SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Divison I Move

BisonMav

Sicatoka,

If the Alerus is expanded, which would involve adding endzone seating, would they account for nobody wanting to sit outside of the 20's anymore? ??? Is there any possible way to elevate the seating more?

Note: I had seats for the Pitt St. and Cal-Davis playoff games, right on the 20 yard line, row K. When people were standing(most of those games), I had a blind spot that began on the sideline at the 50 yard line and continued to the far end field goal post. This cut off a decent portion of the field, and the monitors didn't help much at that distance.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can Alerus be expanded? I've asked around and not gotten an answer one way or the other. The obvious way would be to put in endzone seating.

By my counting (which I do not guarantee as accurate because counting and scrolling never works), on the list provided, FargoDome, NDSU, 19500, would be 27th, and Alerus Center, UND, 13500, would be 56th, and I counted 109 on the list. I'd say that fits right in the middle of that list.

The other part of stadiums is fitting the community and fan base. Alerus is right for Grand Forks right now, especially with it's neighbor just north on 6th Avenue.

Regarding configurations:

Some think Alerus is too flat. (I think any flatter would be too flat.)

Some think FargoDome is too steep. (I think any steeper would be too steep.)

I hate the lighting in FargoDome. Others tell me it's perfect.

The Alerus boards seem fuzzy, but I'm comparing to ones in The Ralph.

We'll always find something to complain about (especially in the other guy's stadium). I had a seat on the end of a row all the way to the north end for the UCD game (I got tickets really late). I loved it. I had no problems with the view of the field even when people were standing. Didn't you stand up too?

Of course I stood up. At 6' 1" I didn't understand why the sight line became so poor. I read an article about the Alerus, maybe it was the Aurora at the time, and it stated that the "quonset" design was implemented to facilitate possible expansion to the ends. I think it would require al little more than just adding seats, because of rerouting the concourses, but it could be done.

bisonguy:

Oh yeah, the concourses would need to be moved out to put endzone seating in. And you would have to guess that they'd put in some restrooms and concessions in an expansion as well.

Is it planned any time soon? No. Does the building allow for it? I believe so.

You have to remember where this claim of expansion capabilities has come from. Any supporting idea can be blurted out and even backed by non existant "facts" and outdated sources as has been adequately proven by a very few members on this board. Take it with a huge grain of salt! ???

I've tried to find the right answer and I've gotten two stories.

You must have selective hearing (reading).

It isn't selective hearing (or reading) that JBB is practicing. As evidenced in nearly every post made by this person, it is quite clear that the person you are debating suffers from a severe case of DD. That's dumbass disease. ??? The continued juvenile referrals of UND as something my 10 year old niece would have come up with and the attempts at actually blaming the UND coaches for getting harassed and assaulted is evidence of this.

I thought there was a time that this person was warned to shape up in his/her postings. Siouxrock may be annoying and all, but this person is making it just as difficult to have an intelligent conversation on a number of topics on this message board. I think a suspension is way overdue in this case. You guys remember SDSU fan? Of course you do. He was certainly over the top, but did add some substance at times. This person has added NOTHING.

Be nice to JBB. He may have just missed that. I'm trying to find the answers for him. He seems so interested in Sioux Athletics of late. Maybe he's becoming a closet fan. ?????????

I'm accused of "selective hearing" all the time.

For some reason, I never listen to it.

(Ba-dump-bump ... ting!)

Bison_Kent,

Maybe you would like to link the gate figures also.Build it and they will come

is not the norm if your L's are more than your W's. ???

JBB,

As for the Big 10 in hockey,Please, Please, Please let there be a Big 10 league!

You might want to brush up on your Men's Ice Hockey rules. ???

Here are the I-AA attendance figures for the 2002 season. NDSU would have ranked in the Top 25 even with a 2-8 record. Look out when the NDSU is in I-AA. I will predict a Top 10 attendance figure just as NDSU has had in the past 10 years in D2 excluding last year. I figure when the Bison are a full blown I-AA member we will have numbers resembling Montana's.

http://www.ncaa.org/stats/division1%20foot...GATTENDANCE.pdf

Also, note that the waiting period for the I-AA playoffs is 4 years from when the schedule is a full I-AA schedule. It is a total of 5 years but one being classified as a reclassification year and the school can remain in the current division. This is where NDSU is at next year. In the 2008 season, NDSU will be eligible for the I-AA playoffs with or without a conference. Conference affiliation does not mean a quicker period. I found this out on I-AA.org.

