SiouxSports.com Forum

U.S. House Action

airmail

Isn't Earl "the Pearl" Pomeroy up for re-election this year? Why not make this bill and the entire name/logo issue a campaign issue? Bring it up to his GOP opponent. If anything, it might get Hastert and the GOP House leadership to move on the bill, and force Pomeroy's hand.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't Earl "the Pearl" Pomeroy up for re-election this year? Why not make this bill and the entire name/logo issue a campaign issue? Bring it up to his GOP opponent. If anything, it might get Hastert and the GOP House leadership to move on the bill, and force Pomeroy's hand.

I hate to be the wet blanket on this whole issue, but this issue isn't worth giving up all we would give up if we voted Pomeroy out of office.

Pomeroy, as it stands right now, has a LOT of seniority in the House. With that comes leadership positions. If we vote him out, his replacement may vote yes on this bill but he'll do so from a very junior position. We won't have a strong voice on the Ways and Means Committee at all. And, frankly, Earl's seat is based upon things unrelated to education: mainly agricultural stuff.

It sucks to be sure, but I think if ND pulls a SD, ND will come out the loser in this deal even if this bill we want so dearly passes.

I hate to be the wet blanket on this whole issue, but this issue isn't worth giving up all we would give up if we voted Pomeroy out of office.

Pomeroy, as it stands right now, has a LOT of seniority in the House. With that comes leadership positions. If we vote him out, his replacement may vote yes on this bill but he'll do so from a very junior position. We won't have a strong voice on the Ways and Means Committee at all. And, frankly, Earl's seat is based upon things unrelated to education: mainly agricultural stuff.

It sucks to be sure, but I think if ND pulls a SD, ND will come out the loser in this deal even if this bill we want so dearly passes.

So? Force his position. Who does he work for, the people of NoDak, or the PACs and others who line his pocket with campaign dollars? If other Members see this as a serious issue, serious enough to attempt to muzzle the NC$$, the this guy should state a position on the bill, one way or another. Let the people of the state decide if it's important enough to influence their votes.

NoDak has had a history of ineffective, inferior politicians because they buy into that whole "seniority" line. "Well, I've been in Congress 40 years, I haven't done much, but I'm chairman of the Select Committee on Pooper Scoopers". Maybe if they voted people in who reflected their own values, mainstream or not, they might have greater influence than the current crop of kow-towing bootlickers.

Pomeroy is a spineless weasel. The whole "seniority" bit is getting old. I do not see him as having done anything significant since he's been in office and accepting donations from questionable groups. What good does it do to be in Congress for 30 years if you do nothing except accept a pay check and get a very good health insurance plan? Quentin Burdick was a fine one for this. He had been in the Senate for years and still Minot lost its fighter wing after Mark Andrews was beaten. What did Burdick do? Nothing. The same thing goes for "Mr. Flibbery" Pomeroy.

Knowlegis did congressional power rankings based on power and ability to be effective in 2005. Pomeroy ranked 332 out of 437. Of the 53 house members first elected in 1992 and still in office, Pomeroy ranked 46. Of the 205 Democrats, Earl ranked 105. He only got points for "position", nothing for "influence" or "legislation". But even for position, he ranked 312 out of 437.

I don't know if these rankings have any validity or not, but they're interesting.

Knowlegis did congressional power rankings based on power and ability to be effective in 2005. Pomeroy ranked 332 out of 437. Of the 53 house members first elected in 1992 and still in office, Pomeroy ranked 46. Of the 205 Democrats, Earl ranked 105. He only got points for "position", nothing for "influence" or "legislation". But even for position, he ranked 312 out of 437.

I don't know if these rankings have any validity or not, but they're interesting.

Thanks for bringing this up, lawkota. The ranking is pretty accurate (Conrad's a little low).

I worked on the Senate side of the Hill for a while. Pomeroy is a nobody. There aren't many reps on the radar, but he certainly isn't.

My old boss is number 4 on the Senate side.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing!

To be honest, I don't have anything for or against Pomeroy really. If he gets voted out, so be it. I just was under the impression (perhaps now wrongly so) that ND would lose if we went from a senior congressman to a junior congressman.

Unforunately the Republcians have put no body up that can beat Earl or Kent Conrad so you can basically say that Earl and Kent are going to be in the house and the Senate for some time to come. In other words Earl is still doing nothing. I couldn't even tell you who Conrad is running against in November, doubt I will even vote. So team ND will be in tack for the next for some time to come.

• 4 months later...

Did anybody know that this went to a full committee hearing a couple of weeks ago....it sure flew under my radar.

http://edworkforce.house.gov/hearings/109t...06/wl121506.htm

While UND continues to fight the good fight on the judicial side of things, our Illinois friends continue to carry the mail down the legislative path. There's so much good stuff in here, I don't even know where to begin. Our buddy Bernie Franklin chimes in as well. :ohmy:

http://edworkforce.house.gov/hearings/109t...06/wl121506.htm

There's so much good stuff in here, I don't even know where to begin. Our buddy Bernie Franklin chimes in as well. :ohmy:

Great fine! I've only had time to read half of the report to date but am pleased with what I've read so far. Bernie's 'report' is a joke! It was hilarious to read his 'exception' to the name and logo policy. It was obvious he was tripping over his tongue the whole time! Anyone with any intelligence will find his 'report' to be worthy only for lining the kitty litter box!!

Again, great fine and thanks for sharing Shawn-O!!