SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting Rankings

Sioux-per Villain

It's hard to believe that with our tradition and our facilities that we rank a mere fifith in the recruiting rankings in our own conference. Granted, 6th nationally is still pretty good. Hopefully we can secure some of the blue chip talent still available so we can move up on the rankings next year. With the high probability of losing another 4-5 underclassmen next summer, looks like we'll need to make the most of this season as the WCHA will continue to be extremely competitive for the next few years.

TOP 15 FRESHMAN CLASSES

1. Minnesota

2. Boston University

3. Wisconsin

4. Denver

5. Colorado College

6. North Dakota

7. St. Cloud State

8. Cornell

9. UMass Lowell

10. Michigan State

Recruiting Rankings

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted, not being #1 in recruiting may be somewhat of a let down, but if you concede that Minnesota has the best recruiting class in the country, I think all the other teams could be placed in any particular order. Plus we have a lot of "unknown" recruits I would say, players that people wouldn't have read/heard a lot about. That could be a blessing in disguise. I love when people place us lower so we can prove them wrong. And it's INCH...Need I say more.

It's hard to believe that with our tradition and our facilities that we rank a mere fifith in the recruiting rankings in our own conference. Granted, 6th nationally is still pretty good. Hopefully we can secure some of the blue chip talent still available so we can move up on the rankings next year. With the high probability of losing another 4-5 underclassmen next summer, looks like we'll need to make the most of this season as the WCHA will continue to be extremely competitive for the next few years.

TOP 15 FRESHMAN CLASSES

1. Minnesota

2. Boston University

3. Wisconsin

4. Denver

5. Colorado College

6. North Dakota

7. St. Cloud State

8. Cornell

9. UMass Lowell

10. Michigan State

Recruiting Rankings

Don't put too much stock in INCH. They don't know anymore than the average poster on this site. I suspect that Darcy Zajac and Chris Vandevelde are flying under the radar.

Exactly what did UND need to recruit after last year's class?

Those other WCHA schools needed outstanding classes to replace their losses.

This was a "fill needs" group for UND, not a wholesale restocking like 2005, and as such may not have the "marquee" factor of the others. Given that, sixth nationally looks pretty good.

And ultimately, the final ranking of the incoming 2006 recruits will be made in April of 2010.

could care less if UND was #1 and i do not put much stock into INCH no matter who they rank. they should worry about getting facts straight over there and editing/proof reading first off.............we know minnesota and north dakota, uw and du will always be in the tops and where they rank all determines on who and what they need that year and how many kids you have to bring in. SHOW ME ON THE ICE, thats my thinking

so, the gophs should have #6 in the bag and the banner already up with a sheet over it ready to unvail to be 07 champs...oh wait, isnt that what was suppose to happen last year as well, maybe they can just take the 6 off 06 and replace it with a 7 :p:hypocrite:

seriously, cant friken wait for the season to start and watch the wcha from top to bottom and really cannot wait for the jan 26,27 meeting at UofMtc

could care less if UND was #1 and i do not put much stock into INCH no matter who they rank. they should worry about getting facts straight over there and editing/proof reading first off.............we know minnesota and north dakota, uw and du will always be in the tops and where they rank all determines on who and what they need that year and how many kids you have to bring in. SHOW ME ON THE ICE, thats my thinking

so, the gophs should have #6 in the bag and the banner already up with a sheet over it ready to unvail to be 07 champs...oh wait, isnt that what was suppose to happen last year as well, maybe they can just take the 6 off 06 and replace it with a 7 :p:hypocrite:

seriously, cant friken wait for the season to start and watch the wcha from top to bottom and really cannot wait for the jan 26,27 meeting at UofMtc

That is a perfect explaination of how I feel about inch and their meaningless ranking.

You'd think with all the top notch recruiting North Dakota has done, they would have won a title this century.

INCH is run by a former SID at Michigan State and a former reporter from Michigan. Even there website was designed by a former MSU hockey player. Jeff Sauer also contributes to the site....he's a big gopher homer.

If they aren't raving about the Sue, it must be Gopher bias.

Exactly what did UND need to recruit after last year's class?

Those other WCHA schools needed outstanding classes to replace their losses.

This was a "fill needs" group for UND, not a wholesale restocking like 2005, and as such may not have the "marquee" factor of the others. Given that, sixth nationally looks pretty good.

