SiouxSports.com Forum

Here come your Jumping Frogs!

PCM

You're comparing apples to oranges, Sioux-cia.

N-word, Spics, Wops, Hebes, Chinks, etc. are all obviously offensive. Frogs? A frog is a creature with little webbed feet. If this sports team were located in Butte, MT, you'd think it was pretty cool. Making the "French-connection" is a bit of a stretch for me.

That's the idea I got too. When is a frog NOT a frog? The mascot is a frog and they are called the jumping frogs. On paper, visually, there is NOTHING to make anyone believe that this name is any different from naming the team the Huskies, Eagles, Terrapins, Jackrabbits, etc. The excuse of using a French flag to make it seem racist is merely a visual device to attach the term "frog" with the derogatory slang that has people up in arms.

I don't know what Kebekwa means, but if it doesn't mean "Frogs" then I could possibly see a corroboration between the frog mascot, the name, and racism, but if they are the Quebec Jumping Frogs, then there is no such racist remark evident, IMO.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the hoopla this name is getting and will continue to get, I think that this name and logo may be a 'great' media play and the team will be getting a different name and logo when the smoke clears. Great way to jump start their flailing sport.

Which is why I brought up the Houston 1836 and the newly-named Houston Dynamo.

Ever been to the South? I hate being called a Yankee. Yankee's are from the North East, not NoDak.

A: You took my quote out of context. Whether you consider yourself a Yankee or not, most people outside the U.S. consider all Americans "yanks" or "Yankees." When protestors in other countries shout "Yankee go home!" they're not saying that it's okay for Southerners to stay.

B. You're missing the point. You, being from the South, could call me a Yankee and I wouldn't care. And I doubt that few, if any, people in the Yankee-inhabited part of the U.S. would consider it an insult, either. To return to the original point of the thread, it would make even less sense for me to be insulted if someone from North Dakota called me a Yankee.

I've been called a 'beaner', insulting derogatory and hurtful to 'little girl' me. Persons of Mexican descent are called beaners because beans were a big staple in our diets.

The French are called Frogs because they eat frog legs.

Vietnamese are called Dog eaters because they eat dog.

Remember the Disney movie The Mighty Ducks? One kid called another one 'Cake Eater',as an insult, because the other kid came from a rich community.

The owner of this Quebec basketball team is well aware that the name Frogs is insulting to French people. He wants to nullify the negative term by calling his team the Frogs. Good idea, I agree in princiiple but it is an insult to thousands of people who know that being called a frog is not a compliment.

I'm not going to change any minds here, I know. I just want my opinion, as someone 'who's been there' expressed.

Oh, and one more thing, just because you didn't know a name or term is an insult doen't mean it isn't especially to those who use the term to refer to others and to the others who are subjected to it.

Although I would not be insulted if you were to refer to me as a "beer guzzler".... :love:

hey Im from Winnipeg, and we are the second biggest populated place for frenchies, and it made the news up here and they were interviewing people about it and half the people were laughing there heads off about it. I think that Quebec should just stop having to say something negative about everything and if they want to spilt up from Canada then they can and they can have there own olympic team but they will still suck.

A: You took my quote out of context. Whether you consider yourself a Yankee or not, most people outside the U.S. consider all Americans "yanks" or "Yankees." When protestors in other countries shout "Yankee go home!" they're not saying that it's okay for Southerners to stay.

B. You're missing the point. You, being from the South, could call me a Yankee and I wouldn't care. And I doubt that few, if any, people in the Yankee-inhabited part of the U.S. would consider it an insult, either. To return to the original point of the thread, it would make even less sense for me to be insulted if someone from North Dakota called me a Yankee.

Look PCM, all I am saying is that is many people in the South refer to anyone that was born above the Mason-Dixon line a Yankee. Most of the time it is preceeded by the F word or the GD yankees or something like that. I know a lot of Canadians, including my friends, that call anyone born south of the 49th a Yankee. I get called a Yankee on a regular basis from clients, friends, and others. I think, could be wrong, the term is from the civil war referring to the union. I swear some of the old timers around here, especially out in the sticks, think that you can't trust them Yanks because you never know when another civil war might break out. I guess I don't hate it but I would prefer not being called one. I think what bothers me the most about the term is that I FRICKIN HATE THE NY YANKEES.

A. Just going off my personal experiences living down here

B. Didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch.

Look PCM, all I am saying is that is many people in the South refer to anyone that was born above the Mason-Dixon line a Yankee. Most of the time it is preceeded by the F word or the GD yankees or something like that. I know a lot of Canadians, including my friends, that call anyone born south of the 49th a Yankee. I get called a Yankee on a regular basis from clients, friends, and others. I think, could be wrong, the term is from the civil war referring to the union. I swear some of the old timers around here, especially out in the sticks, think that you can't trust them Yanks because you never know when another civil war might break out. I guess I don't hate it but I would prefer not being called one. I think what bothers me the most about the term is that I FRICKIN HATE THE NY YANKEES.

A. Just going off my personal experiences living down here

B. Didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch.

Impossible, he wears a thong. :love:

Edit: Diapers :lol:

Yankee comes from the song Yankee Doodle (duh!) that was written by a British doctor, Richard Shuckburgh, to ridicule Americans/colonists. While the British solidiers were well dressed and mannered, the colonists were a bunch of ragtag, fur wearing yokels. Doodle at that time meant simpleton.

Wow, it feels so weird to use my history degree for something other then tp.

Yankee comes from the song Yankee Doodle (duh!) that was written by a British doctor, Richard Shuckburgh, to ridicule Americans/colonists. While the British solidiers were well dressed and mannered, the colonists were a bunch of ragtag, fur wearing yokels. Doodle at that time meant simpleton.

You were in college THAT long for a HISTORY degree? :love::lol:

Come on Diggler, we all know you googled before you posted. :love:

Look PCM, all I am saying is that is many people in the South refer to anyone that was born above the Mason-Dixon line a Yankee.

And did I disagree with you? No, I didn't.

I think, could be wrong, the term is from the civil war referring to the union.

You are wrong. And if you'd read the entire thread and the link I posted to the origins of the word "Yankee," you'd understand the context in which I used that word as it relates to the word "Frog."

Can't sleep and that's why you're up so late, grandpa? Kinda sad when you have to rely on redwing for insults. That's like relying on Fat Albert for diet advice.

Well, that explains why I'm not losing any weight. :D

Look PCM, all I am saying is that is many people in the South refer to anyone that was born above the Mason-Dixon line a Yankee. Most of the time it is preceeded by the F word or the GD yankees or something like that. I swear some of the old timers around here, especially out in the sticks, think that you can't trust them Yanks because you never know when another civil war might break out. I guess I don't hate it but I would prefer not being called one. I think what bothers me the most about the term is that I FRICKIN HATE THE NY YANKEES.

I think then the biggest reason that you hate the word is because your first association of what it means is with Reggie Jackson, Billy Martin, George Steinbrenner, Bernie Williams, and E-Rod. That shouldn't cloud your definition of what it means or what its origins are.

On the flip-side, would sometime tell some of those redneck good ol' southern boys that THEY LOST and to get over it. Sheesh.

I think then the biggest reason that you hate the word is because your first association of what it means is with Reggie Jackson, Billy Martin, George Steinbrenner, Bernie Williams, and E-Rod. That shouldn't cloud your definition of what it means or what its origins are.

You forgot Bucky f'n Dent and Aaron f'n Boone :D I luv it when the RedSox fold.