SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Divison I Move

BisonMav

From Lennon's comments, has UND started the process for a DI move?

"Lennon came to Winnipeg and had dinner at the Alexander household. He also told his recruit that the blueprints for an indoor practice facility have been drawn up and a move up to Division I could happen within the next three years."

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Hoyte speaks up with a customary sentiment typical of the intellectually downtrodden.

Naturally now that NDSU is paving the way and the benefits are becoming obvious the old plan of DI hockey/DII other sports isn't looking good. Even the NCAA hockey elite are getting a little tired of the free ride. Look for an all Big 10 hockey league in the future and the WCHA will remain DI/DII. Watch for Bemidji in the NCC, and possibly to replace WCHA Big 10 defectors.

As you examine all of your options don't forget all of the great reasons put forth for staying right where you are. It seems very unlikely that a move downward in scholarships combined with some changes in the way the hockey playoff field is selected would be enough to overcome the months and months of reassurance that staying DII was absolutely the way to go.

Somehow I can't believe that the long lists of negatives could be overcome by anything less than a bruised ego. It's become very obvious that UND preceives it is in a corner looking for a way out.

Mr. Hoyte speaks up with a customary sentiment typical of the intellectually downtrodden.

Naturally now that NDSU is paving the way and the benefits are becoming obvious the old plan of DI hockey/DII other sports isn't looking good. Even the NCAA hockey elite are getting a little tired of the free ride. Look for an all Big 10 hockey league in the future and the WCHA will remain DI/DII. Watch for Bemidji in the NCC, and possibly to replace WCHA Big 10 defectors.

As you examine all of your options don't forget all of the great reasons put forth for staying right where you are. It seems very unlikely that a move downward in scholarships combined with some changes in the way the hockey playoff field is selected would be enough to overcome the months and months of reassurance that staying DII was absolutely the way to go.

Somehow I can't believe that the long lists of negatives could be overcome by anything less than a bruised ego. It's become very obvious that UND preceives it is in a corner looking for a way out.

NDSU is actually 2-1 against the UND hockey machine. Unfortunately we had to drop hockey in about 1932 because of the depression. Our rink would be set up on the late great Dacotah Field. Outside of course, where hockey should be played.

I say we move D1 then join the Big10 conference for all sports when the Big10 adds hockey.

Unfortunately, we'd need to get FB attendance up to about 17,000 to go D-IA instead of just D-IAA. That's far more realistic, though, than attracting Big Ten attention, for which you'd either have to have a history of a top football program (e.g. Notre Dame) or attendance up to about 50,000 and school size up to about 35,000.

Don't worry, though, Big Ten hockey is something that only seems realistic to those wishful Bison fans who take delight in things that hurt UND athletics (browse any Bison-frequented board around the time they all misunderstood the hockey autobid situation for examples of the people I'm talking about). It's discussed to death on USCHO, so I won't go into all the reasons, but Big Ten won't form a hockey conference with the 5 current members and probably wouldn't really be interested until about 8 had hockey. That's not happening any time soon.

Football is best played indoors as you well know. When we travel to Missoula next year, for what could be the nationally televised game of the 'week in DIAA ball it appears it will be the first half of a home/home. It was my opinion that first clear sign UND was staying DII was the 12,000 seat football arena. The first sign NDSU was moving up was the Fabulous Fargo Dome debate between 19,000 seats fixed or building in expansion potential for 30,000.

How exactly could FargoDome be expanded to 30,000 seats? I don't see the space because there's four-sides seating already, plus, isn't the sidelines to seats gap too narrow already?

We've covered this already, but Alerus Center is larger than a significant number of IAA football stadiums, so get over yourself.

PS - Glad to see those Griz fans calibrated you on geography. :)

Unfortunately, we'd need to get FB attendance up to about 17,000 to go D-IA instead of just D-IAA. That's far more realistic, though, than attracting Big Ten attention, for which you'd either have to have a history of a top football program (e.g. Notre Dame) or attendance up to about 50,000 and school size up to about 35,000.

Don't worry, though, Big Ten hockey is something that only seems realistic to those wishful Bison fans who take delight in things that hurt UND athletics (browse any Bison-frequented board around the time they all misunderstood the hockey autobid situation for examples of the people I'm talking about). It's discussed to death on USCHO, so I won't go into all the reasons, but Big Ten won't form a hockey conference with the 5 current members and probably wouldn't really be interested until about 8 had hockey. That's not happening any time soon.

I know, I know. Just wishful thinking. But wouldn't it be damn cool?!?

The plan to build the Fabulous Fargo Dome so that it could be expanded was defeated and it was built as is. On the opposite end of the spectrum were the folks that wanted it scaled to seat only 10,000. Thank goodness that was defeated. The expansion plan would have allowed for a second deck. It was unclear if it would be added later or simply left unfinished. 12,000 seats is just not big enough in Fargo. It may be fine for your town and might function perfectly well for DIAA ball, but it certainly hurts revenue growth and represents a limitation.

First, when you say "your town" you assume incorrectly about location.

Next, I agree that a 10k stadium in Fargo would have made no sense. It's already there and called Dakotah Field.

Somebody correct me here if I'm wrong, but I believe Alerus Center was built such that if the need arose in the future, endzone seating could be added by moving the north and south walls out. I believe it's always better to have a stadium that looks full.

What do you mean 12,000 isn't enough in fargo? It would be nice if it was bigger only because more concerts would come up here. But how often is that place actually full? Only time I can think of is when the Sioux come to town.

I grew up in Moorhead, by the way. So I pretty much know what I'm talking about.

You are probably right with a normal DII program, 12,000 seats are about right. The Bison have had years of over 14,000 average per game. With the move to I-AA, 12,000 won't be enough seats. Many of the I-AA schools have hugh followings. Montana for one would fill the Fargodome. If UND went I-AA they would have to expand the Alerus eventually. Sicatoka mentioned there is the capability.

As it turned out the Fabulous Fargo Dome was built to the right scale. Its true it doesnt often sell out, but the size is needed for a lot of other events. On the other hand at least until last season, a crowd of less than 12,000 was rare. AS NDSU moves into new territory I think the crowds will get bigger. There is going to be more interest and exposure. In addition the way Fargo is growing there are going to be more and more fans in the market. 5% - 10% of the metros population attends football games. Add 1,000 more people and you have 100 or so new fans. Having the excess seats is a nice feature when you look at growth.

FargoDome may be just a bit oversized, today. But, Fargo is growing into it.

NDSU FB attendance may have slid last year and may slide for a few with growing pains, but the stadium is not dramatically oversized. They easily fill it for other key revenue events.

I don't know if I agree with the 'fans' extrapolation number however. As a city grows, as new people move in, not as many have ties to the school. There will be new fans, but I question the fan ratio tossed out there.

• 2 weeks later...

The Sicatoka,

Can the Alerus be expanded? Actually, 13,500 would be on the lower half of the list. Also, many of the Big Sky, Southern, and Gateway schools are in the 16,000+ range. These are probably the top three conferences in I-AA. Just thought I would point that out.