SiouxSports.com Forum

Help Malone Out

jk

So this what we are looking at UND from 1996 to present, or the past seasons we have 30 more wins than the Goofs? Well, that is very interesting. On top of that Michigan feasts on a weaker league so I am not all that concerned about that small margin of 7 less wins.

Yes, records for the last ten years (Statistics from Hockeydb.com) so that would be the seasons from 96/97 through last season. If you look at the records it is pretty easy to see where the difference of 30 wins is. Woog's last two seasons were 17-22-0 and 15-19-9 and Lucia's first season was 20-19 whereas North Dakota had 1 sub-par season, 2000/2001, when they were 16-19-2

Also of note is expanding the records to 15 years and 20 years. Then the totals look a bit different if my math is correct:

15 years

Minnesota - 383 wins

North Dakota - 356 wins

20 years

Minnesota - 543wins

North Dakota - 491 wins

The thing that I look at as significant is the major change that took place, from a coaching standpoint, in both programs. Gasparini's last years were a tough time in Sioux history as was Woog's last years for the Gophers.

Friday, September 29, 2006

Nash, Top Uncommitted Recruit Narrows Choices

Riley Nash, a 6'1", 175 lb. rookie for the Salmon Arm Silverbacks of the BCHL, has narrowed his college choices. Nash is considered to be the top recruit left in North America that has yet to committ to an NCAA school.

Nash's older brother, Brendon Nash, currently plays center for Cornell. Cornell also happens to be one of Nash's schools that he has chosen to visit.

The Univeristy of New Hampshire is also one of the five schools, including Michigan, Denver, North Dakota and the aforementioned Cornell. It's good to see that teams other than BC and BU are garnering attention from top level recruits. Hockey East needs a lot more commitments from that upper echelon to compete with the CCHA and WCHA in particular.

Nash is currently third on his team in scoring with a 6-6-12 line. He will either arrive next fall or in '08 to one of those schools.

Riley Nash, a 6'1", 175 lb. rookie for the Salmon Arm Silverbacks of the BCHL, has narrowed his college choices. Nash is considered to be the top recruit left in North America that has yet to committ to an NCAA school.

Nash's older brother, Brendon Nash, currently plays center for Cornell. Cornell also happens to be one of Nash's schools that he has chosen to visit.

The Univeristy of New Hampshire is also one of the five schools, including Michigan, Denver, North Dakota and the aforementioned Cornell. It's good to see that teams other than BC and BU are garnering attention from top level recruits. Hockey East needs a lot more commitments from that upper echelon to compete with the CCHA and WCHA in particular.

Nash is currently third on his team in scoring with a 6-6-12 line. He will either arrive next fall or in '08 to one of those schools.

Thanks for the info. For some reason I don't see him going to Cornell or to UNH. And I hope we don't lose him to DU.

Hopefully he follows our Salmon Arm connection and commits to UND.

I will add one: Grand Forks is NOT the hell hole that some fans of other programs make it out to be.

A guy at the DU game last night (yes, I bought DU season tickets so I can watch WCHA hockey) asked me how I liked going to UND and asked if it was a hockey school (duh). His son wants to go to a hockey school someday. I swear I should get some commission from UND if I'm going to be recruiting 10 year olds at hockey games. :silly::sad: On a side note, I was surprised at how many Sioux fans I ran into at the game last night....of course I was the only one brave enough to wear my Sioux colors. One guy even had his 3 kids wearing DU jerseys. I was horrified.

Actually, Brendon plays defense.

UNH, Michigan, and Denver already have some nice center prospects lined up for next year (and beyond). If that has any influence it looks like Cornell & North Dakota might be in a better position. Of course, if he wants to play with his brother and get an Ivy education the deal is done.

I'm just providing a public service for that portion of the public that happens to be a blue-chip recruit trying to choose between UND and other schools.

When you've narrowed it down to the last few schools, obviously there are just good choices left, and it comes down to priorities and preferences.

If your priority is to become a professional hockey player, you should choose the school that best prepares players for the next level. How better to prepare to be a professional than to be treated like one in college? UND is consistently noted for being run the most like a professional organization, with players held accountable for their preparation and performance. You earn it, you get it. Just like in the real world. At UND, it's been known as "skate or sit."

If you're a forward and you like to attack and score, look at the parade of elite forwards that have skated into Grand Forks, filled the scoresheet, and advenced to the pros. In just the last few years:

- Brandon Bochenski was a Hobey finalist and is skating with the Chicago Blackhawks.

- Zach Parise was a Hobey finalist, WJC gold medalist, and is with the NJ Devils.

- Brady Murray was the WCHA ROY, WJC gold medalist, and earned a professional job in Switzerland.

- Drew Stafford was a WJC gold medalist, and is with the Buffalo Sabres.

- Travis Zajac was on the Frozen Four All-Tournament Team and is with the NJ Devils.

- T.J. Oshie was a freshman scoring sensation who will be with the St. Louis Blues soon (too soon for Sioux fans, but right on track for his career).

- Jon Toews was also a freshman revelation and WJC gold medalist who will be with the Chicago Blackhawks next year.

The fun part is that these guys all thrived as freshmen. Because they earned it, they were able to play with the team's best players. Here are UND's leading freshman scorers in each of the last five years:

Bochenski 32

Parise 61

Murray 46

Zajac 39

Oshie 45

How'd the top-scoring freshmen do at another top school (say, Wisconsin, for instance)?

Leavitt 24

MacMurchy 24

Earl 27

Pavelski 45

Skille 21

I know where I'd go if I wanted to play up-tempo hockey and score goals, even as a freshman.

If your priority is winning (well, first of all, UND wants you), then you'd be hard pressed to find a better place to consistently be among the nation's top teams. The most consistent winners over the last ten years have been UND, Michigan, BC and Minnesota. Other teams like Denver, Wisconsin, St. Cloud and Duluth have risen up for a few years to achieve success, then some have faded back to the pack. How much staying power Denver and Wisconsin will have at the top remains to be seen.

To be honest and fair to the players, most of them came to UND with vast potential, and most of the credit for becoming great players goes to them. They did the work. To achieve their goals, they also chose to develop at a place with the training facilities that would help them become the best players they could be. The REA's lovely features in the stands and concourse attract the attention of the press and fans, but it's the access to the inside of the rink that makes all the difference to the players.

I'll stop there, with professional aspirations, scoring, winning and development. Anyone else who wants to further aid the public is welcome to help.

Nice work JK http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/i...;section=Sports

Does this move him up on the draft list?