SiouxSports.com Forum

Dayn Belfour to FM Jets

andyk1001

He went to try out in Red Deer (WHL) but he didn't make it. Now he is playing for Winkler.(his dads old team). If he would have made Red Deer he wouldn't of been able to play NCAA hockey.

maybe he will continue to improve and follow his dads fotsteps at UND..does he have UND potential if anyone would know?

maybe he will continue to improve and follow his dads fotsteps at UND..does he have UND potential if anyone would know?

I hope that I'm wrong and that he's a late bloomer like his dad, but I honestly do not think he's very good. He was at the Jets final tryout camp and was one of the 3 goalies initially kept, but most of the other players and people that watched him were surprised that the Jets kept him. I saw him in 4 games, and I did not think that he was as good as Beau Christian or the goalie from Holy Angels, Keaton Smith, who was not kept. In one game, he gave up 5 goals on about 12 shots. He certainly does not have UND potential at this time, but he is young.

I hope that I'm wrong and that he's a late bloomer like his dad, but I honestly do not think he's very good. He was at the Jets final tryout camp and was one of the 3 goalies initially kept, but most of the other players and people that watched him were surprised that the Jets kept him. I saw him in 4 games, and I did not think that he was as good as Beau Christian or the goalie from Holy Angels, Keaton Smith, who was not kept. In one game, he gave up 5 goals on about 12 shots. He certainly does not have UND potential at this time, but he is young.

In my opinion Austin Lee has the brightest future out of all these goalies. Unfortunatly he has already committed to Mankato.

From the Forum

Belfour not joining F-M Jets after all

Goaltender Dayn Belfour, the son of NHL legend and former University of North Dakota standout Grant Belfour, will play for the Winkler Flyers of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League this season.

Belfour had committed to play for the North American Hockey League

Come on Skates, have you no sense of nepotism? UND should offer this kid a full ride based on his father being Eddie a/k/a "Grant" Belfour.

• 1 year later...
That is true. As of now, the Jets goalies are Austin Lee of Bloomington, Elliot Okland of Fargo and Beau Christian of Moorhead.

Hadn't seen this posted yet:

Canada Post: Dayn Belfour even sounds like his father, Ed

The Winkler Flyers, a team that went 33-23-0-2 and finished fourth in the MJHL's Addison Division, took out the nationally-ranked Selkirk Steelers (44-12-0-1) in six games in the opening round of the provincial junior playoffs last week.

Dayn Belfour, the 18-year-old son of the former Toronto Maple Leafs goaltender, was in net for all six games. He made 57 saves in the final two games as the Flyers beat the league's best team by identical 4-2 scores.

It's amazing, but when you walk into the Winkler Arena and look at the Flyers, the kid between the pipes is a carbon copy of the greatest goalie in Flyers history. He stands the same as the Eagle, flops around the same, looks the same and, lately, has played about the same as a guy who won two Vezina trophies (1991, 1993), a Canada Cup championship (1991), an Olympic gold medal (2002) and a Stanley Cup (1999) in a 17-year NHL career.

Young Dayn, who will likely follow in his father's footsteps and head to the University of North Dakota in a year or two, has been more confident than ever during the playoffs. Obviously, the overseas phone calls have been paying off.