SiouxSports.com Forum

Mid Con vs. Big Sky

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

Mid Con vs. Big Sky  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which conference is better for UND?

• The Mid-Con with football in the Gateway.
    • The Big Sky.
    • Other.

We've been through this before, MplsBison. UTPA is both a core and an active DI member.

By 2009, NDSU and SDSU will be active DI members, but it would still be another seven years, 2016, before they are core DI members. DI conferences need to maintain two requirements: 7 DI core members plus of the 6 DI core members must have been together for five years.

Aff is actually correct. If the MidCon loses another core member, it will practically be forced to add UTPA (assuming no other core DI member will join.)

New move-ups to DI will only get invited to the MidCon if it goes to 12 members.

This would seem correct to me based on what I have seen of the NCAA rules..................

It's hard to give a logical response to an illogical, hate based one liner.

I understand that UTPA is an active DI member (not sure if they're a core member or not).

That really doesn't mean much to me, though.

By 2009 both NDSU and SDSU will be active members.

UND (and USD for that matter) offer far more in terms of market, facilities, and reduced travel cost than UTPA.

Not to mention the sanctions against UTPA that got them kicked out of their previous conference.

Wouldn't touch them with a long pole.

LOL. "Illogical hate based one liner". You should probably relax a little there MplsBison. You would think I had just quoted Hitler.

That's just like coach Bohl talking on the radio last Saturday the fact that NDSU is trying to get the NCAA to allow NDSU into to the playoffs this year since they have such a good record. He said hopefully the NCAA would make an exception for NDSU. Talk about arrogance. When Dr. Kupchella mentioned that he hopes that the NCAA would some day drop their policy of having to take all our sports to DI and enable a school to just move up in say just football, he suggested the change would be possible for all schools..not just UND. Ndsu is hoping the NCAA would change their rules for just NDSU. Now that is arrogance.

I actually heard Coach Bohl say on the radio that the NCAA would never change their rules in mid season no matter what. I'm not sure what you were listening to.

That whole topic was started by a writer on D-1AA.com about how it was a shame that one of the top if not the best team in 1-AA won't get a shot at the playoffs. He suggested the NCAA make an exception for NDSU, not Bohl. Bohl responded to a question about that happening and said it wouldn't, that after the SDSU game their season would be over. But you can go on thinking what you want. Wouldn't want the truth to get in the way of your hatred for NDSU and Coach Bohl.

REALLY FUNNY how ndsu was ready to drop their pants RIGHT NOW for a chance to get into the BigSky and now they act like THEY ACTUALY DID (and it didn't "work" out :D:D ) and they've had a "bad-girlfiend" thing for them ever since....what's the deal with that?? :blush:

You'll be doing more than dropping your pants to get into a conference. :huh:

By 2009, NDSU and SDSU will be active DI members, but it would still be another seven years, 2016, before they are core DI members.

I think you're a bit off here.

2003 was the exploritory. 2004-2007 are the transition years.

2008 we're eligibile for the tournament.

I believe once you're active you're eligibile.

Then it's another 8 (for 5 + 8 = 13 years total) until you're core, which as you said would be 2016.

DI conferences need to maintain two requirements: 7 DI core members plus of the 6 DI core members must have been together for five years.
Who are the Mid Con core members when Valpo leaves?

Actually, they'll be down to 7 members, so that would mean they'd all have to be core members. But are SUU and ORU core members?

Centenary will have been with the Mid Con for 5 years in 2007, and they were the last team added before this year I believe.

If the MidCon loses another core member, it will practically be forced to add UTPA (assuming no other core DI member will join.)

What do the rules say if a team only has 6 core members?

I imagine some sort of grace period, then penalties, and then loss of autobid.

How long do they have?

How long until IPFW is a core member?

Because if the Mid Con could hold out until IPFW is a core member, they'd be ok with losing 1 more member, which would likely be SUU to the Big Sky.

New move-ups to DI will only get invited to the MidCon if it goes to 12 members.

Or if the Mid Con loses SUU to the Big Sky and wants to think long term for the future knowing that IPFW will resecure the auto bid when they become core.

Which isn't unlikely.

Who are the Mid Con core members when Valpo leaves?

Actually, they'll be down to 7 members, so that would mean they'd all have to be core members. But are SUU and ORU core members?

