SiouxSports.com Forum

Student ID Checking

KEH

Since when did REA and UND decide to start checking ID's before hockey games? That is if you were a none season ticket holder....The past two years I have NEVER been asked for my ID.... Why is it we have to present our IDs when we had to present them to buy the tickets...If REA is going to check student IDs they need to start checking everyone's ID... Because after all a ticket is NON-TRANSFERABLE

Since when did REA and UND decide to start checking ID's before hockey games? That is if you were a none season ticket holder....The past two years I have NEVER been asked for my ID.... Why is it we have to present our IDs when we had to present them to buy the tickets...If REA is going to check student IDs they need to start checking everyone's ID... Because after all a ticket is NON-TRANSFERABLE

just bring your id if you are a student, they do it at many ncaa sporting events

They have been checking them as long as I have been going to UND which is three years now. Some games they don't especially if they are trying to get a lot of people through. Why they do it, I don't know. Just one of those things I guess.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if you've never been carded you're either a VERY casual fan, VERY new to the arena, or VERY lucky.

I've been at UND for 5 years and have gotten my ID checked 95% of the time I sat in the student section. If you want to not get that checked you can try the main entrance. Sometimes they don't card there, but others they'll just send you to the student door.

Here's a few reasons:

1. It's the policy at REA.

2. In case your ticket(s) is stolen or lost, no one else should be able to use your ticket without proper ID.

3. So a student can't sell their ticket for more than face value to the general public, since the general public won't have a student ID.

There's a few off the top of my head. To pay $75 for season's mens hockey tickets is a steal. Deal with them checking(swiping) your ID everytime you go to a game and it will become routine in no time. It's only 5 seconds out of your life.

Deal with them checking(swiping) your ID everytime you go to a game and it will become routine in no time. It's only 5 seconds out of your life.

You would think so, but they still have people who don't know how to check/swipe ID's. It's rather pathetic that REA hires these people who can't even figure out how to operate a simple electronic device. :silly:

Evidentaly it took 10 seconds instead of 5 for some, eh?

Yep. My life nearly ended several times due to it.

I don't think any student should be complaining about having to bring an ID, but it certainly is annoying when REA doesn't even show people how to operate the ticket and ID scanners. You would think since it's part of their job description that they would know how to do it. :silly:

Yep. My life nearly ended several times due to it.

I don't think any student should be complaining about having to bring an ID, but it certainly is annoying when REA doesn't even show people how to operate the ticket and ID scanners. You would think since it's part of their job description that they would know how to do it. :silly:

I'm sure that it will improve.

Just as it's in your job description to find some piddly little thing to complain about. ;)

I'm not really complaining, I'm more dumbfounded by it. It's not that difficult, why can't these people do it? Then again I don't have to deal with it anymore, so who cares? Start shooting the students with stun guns for all I care. :D

And I don't think it will improve. It's just as bad as it was when the arena opened, so there really isn't much reason to believe it will improve.

When you don't have the same people working at the same place every game, I would think that it makes it pretty difficult to make sure everyone is trained properly. Granted, it's still not that great of an excuse, but how well would someone know how to do a job when they do it once a month or even less than that?

When you don't have the same people working at the same place every game, I would think that it makes it pretty difficult to make sure everyone is trained properly. Granted, it's still not that great of an excuse, but how well would someone know how to do a job when they do it once a month or even less than that?

All they have to do is slide a card and press enter/ok. It's not rocket surgery. :silly:

What confuses me more than WHY they check/swipe IDs at the hockey games is why mine only works half the time. See, I'm currently not a student, but I still have my ID... I've tried getting my own tickets twice, and it only worked once. And the one time they swiped my ID this weekend at the hockey games, it worked. So I don't really get that.

As for why they look at student IDs at hockey games, I'm not totally sure.... I just hope mine keeps working like it did last night...

Oh well.... GO SIOUX!!!

Saturday I handed the lady my season ticket and she asked where my student id was. I replied I did not have a student ticket. She replied that I needed a student id to get in again. So I told her I am not a student, don't have a student ticket, and don't have a student id. She looked at me weird, scanned my ticket and let me in. Are these people drinking before the games or something?

Saturday I handed the lady my season ticket and she asked where my student id was. I replied I did not have a student ticket. She replied that I needed a student id to get in again. So I told her I am not a student, don't have a student ticket, and don't have a student id. She looked at me weird, scanned my ticket and let me in. Are these people drinking before the games or something?

Stop speaking the truth lest Grampa PCM will call you a complainer. :silly:

I had the same thing happen to me last year. My wife, my son (2 at the time) and I use the "student entrance". The guy scanning tickets told me that we had to have a student ID to go through those gates. I have used those doors for 4 years.

Stop speaking the truth lest Grampa PCM will call you a complainer. :silly:

Diggler, I can certainly understand why you and others are so unhappy. I have my own list of grievances.

BEGIN sarcasm.gif

This season, I've had my laptop computer case searched for all three games by the same cop. I probably had it searched three times all of last season. How many times does that same guy have to search me before he figures out that I'm not a UND student? This invasion of my privacy slows me down a good 15 or 20 seconds. The REA security crew obviously has it in for me.

The elevator in which the media jackals must ride is also shared by the caterers and morons who can't read the "MEDIA ONLY" signs, which always makes the elevator very slow. Doesn't the REA staff know how important we are? This is a terrible design flaw in the Ralph. We should have our own separate, non-stop, turbo-charged express elevator in recognition of our importance to college hockey. Without us, nobody would know the sport exists.

The free pop and bottled water in the cooler wasn't very cold Friday night. I'm sure that's because Ralph never liked the media. It's either that or Jake Brandt is still punishing us for covering the Roseau pull tab scandal.

The chairs we sit on in the press box are cheap and uncomfortable. Ralph was so rich that there's no reason we shouldn't each have our own heated leather executive office chair. But Ralph, being a Nazi sympathizer and all, hated us media types. So that explains why we must suffer with substandard seating while everyone else gets padded leather chairs.

The TVs in the press box shut off by themselves at the worst possible times. I was told that they have automatic two-hour timers in them that can't be changed, but I'm sure that it's really Ralph's ghost exacting revenge on us media jackals. Or it could be that the people who work at the Ralph are idiots because they can't figure out how to operate a simple TV. Perhaps if I went out of my way to publicly ridicule them more often, they'd see the wisdom of solving a problem that perturbs me so.

For the past few seasons, the media credentials have been a horrid purplish-pink pastel color. I'm sure this is the REA's subtle way of telling the public that all of us media jackals are commie pinkos at heart. (We are, of course, but why can't we have nice crimson press passes instead that match our red parking passes? Hello? Color coordination anyone?)

The press box itself is too small and there are too few bathrooms. Once again, I'm certain this is all part of the REA's plan to persecute the media on Ralph's behalf. Everyone knows that there's a secret provision in Ralph's will that if the media is not made to suffer, the arena will be imploded using charges built into the support structures during construction.

Some of you might think I'm paranoid or that I'm making stuff up. But just look at what happened to Scott Hennen when he moved to Fargo and started saying nice things about NDSU on the radio. He was ousted from the PA announcer job, replaced by a Thief River Falls native and is now a shadow of his former self. That shows how dangerous it is to buck the status quo at the REA.

I could go on and on listing examples of how members of the media are singled out and treated like second-class citizens at the hands of REA staff, but I think I've said too much already.

END sarcasm.gif

Edited by PCM