SiouxSports.com Forum

Goaltending

GBpakrzz

All things considered, 1st career starts, on the road, I would grade Grieco a "B" for the w/e.

Other than one soft goal on Friday I thought he did a decent job although I would have liked to see him stop at least one of the breakaways.

My concern is more with taking stupid penalties and the penalty kill. Seems like we always take one or two really dumb slashing penalties in every game. Mankato was 5/15 on the powerplay with one shorthanded goal. That's 6 of the 9 goals on special teams, hard to fault a goalie just making his first starts when that happens. Obviously this can't continue or we won't even finish in the top half of the WCHA. I have faith that Hakstol and company will get this fixed, hopefully soon.

It also seems to me that the team is not playing quite as physical as in the past. I just don't see them finishing checks. I think we are missing Smaby and his open ice hits quite a bit and are looking for someone to fill that void.

As far as Walski goes, barring injury to Grieco or a prolonged injury situation with Lammy, I would highly doubt we will see him play. Can't realistically rotate three goalies, so it's best to give Grieco as much playing time as possible assuming Lammy is out 2-3 weeks (have no idea). He's probably being thrown into the fire a bit quicker than the coaches would like but I suspect it will all work out fine.

Lamoureux probably wont play this weekend. Its great for Grieco to get his feet wet. He is still only 17. I think he will be a stud once he starts feeling more comfortable. I am more worried about the penalty kill. They have given up a lot of goals this year. Once they straighten that out (and they will) they will be a tough team to score on.

If Lammy is questionable this weekend, then it would make all kinds of sense to keep him out, since the Sioux are off the following weekend. Let him heal up and be ready for the run from Thanksgiving to Christmas.

It also seems to me that the team is not playing quite as physical as in the past. I just don't see them finishing checks. I think we are missing Smaby and his open ice hits quite a bit and are looking for someone to fill that void.

It was very apparent this weekend, to me anyway, that this team has a very different complexion from what we saw last year, and especially 2 years ago. We were mentioning how good Smaby would have looked hitting some Mav players. Might have made them a little less comfortable coming into the zone.

What I'd love to see is the stats (GAA, Save% W-L Record) of Jordan Parise's, Karl Goehring's, Aaron (sp?) Schweitzer's, and the remainder of our NC winning (or winningest) goaltenders and compare them to Grieco's first two games that counted.

I mean, he is 17, this was his first two starts that counted in an arena that hasn't really been friendly to UND in the past. I wonder if some of us aren't being a little too harsh on Grieco.

What I'd love to see is the stats (GAA, Save% W-L Record) of Jordan Parise's, Karl Goehring's, Aaron (sp?) Schweitzer's, and the remainder of our NC winning (or winningest) goaltenders and compare them to Grieco's first two games that counted.

I mean, he is 17, this was his first two starts that counted in an arena that hasn't really been friendly to UND in the past. I wonder if some of us aren't being a little too harsh on Grieco.

i'm not, i am all about the W's ;) and grieco is 2 for 2 on those so far

I think I saw KG's first game (if not the first, one of the first few). It was played at Air Force Academy against a very good CC team. CC played at AFA while their new arena was being built. I think the Sioux lost but KG was unreal. I remember all the CC fans around us in awe at this little kid basically standing on his head making some incredible saves. I wish I could find the old boxscore.

I didn't see either Mankato game but it sounds like one problem of Grieco was giving up rebounds. He has to solve that problem fast or he'll get eaten up in this league. However, the kid did play big in the 3rd periods in both nights when it mattered and he has two W's. As someone said, that's the only stat that matters.

I think I saw KG's first game (if not the first, one of the first few). It was played at Air Force Academy against a very good CC team. CC played at AFA while their new arena was being built. I think the Sioux lost but KG was unreal. I remember all the CC fans around us in awe at this little kid basically standing on his head making some incredible saves. I wish I could find the old boxscore.

I didn't see either Mankato game but it sounds like one problem of Grieco was giving up rebounds. He has to solve that problem fast or he'll get eaten up in this league. However, the kid did play big in the 3rd periods in both nights when it mattered and he has two W's. As someone said, that's the only stat that matters.

I was at the game too and Karl was incredible on all the first shots. However, as a team there was no second period meltdown in front of him and the Sioux D did there job at clearing rebounds.

It was very apparent this weekend, to me anyway, that this team has a very different complexion from what we saw last year, and especially 2 years ago. We were mentioning how good Smaby would have looked hitting some Mav players. Might have made them a little less comfortable coming into the zone.

Amen, well said! I mentioned in the past about hitting with throw the opponent off an make them leary of freely skating around open ice. Hitting is such a huge aspect to the game and without it you might as well play broomball! You take one huge hit, you'll be haunted with that feeling the rest of the game! I hope they come of physical as hell the weekend! Hits = advantage = score = WIN!

I wonder if Ziggy regrets leaving? Sounds as if he is the third goalie again. Are people going to say he didn't get a fair shake in Duluth too? I wonder if Ziggy is even dressing or sitting in the stands, I suppose he and the other back up get to help open doors on the bench.

This is a side note from UND's goaltending situation, but does anyone find it odd that Ziggy seems to be getting the cold shoulder in Duluth this year? After all, he seemed to carry his team at the end of last season. He won 2 games at Denver in the play-offs that got them to the Final Five. How that translates into not even getting an opportunity thus far to play this season is beyond me. I understand that their new goalie is supposed to be a stud, but this situation just appears odd to me. Maybe it's just me too.