And ultimately, the final ranking of the incoming 2006 recruits will be made in April of 2010.

i agree, UND's recruits are, in my opinion, better than umtc even...because the recruits that are coming in are not going to leave after this year... ej and okposo are 1 year and 2 year at most(respectively). and i also agree with others "dont put too much in these"

For the sake of the argument (I know I risk getting slammed for this) is it really a stretch that the Gophers incoming class was rated #1 by any publication? I would think their class would be considered about as good as it gets by anyone.

HOWEVER ----- Who cares about these rankings? Even if the Gophers legitimately have a higher rated class, rankings don't win championships - Sioux fans that saw the UM-HC debacle should know that as much as anyone.

While I won't complain that the Gophers are rated highly in this category, will anyone really care about this statistic in April? Heck, will anyone really care about this in October?

has done, they would have won a title this century.

INCH is run by a former SID at Michigan State and a former reporter from Michigan. Even there website was designed by a former MSU hockey player. Jeff Sauer also contributes to the site....he's a big gopher homer.

Actually I think some Sioux fans would like to just get an honest shake from INCH. But your right, UMN does have a good team on paper, wether that transfers over to the ice is a nother thing.

i agree, UND's recruits are, in my opinion, better than umtc even...because the recruits that are coming in are not going to leave after this year... ej and okposo are 1 year and 2 year at most(respectively). and i also agree with others "dont put too much in these"

EJ and Okposo will probably be here for just one year(EJ is for sure gone after one, Okposo may be here two), but there are a handful of players in this class that will be here for three or four years. Barribal, Lucia, Carmen, O'Brien, Schack, and Flynn just to name a few. Even Fischer could stay three years considering he's coming straight from high school. It's not a one and done type class like you suggest.

A few years ago when UND was ranked number one in these rankings and T. Zajac was first among forwards(as was Brady Murray the year before) I highly doubt you people had the same opinion of INCH and these rankings then as you do now.

Look at it this way. This is probably UND's worst class in years(more of a compliment to past classes, not a knock on this one) and it's still #6 in the country. That's pretty impressive.

As big a UND Sioux fan as I am, I don't see how you can say that our recruits this year are better than Minnesota's. I like the player's we brought in, because they will the voids that we needed to fill the most. Sure, our player's will most likely be around far longer than some of their recruits, but on talent and accolades alone, Minnesota's class is the best this year. Whether that makes them the best team will remain to be seen. We'll see come April. Live with it and let's move on.

Actually I think some Sioux fans would like to just get an honest shake from INCH. But your right, UMN does have a good team on paper, wether that transfers over to the ice is a nother thing.

Are you serious? INCH has been doing these rankings for the last four years I believe and every year until this year UND has been ranked very high for overall classes and they've always had several players ranked high in the forwards and defensemen categories. INCH has always given UND a fair shake and to suggest otherwise just sounds petty.

UND's class isn't ranked that high for one simple reason: This class just isn't as good as the previous classes we're use to seeing UND get.

As big a UND Sioux fan as I am, I don't see how you can say that our recruits this year are better than Minnesota's. I like the player's we brought in, because they will the voids that we needed to fill the most. Sure, our player's will most likely be around far longer than some of their recruits, but on talent and accolades alone, Minnesota's class is the best this year. Whether that makes them the best team will remain to be seen. We'll see come April. Live with it and let's move on.

im saying that i would rather have a class of 4 year players rather than 1 year players...maturity wins championships.

I could be wrong, but my guess is that Goon's criticism goes beyond the freshman class annual ratings.

That could be. I'm just saying that every year they do these rankings UND is well represented and usually very high in the overall class category. I rarely even bother with that site with the exception of these rankings so I could be wrong but I just have a hard time believing they have something against UND.

Let me start off just by saying I really don't care about the recruiting rankings. #6 is pretty dang good in the country. I honestly think thats about where we should be.

I am actually embarassed that any Sioux fan would argue that our class is better then the Gophers. They have a phenomenal class this year. It's kind of ridiculous to think that ours could match theirs talent wise. I'm a very very loyal and die hard sioux fan, but come on guys, don't try to argue when your point is so wrong.

You'd think with all the top notch recruiting North Dakota has done, they would have won a title this century.

Seems to me like 2000 is part of this century.

I think what most people are saying is that it is on the ice that talent, or lack thereof will be proven. From what I understand, Lucia is talking about the need to rethink the recruiting strategy to have more four year players around, at least more evenly distributed. To look at it through rose-colored glasses, maybe the Sioux are just ahead of the game in that regard.