SiouxSports.com Forum

Dru trial

Greybeard

From the St. Paul Pioneer Press:

Rodriguez faces long road to execution

Even with a jury's decision that Alfonso Rodriguez Jr. should die, his journey from a North Dakota courtroom to an execution chamber in Indiana is one that will be measured in more than just miles.

One way that passage will be measured is time. There's no telling how long the appeals process might take. Of the 45 people currently facing a federal death sentence, the oldest case dates to 1995.

It can take up to 10 minutes from the time the chemicals start flowing to the time the heart stops.

During that time, a telephone line is kept open in case there is a last-minute grant of clemency. Only the president can do that.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rodriqass's attorney referred to him as a 'child of God'. NO, NO, NO, I do not believe that and never will. He is an animal, a devil and the manner he has lived his life proves that without a shadow of a doubt. He may have been born a 'child of God' but he chose to take the path to hell. He chose it, it was his decision, no one, nothing forced him to become the animal he is. I don't believe he is even human.

I am happy that he has been sentenced to death. While the this trial is over, let us not forget it's not over for Dru's family and friends. They have to live every day without Dru. They'll remain in my prayers.

In a way I think the longer it takes to kill him the better. Let me explain.

The guy is obviously mentally deranged. He's got issues. Every minute he's awake he's going to be thinking, "Is today the day I die?". The longer this drags on the more it will eat at his inner being, whatever is left of it. The guy is either remorseful and has to live with the guilt or he thinks he's above it all and is a caged animal that won't ever again have power over another human being. I have to imagine that over time that starts to mentally eat at him the bastard. Maybe I'm grasping at straws but I'm looking at a silver lining in the fact the guy will live longer than he should.

Or maybe he it gives more opportunity for someone to get him alone and treat him like he treated Dru.

Or maybe he it gives more opportunity for someone to get him alone and treat him like he treated Dru.

From what my co-worker was told from her lawyer husband was that he would be kept in solitary to avoid that happening. He would be carefully watched everywhere to avoid it also. I would guess that is so the jail doesn't get in trouble for not doing something if something did happen to him.

From what my co-worker was told from her lawyer husband was that he would be kept in solitary to avoid that happening. He would be carefully watched everywhere to avoid it also. I would guess that is so the jail doesn't get in trouble for not doing something if something did happen to him.

Death row is like its own jail inside a jail. The death row inmates are never in contact with any other inmates. Actually most death rows are the least violent and have the least inmate problems. All of the inmates are on their best behavior hoping to get spared.

The average federal execution takes 4-5 years. I do not think this one will take much longer than average. When you factor out those that give up their appeals, the number is probably closer to 6 years. Rodriguez's case appears to have been well defended and I doubt the appeals process will take longer than normal.

Death row is like its own jail inside a jail. The death row inmates are never in contact with any other inmates. Actually most death rows are the least violent and have the least inmate problems. All of the inmates are on their best behavior hoping to get spared.

I realize that. I was being facetious as well as expressing wishful thinking that he could go out like Dahmer. :silly:

I realize that. I was being facetious as well as expressing wishful thinking that he could go out like Dahmer. :silly:

Even though death row inmates are secluded, I'm know I've heard of them being beaten and in some cases killed by other inmates. I don't know how they get to them but I do know it's happened.

Even though death row inmates are secluded, I'm know I've heard of them being beaten and in some cases killed by other inmates. I don't know how they get to them but I do know it's happened.

I hope that the "Dahmer" security school is in full attendance at Indiana!

i just got done listening to drew wrigley talk for more than two hours about the case. he went into a lot of detail and gave the entire story of the abduction. the things dru had to go through are practically unspeakable. it's amazing someone can be so cold-hearted. no doubt in my mind that after hearing drew's closing statement that every juror in the courtroom felt rodriguez deserved to die. it was only until a final juror "came to peace" with making the decision that they got the unanimous decision.

No one doubts that Rodriguez committed an unspeakable crime. But few seem ready to grant that he is but one member of a very large club that thrives on the suffering of women.

This really irritated me when I read this editorial this morning. Just because he might be "one member of a very large club" does not justify his actions one bit and to imply it is a joke.

In this day and age, 'life in prison' does not mean dying in prison. Murderers, child rapists, etc. are paroled out of the system routinely mainly due to overcrowding. Executing Rodrigass will insure that he will never again rape, torture or kill another human being!

The death penalty, in this case, will most certainly 'shield women from violence'.

• 1 month later...
In this day and age, 'life in prison' does not mean dying in prison. Murderers, child rapists, etc. are paroled out of the system routinely mainly due to overcrowding. Executing Rodrigass will insure that he will never again rape, torture or kill another human being!

The death penalty, in this case, will most certainly 'shield women from violence'.

This is just a question I was wondering. Does that go for criminals who get sentenced to life without parole. I assume they cannot get paroled right? Or am I wrong.

Do not mistake that statement for sarcasm opposing the death penalty. I believe he should be sentenced to death.

This is just a question I was wondering. Does that go for criminals who get sentenced to life without parole. I assume they cannot get paroled right? Or am I wrong.

Do not mistake that statement for sarcasm opposing the death penalty. I believe he should be sentenced to death.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary....ility+of+parole

life without possibility of parole n. a sentence sometimes given for particularly vicious criminals in murder cases or to repeat felons, particularly if the crime is committed in a state which has no death penalty, the jury chooses not to impose the death penalty, or the judge feels it is simpler to lock the prisoner up and "throw away the key" rather than invite years of appeals while the prisoner languishes on death row. Opponents of capital punishment often advocate this penalty as a substitute for execution. It guarantees the criminal will not endanger the public, and the prospect of never being outside prison is severe punishment. Contrary arguments are that this penalty does not deter murderers, there is always the possibility of escape or killing a guard or fellow prisoner, or some soft-hearted Governor may someday reduce the sentence.

There is no parole under the federal system. Life, does indeed, mean life in most cases, unless the sentence is overturned or the President pardons the convict. Besides, I can't imagine he'd do too well in general population Leavenworth or Atlanta, so his "life" might be shorter than going through the appellate process accompanying a death sentence.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...