Sicatoka,

It says that NDSU and UND were in the top 5 for D2 attendance last year. If one looks at the top 20 teams in both divisions, DIAA attendance is nearly double that of D2. Also, the 50th ranked school in DIAA(Sac. St.) would have been the 7th ranked team in average attendance in D2. Looks like a lot more people go to DIAA games. ??? Average of the top 20 D2 Football average attendances-7395 for DIAA-15922. Looks like DIAA attendance is over double that of D2. ??????

I agree with you bisonguy, look at what power house teams like Lehigh,James Madison,Yale,William &Marry

have done for D1AA football! ???

Average at least 8,400 for attendance while having 8-4, 5-7, 6-4,and 6-5 records? ???

To be fair, what have the D2 powerhouses, such as Ouachita Baptist, Morehouse, or Bowie State done for D2 football?

btw-Lehigh has exactly the same number of D2 football championships that UND has. ???

Riverman,

I am not sure what your argument was trying to prove. Yale is an Ivy League team so sports are a second thought and they don't play for the playoffs. Yale's big game is always Harvard. Lehigh is a perennial playoff team (making it four of the past five years). William & Mary has made it twice in seven years. James Madison has made it to the playoffs three times in the past 9 years.

These are all quality programs with quality attendance. They might not meet the standards that NDSU & UND have set but it proves both schools are I-AA caliber.

BisonK and G,

Big deal they made the play off's.Where is the hardware?Isn't that what it's all about?

Shouldn't that be everyone's standard?I don't think any program is going gosh

I sure hope were second!

I do wonder why Yale wouldn't play for the play off's for football.

Did I miss something?They seem not to have a problem doing so in hockey.

BK, is an Ivy school just a waste of time to play for or against since they don't

put their money where their mouth is so to speak? :0

You folks down south might want to read Sic's post over again. ;) You are taking things way to serious. :D

BG, you make a good point.Maybe I should have stated IMHO a little more.(me bad) ;)

BK,Remember we are just a little old country school up north on I-29 with 7 Division 1 Banners. ;)

We can thump our chest too. When it comes to how many folks go to a D1 game and how many butts fill the seats.If you would like I am sure somebody would me more than happy to link to the figures. ;)

So please let's end the P-ing contest ok? ;)

Riverman,

I would have gladly played for an Ivy League team even though they don't play in the playoffs. I would like to have gone to one of these schools for free and then get a six figure job offer right out of school.

NDSU still holds the state record for a sporting event. 19,020 is the record to beat. Oh, that is right UND doesn't have a facility that holds that much so it looks like NDSU will the only one that can break that record in the near future.

I am glad UND has 7 titles in hockey with a half Canadian roster on those teams. This would be like winning a NCAA soccer title with a half Brazilian roster. Win it with the majority being North Dakota and western Minnesota natives and get back to me. NDSU has 8 titles with that being the case in football alone with this kind of majority.

UND is truely a hockey school. Hockey games average more than football. Not many Division I schools can say that. Probably a DII college with DI Hockey phenom. Even the National Champion Minnesota Gophers average far less fans per game than their football team.

Has UND football ever averaged a higher attendence than NDSU for a season? Maybe back in the 1950's. In 2001 when UND won their national championship they averaged 10,517 fans, NDSU 12,115.

I think the 19,000 fans will become a regular event for NDSU football within the next 10 years. Teams like Montana will take any extra tickets Bison fans don't take. I believe Montana is scheduled to come to Fargo in 2004.

Simple statements:

~20 home dates * 11406 * $15 = $3.42 million

~5 home dates * 19000 * $15 = $1.42 million

You can argue nuances, like number of dates and number of sell-outs, but the bottom lines are what's important (and in this case, they're close enough).

If you are talking hockey you should probably discuss this with the National Champion Minnesota Gophers. I do not believe they have anything to do with I-AA.

Has UND football ever averaged a higher attendence than NDSU for a season? Maybe back in the 1950's. In 2001 when UND won their national championship they averaged 10,517 fans, NDSU 12,115.