IPFW is a already core DI member (was grandfathered in before the new DI transition rules apply).

How long until IPFW is a core member? See above.

Because if the Mid Con could hold out until IPFW is a core member, they'd be ok with losing 1 more member, which would likely be SUU to the Big Sky. See above

UTPA, being a core member, is practically a lock to receive a MidCon invite if any core members leave. NDSU and SDSU can't leave, without the $500,000 penalty.

IPFW is a already core DI member (was grandfathered in before the new DI transition rules apply).

Then what the heck are you talking about?

The Mid Con is in no danger of losing autobid status if 1 member leaves. They'll still have 7 cores and 6 that have played together for 5 years.

SUU is that likely member. No other member has anywhere else to go.

NDSU and SDSU will be core in 2016 and obviously will have played with the other cores for 5 years by then.

UND and USD will be core in 2020.

Then what the heck are you talking about?

The Mid Con is in no danger of losing autobid status if 1 member leaves. They'll still have 7 cores and 6 that have played together for 5 years.

SUU is that likely member. No other member has anywhere else to go.

NDSU and SDSU will be core in 2016 and obviously will have played with the other cores for 5 years by then.

UND and USD will be core in 2020.

Why do I even respond? :lol:

Its suicidal for a conference to have the bare minimum to meet autobid status: good they don't have you as commissioner. Things can happen: Chicago St leaving, Valpo leaving, the Horizon poaching more members from the MidCon because the Atlantic 10 steals from them. (Practically every Horizon member except Detroit and Loyola were once MidCon members.)

If it comes to that, the Mid Con can add UTPA at any time.

For now, they should focus on adding schools that will make them better. The Dakota 4 obviously do that.

It doesn't work like that, you can't just add UTPA and automatically be back to being a counter, they have to be in the league for 5 years to become a core member. If any current counter leaves the conference UTPA will be added. Adding additional schools to go to 12 in the conference eats away at the basketball tournament money for other schools, which is the reason most mid-majors stay at 10 schools. Enough to guarantee the viability of the conference, few enough that you get a decent basketball check every year.

And how do the 4 Dakota schools "obviously" make the conference better? Two of them have yet to play a game in D-I, but they are already better than many mid-con schools? I don't think you can make that statement.

I doubt I'm going to respond to anymore of your comments, as its become obvious that you will make any ridiculous statement you can think of to see UND and USD in the same conference as the SU's, even when people are showing you the reasons why that may not happen.

Posting on message boards doesn't make anything true, or change reality.

It doesn't work like that, you can't just add UTPA and automatically be back to being a counter, they have to be in the league for 5 years to become a core member.

A core member is merely any team that has been in DI for 13 years. They can be independant those years if they want.

A core member is merely any team that has been in DI for 13 years. They can be independant those years if they want.

MplsBison is actually correct.

There are two different criteria: meeting the minimum core members requirement (7 schools) and meeting the continuity of membership with a lesser number of core members (six schools). Both criteria must be satisfied. These rules make reconfiguration of conferences nearly impossible. The only feasible way a new conference can now be created is with a conference split of a 12 school conference or greater, with additional core members added to each half.

The fact that UTPA and Savannah State are the only remaining DI independents that are also DI core members shows just how poorly those schools are viewed by the DI community.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Interesting link. Another college sports channel

Sounds like the Big Sky has signed on. Big Sky News

Yet another reason why the Big Sky is such an attractive potential conference home for North Dakota athletics (crossing fingers). For a mid-major/FCS conference, they have excellent television coverage. They also have a deal with Altitude, and then there is Big Sky TV, and nearly all Montana/Montana St. football games are on TV. The Big Sky is definately a conference that is aware of the importance of TV markets. I wonder if they are aware of a certain sports channel that reaches three states in which they currently have no presence in, in the FSSN? :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

As you are appealing for games with the Big Sky schools, be aware that they are demonstrating little support in EVER returning a game to the Alerus. 13 pages about the consistent lack of actually playing a FCS team away from their homes. IF you are negotiating a home/home, make the buy-out clause by the Big Sky school expensive!!!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18676

Great West for football will give you some games, and tough ones. It's better than being a total independent.

Good luck with transition. It's a pain in the **s.