat and holds the Magna Doodle up at the SCSU people out the back window. One of them notices it, and starts laughing, and points it out to the rest of them. I look back and notice them pointing and laughing. She was sternly looking at them, and holding the sign up in her little Sioux jersey. I had a hard time driving away because I was laughing so hard.

She's been brainwashed (not a bad thing :blush: )

The Toews non-goal, probably right, but inconclusive in the replay, although you could certainly see Toews kick the puck, you just couldn't tell if he touched the puck again with his stick or not. He did put his stick in there where the puck had to be sliding next to Goepfert's pad, and may well have made contact with it. Toews is the only one with any chance of knowing for sure, none of us looking at the replay, including Mason, has a clue.

Since the call on the ice was goal then it should have counted.

Officiating in the WCHA is NOT going to improve until Sheppard gets canned.

She's been brainwashed (not a bad thing :blush: )

Young children are so easily swayed. :huh: We had fun people to sit by last night, and she was really getting into the cheers last night- it's so much fun to watch.

Call me a bad parent, but as soon as the scuffle at the end of the game happened, I picked her up so she could see.....

Should've been a penalty shot. With time running out and a pretty good scoring opportunity, it is the only call that will allow for an equal opportunity to the one that was disrupted by the penalty. Although most people, myself included, generally believe that you have to have a step to have a penalty shot awarded, the rules are actually a bit more generous.

Tripping is listed as a penalty shot/optional minor in the NCAA rule book and is followed up by a reference to section 58 b.

58 b states: A player shall not trip or foul from behind a player in control of the puck on the opponent's side of the center red line, thus preventing a reasonable scoring opportunity.

I contend that the penalty came from behind, Porter had control of the puck, it was in SCSU's end, and it certainly prevented a reasonable scoring opportunity.

So, It doesn't have to be a clear breakaway to warrant the penalty shot.

i only got to catch the ot last night on webcast....did toews get booted from the faceoff at the very end when they were trying to get the right players out?? and why the hell did scsu have 5 players out there plus the goalie?? obviously didnt effect it but there had to be at least a minor penalty on that take down!! and porter was not in the clear so i dont believe it should have been a penalty shot but of course at the end in the heat of the moment hak and the boys had to argue for one with only a second left... good weekend. grieco is solid and very young, 17, wow. good 3 points and great PK in OT!!

and a 4-1-1 in wcha play is a great start. 9 points on top right now is very good. should make for some great practice battles with phil and grieco now that he has proven he can play in this league with a VERY good weekend vs the huskies.

Scatter musings on this thread here and there:

brianvf- I know, isn't it special how Porter has stepped up? He is, however, a member of the unreliable trifecta though (Finley and Grieco the other two) so I'm not sure any opinions will change.

PP Unit 2 WAS effective tonight. In fact, you COULD say that it was the only effective PP unit for the Sioux on Saturday... Porter scored the GTG on the Power Play and he's on PP Unit 2. To my knowledge, PP Unit 1 didn't score tonight.

Ok, so I'm hard on Scanlan. Please, when he says on air that he doesn't know what qualifies for a penalty shot, you kinda start to wonder.

yzerman- You make a pretty good point, but I still don't think Porter should have gotten a penalty shot. The fact that Mason conferred with the AR was pretty remarkable considering the fact that Porter didn't have any seperation from Fletcher on the break at all. In the NHL, I believe the rule is that the player must have at least one full step seperation when being taken down to qualify for a penalty shot. Porter didn't have more than, perhaps, a half step. Did it prevent a scoring op? Probably. Was it a clear breakaway? No, it was not.

Whistler- Yes, yes you are the only guy who doesn't like the cowbell guy. :blush: But, yeah, Whistler, Shepherd does need to be fired, hell, given his past officiating experience, I'll settle for early retirement.

PCM- HA! Thanks for the flattery regarding recaps, but it really doesn't compare to yours (If I could write recaps like you, I'd probably be bucking for a sudo-journalist's merit badge). I know it was tongue in cheek, but I like pretending that you were telling the truth. :huh:

i only got to catch the ot last night on webcast....did toews get booted from the faceoff at the very end when they were trying to get the right players out?? and why the hell did scsu have 5 players out there plus the goalie?? obviously didnt effect it but there had to be at least a minor penalty on that take down!! and porter was not in the clear so i dont believe it should have been a penalty shot but of course at the end in the heat of the moment hak and the boys had to argue for one with only a second left... good weekend. grieco is solid and very young, 17, wow. good 3 points and great PK in OT!!

Missed ya AZ. I came all hyped up, ready to win a signed Matt Jones jersey :blush:

Am I the only one who doesn't like the cowbell guy?

I think he's annoying, but the slow motion was freaking classic. His facial expressions and hair moving slow was funny.

I liked the atmosphere in the arena during the OT. It should be like that all the time. No one leaving early, people cheering, and the-anything can happen right now buzz.

Rules don't say anything about having to be in the clear to warrant a penalty shot.

Maybe they should specifically call out that a penalty shot be awarded when a penalty prevents a scoring opportunity and not enough time remains on the game clock to allow for a reasonable power play opportunity. Say less than twenty or thirty seconds.

The way it is now, if I am playing D and a player like Oshie or Toews is coming at me one on one with time running out, I'd just tackle him.

The SCSU defenseman made a nice play. There are good penalties and then there are great penalties; that was a great penalty.