SiouxSports.com Forum

CWU vs UND

SiouxMD

Enough with the friendly banter with our neighbors to the south...it is time for Fighting Sioux football!

UND 37

CWU 13

UND scores 5 touchdowns...the kicker goes 4 for 5 on XP and 1 for 2 on FG.

CWU scores 1 touchdown and two fieldgoals.

BTW...streaming video/audio is blocked here in Iraq so I request frequent updates during gametime...11PM local.

GO SIOUX!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you guys are right and that the Sioux can handle Central Washington. They have had a tough time a couple years in the past and CWU brought in some transfers along with losing only 5 starters. This game concerns me a bit, mostly because if they lose this game it could be almost a must-win situation against a heavily favored Northern Iowa team. Two losses doesn't eliminate you from playoff contention, but it sure puts your back against the wall. Any team that can beat Nebraska Omaha and win 7 in a row while averaging 42 points can't be taken lightly, and I hope the Sioux are all business in this one.

I hope you guys are right and that the Sioux can handle Central Washington. They have had a tough time a couple years in the past and CWU brought in some transfers along with losing only 5 starters. This game concerns me a bit, mostly because if they lose this game it could be almost a must-win situation against a heavily favored Northern Iowa team. Two losses doesn't eliminate you from playoff contention, but it sure puts your back against the wall. Any team that can beat Nebraska Omaha and win 7 in a row while averaging 42 points can't be taken lightly, and I hope the Sioux are all business in this one.

Actually, they didn't beat Omaha--they lost 28-21, and UNO was without Day and Denney in that game. They did beat a pretty good Washburn team in Ellensburg (44-41, I think), but that was their lone win which I would consider to be high quality. Their other wins were over Montana-Western, and two each over Western Washington (who we all saw was terrible last year), Western Oregon and Humboldt State. CWU's defense isn't very good, and they have no running game, but they will throw the ball well. However, as UND showed in the two games vs. UMD last year, that's not necessarily a recipe for success against the Sioux. I predict Reilly will throw for a lot of yards with short passes, but it won't result in more than 20 points. Barring a bunch of turnovers, I have confidence that the Manke-led offense, with some help from a defensive/special teams score, will score more than that.

Enough with the friendly banter with our neighbors to the south...it is time for Fighting Sioux football!

UND 37

CWU 13

UND scores 5 touchdowns...the kicker goes 4 for 5 on XP and 1 for 2 on FG.

CWU scores 1 touchdown and two fieldgoals.

BTW...streaming video/audio is blocked here in Iraq so I request frequent updates during gametime...11PM local.

GO SIOUX!

You have some pretty lofty goals involved with the scoring, but I hope you are right.

According the WDAZ sports last night, it sounds like the offensive line is having some injury problems. Again. No names were mentioned, but Kusler has apparently moved back to guard, so I assume either Murray or Troen, or both, is injured.

Wow, didn't Lennon just say the other day that everyone emerged from fall camp healthy? ;) For them to be moving Kusler back to guard must mean that at least two guys are hurt.

Wow, didn't Lennon just say the other day that everyone emerged from fall camp healthy? ;) For them to be moving Kusler back to guard must mean that at least two guys are hurt.

Does anyone know more about this? The poll in the on-line Herald this morning asks what the biggest concern entering this game is - and one of the options is the injuries to the offensive line!! Not good!

Does anyone know more about this? The poll in the on-line Herald this morning asks what the biggest concern entering this game is - and one of the options is the injuries to the offensive line!! Not good!

I believe the guy who created that poll (tdutch) got the idea for that choice from the same WDAZ story I saw. Outside of the people in the program, I'm not sure anybody really knows exactly what the injury situation is. Wayne Nelson hasn't written anything about it. I suppose it could be worse. At least Kusler has a whole year of experience starting at guard. UNO's so thin on the line that a guy who entered camp as a backup tight end and who has never played on the line is now their starting center!

Excerpt from the Herald today regarding the offensive line:

UND didn't have any major injuries in its preseason camp.

However, there were enough bumps and bruises to produce some changes in the Sioux offensive line.

Will Kusler, who was moved to tight end at the start of preseason camp, has been moved back to right guard, the position he played last season.

Brian Troen has been hobbled by a sprained ankle and Brett Bauer has battled shoulder problems. However, both linemen are expected to play today.

"We're a little banged up, but guys are bouncing back," Troen said. "Most of the guys should be ready."

Bauer is expected to start at left tackle, while Troen will man the left guard position. Mitch Braegelmann, who sat out last season with an injury, is at center, while Kusler and Andy Hoffelt, who also missed last season, are on the right side of the line.

I guess I don't understand why Kusler is supposedly slated to start at guard, given that Taylor Murray was listed as the starter in the press release earlier this week, and isn't mentioned as being injured in the article?

What are the chances the the streaming audio feed will be up and running by this afternoon? It isn't working right now.

Edit: The link on the official UND site does work. Jim, note that the link on the front page here is different than the one on the UND site. Here's the working link:

http://a1035.l2000147243.c20001.g.lm.akama...reflector:47243

What are the chances the the streaming audio feed will be up and running by this afternoon? It isn't working right now.

Edit: The link of the official UND site does work. Jim, note that the link on the front page here is different than the one on the UND site. Here's the working link:

Thanks for the link!

Edit: The link of the official UND site does work. Jim, note that the link on the front page here is different than the one on the UND site. Here's the working link:

Thanks for pointing that out. I've definitely been slow in getting ramped up for football this year. I wonder if the changed link (from a UND address to high bandwidth Internet provider, Akamai) also suggests a serious increase in reliability?

Thanks for pointing that out. I've definitely been slow in getting ramped up for football this year. I wonder if the changed link, implying new provider, also suggests a serious increase in reliability?

One can only hope ;) Guessing it still has to go through that on campus server, which someone keeps shutting down at inopportune times.

After reading many articles this week about the game today, it really reminds me of the buildup for last year's Winona State game. Winona looked at last year's game as arguably their biggest home game ever, and were very optimistic due to the close game they had played in GF the year before. CWU is really building this one up due to it being their first-ever NCC game, and are very optimistic due to their 8-2 record last year and their return of a lot of starters (although just six on offense). I just hope the results are similar to the Winona game. There can be a danger in being too "up" for a game, and hopefully that happens today with CWU.