SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks write up

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

Sounds like you guys are blessed to live in a GREAT area! Do any of you know of a website that shows current pictures of Grand Forks and the surrounding area? Thanks.

Award-winning UND photographer Chuck Kimmerle has many excellent photos of the campus here.

When I took my, at the time,new wife to Grand Forks she was very impressed with the campus area. But the surrounding farmlands were too flat. (This part of Ohio is pretty hilly.)

But I always thought that the plains held a certain grandeur. One of my more indelible memories is driving rt 2 from GF to Williston. And student teaching at a little 1 room school house north of williston. Beautiful country in my opinion.

Oh and is anybody familiar with Eppley ND? I remember visiting some UND students who were teaching in that little town. As I recall, it was like the old west. Dirt streets and wooden sidewalks. Always wondered if it's still like that.

Oh and is anybody familiar with Eppley ND? I remember visiting some UND students who were teaching in that little town. As I recall, it was like the old west. Dirt streets and wooden sidewalks. Always wondered if it's still like that.

Haven't heard of it.... what is it by? In SW North Dakota?

My dad talked about when I was a kid, the Epping Eagles either went to the state Class B boys basketball title game or won the whole thing (forgive my fuzzy memory of his story). North Dakota's version of "Hoosiers," apparently. Can anyone find a note of this somewhere?

I take the Amtrak back fairly often to visit my parents in Fairfield. A great way to see small towns dotting the North Dakota prairie...

{C22D55F8-51B2-40A6-96F7-7993694D332D}.JPG

My dad talked about when he was a kid, the Epping Eagles either went to the state Class B boys basketball title game or won the whole thing (forgive my fuzzy memory of his story). North Dakota's version of "Hoosiers," apparently. Can anyone find a note of this somewhere?

I take the Amtrak back fairly often to visit my parents in Fairfield. A great way to see small towns dotting the North Dakota prairie...

{C22D55F8-51B2-40A6-96F7-7993694D332D}.JPG

Here's a link talking about that Epping team, and the famous game against Hillsboro. link. It was featured on a prairie public tv special from a few years ago about the history of the class B tournament in North Dakota. It was a really good show, and is still shown once in awhile.

Here's a link talking about that Epping team, and the famous game against Hillsboro. link. It was featured on a prairie public tv special from a few years ago about the history of the class B tournament in North Dakota. It was a really good show, and is still shown once in awhile.

I fixed my post, UND92,96. I meant to imply that when I was a kid, my dad told me the story. My first implication was that the game was in the 50's...I knew it was sometime after I was born, which was 1970. I was guessing 1973 or 1974. Thanks for the link...great article.

It's unfortunate hearing about those great small town basketball teams (and schools, for that matter), that have fallen by the wayside. In about 1985 or 1986 I caught the Alexander Comets/Watford City Wolves basketball game on radio. Alexander's gym was rockin', but the team blew a late 4th quarter lead and lost in OT. The last time I drove by Alexander High's gym...it wasn't a gym anymore. The school has long since closed and now it's a museum. Kids bus to Watford City for school now.

Reeder High School...great story...administrators announced the school closing at the end of the school year (1989 I think) and the boys basketball team proceeds to go on a run that takes them to the state high school tournament for the first time ever. They wound up finishing 0-3 at the tournament but I'm sure it was a thrill just winning the regional and advancing to the big show.

Golva...I went to basketball camp with players from Golva. Their 3rd & 4th, 5th& 6th, and 7th & 8th grade teams often had only 6 or 7 players. The Golva Tigers merged with Beach and eventually, Golva was closed and the school and gym torn down.

I stopped in Glen Ullin this summer just for the fun of it (I used to date someone from there when I was in high school) and found out that the mighty Rattlers aren't even the Rattlers anymore. Hebron isn't the Brickmakers either. They're the Glen Ullin-Hebron Bearcats.

My favorite was the Woodworth-Pettibone-Robinson Wolfpack. Robinson High School graduated five students in 1988...and two of those were foreign exchange students!

It's a shame that more of these schools and towns keep getting smaller and smaller but nothing ever stays the same.

Thanks for the nice map. I student taught at a little school in the Williston City district named Twin Lakes. It was IIRC a little north of the junction of rts. 2 and 85. Then east of rt 85. I called the school system maybe 7 years ago or so and was told that the school building was still owned by the schools but was only being used for storage.

I lived at the school half the time I was there and the other half with a family named the Molines who had a farm just about right at the intersection of rt 2 and 85. This was back in fall, '71.

Here's another goodie...this is in the Theodore Roosevelt National Park (north unit) about 5-10 miles south of Watford City...

Highway 85 north of Grassy Butte and south of Watford City

Highway 85 was re-done sometime in the late '70's or early to mid 80's...instead of the road maintaining a relatively manageable incline and going to the left once you crossed the bridge heading north, it uses to snake around the mountainside before heading over the hill. I took many a trip that route in the winter...talk about white-knuckling...