SiouxSports.com Forum

The crazy Malkin Story

AZSIOUX

just reading the new twist on the malkin story, very interesting how russia will not cooperate with the NHL...I sure hope he is heading here, it will only help the NHL the sooner it happens :lol:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2548273

"We're all in shock," Gennady Velichkin said after Malkin, Pittsburgh's No. 1 pick in 2004, secretly fled Metallurg's training camp in Finland on Saturday just days after agreeing to a new contract with the club.

"The players, coaching staff are also very upset because for four days Malkin was training with the team and suddenly he is gone without saying a word to anyone," he told Reuters in a telephone interview.

"They all like to talk about democracy, the American way and then they shamelessly steal our best players. This is pure sports terrorism."

:love: (sorry, this statement is just a bit over the top)

here is another good quote...

"Don't forget, Malkin is a young kid, he is still very naive and it was easy for them to get into his head all that stuff about the American dream and how great the NHL is," he added.

By not accepting the player transfer deal the Russians will cut their own throats. More of their Elite young players will come to North America to play major junior hockey and they won't get a "Red" cent for any of them. Then they can step directly into the NHL ranks without all this nonsense just as Quebec City's Alexander Radulov will do this coming season. The loser in this case is the Moscow Dynamo.

http://www.russianprospects.com/public/pro...p?player_id=273

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2548273

here is another good quote...

"Don't forget, Malkin is a young kid, he is still very naive and it was easy for them to get into his head all that stuff about the American dream and how great the NHL is," he added.

And the point is what??? All hockey players, regardless of country of origin, have the same dream; to play in the NHL. If there were a better professional hockey association any where else in the world that is where our young hockey players would dream of playing.

When I read this story on ESPN.com I practically fell off of my chair in hysteria. "Sports Terrorism"... now that is just too funny. Sorry to break it to the russian's but the kid is by all means eligible to make his own decisions regarding his future, the fact that he didn't discuss his plans with his current team says more about his character and maturity than it does about an american buisness filling his "naive" head with dreams of playing in the NHL and making probably two to three times as much as he would in Russia. The fact is, a player of his calibur belongs in the NHL, and not in the russian elite league.

$200,000 to get this guy out of Russia? I hate to say it, but his Russian team has a point. Given the bidding wars in major league baseball where teams submit sealed bids to Japanese baseball clubs for the rights to "buy" players like Ichiro Suzuki and 'Godzilla,' that's absurd that $200K could buy Malkin.

$200,000 to get this guy out of Russia? I hate to say it, but his Russian team has a point. Given the bidding wars in major league baseball where teams submit sealed bids to Japanese baseball clubs for the rights to "buy" players like Ichiro Suzuki and 'Godzilla,' that's absurd that $200K could buy Malkin.

I'll admit I don't know too much about the process of buying players from other leagues (maybe someone would like to put some more light on the subject for me?) But one thing I do now is that as much as we all like to deny it, ice hockey is nothing compared to sports such as soccer, or baseball in terms of revenue, fan base, and so forth. While $200k may be a lowball offer, if the Russian team thinks they are going to get 10's of millions (as soccer teams get) like they suggested in the espn.com article, I would have to think that they are mistaken.

I'll admit I don't know too much about the process of buying players from other leagues (maybe someone would like to put some more light on the subject for me?) But one thing I do now is that as much as we all like to deny it, ice hockey is nothing compared to sports such as soccer, or baseball in terms of revenue, fan base, and so forth. While $200k may be a lowball offer, if the Russian team thinks they are going to get 10's of millions (as soccer teams get) like they suggested in the espn.com article, I would have to think that they are mistaken.

I think tens of millions of dollars is pretty unreasonable, but if I'm the Russian leagues, of course I'm upset. We're not talking a run-of-the-mill fourth liner with Malkin.

• 3 weeks later...