SiouxSports.com Forum

Grapes on HCiN, Friday night

sprig

Given the rants around message boards in the US concerning Canada not giving college players a chance to play in the WJC (taking major junior players first), it was interesting to hear Cherry's rant concerning all the NHL teams picking college players and not giving major junior players a chance. He specifically yapped about Lamouriello's college player lineup and draft picks as well as Minnesota wanting Minnesota players only. Interesting.

I watched Cherry during this bit as well. My take on it was that he wanted Canadian teams, such as Ottawa and Montreal to start selecting Canadian born players. He did use Lamouriello as an example as choosing American players, and the Wild selecting Minnesotan's. I didn't get the feeling that he was upset at the NHL as a whole, but rather the Canadian teams. Of course, it is Don Cherry, and he always seems to be upset with anything that's not Canadian. Calm down Don, the majority of NHL players are still Canadians. :)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i didn't get to see the piece that you all are talking about, but I can't see it as him slamming the americans, but trying to build up canadians. But we all know that he hates the euros and thinks that they are the worst thing for hockey. I have heard several rants on visors and stick work and he makes good points. The face shield wouldn't be needed if people weren't so careless with their sticks, which came about when face shields were put in place. He also blames the euros for the stickwork. I have always had a lot of respect for Don Cherry because he is an embassador for the game of hockey. You can disagree with his fighting policies, his hatred for the euro's or his love of the canadians, but he is all about the kids, all about the game, and all about the game being played the right way. I think he is good for the game of hockey in that he does say what most people in the booth are afraid to say. I don't believe that his s&!t coaching record means he doesn't know the game, i think it means he is unable to teach the style he wants to play, but overall, he is good for hockey, not just the NHL, albeit, somewhat disagreeable at times.

edit: I also think it's great that he gets after the millions of canadians watching about talking bad and not supporting the United States. I also love that he knows and states to them that we are the big brother, and we are the protector of Canada, and that no matter what they say, they know that they need us to survive as a country.

I watched Cherry during this bit as well. My take on it was that he wanted Canadian teams, such as Ottawa and Montreal to start selecting Canadian born players. He did use Lamouriello as an example as choosing American players, and the Wild selecting Minnesotan's. I didn't get the feeling that he was upset at the NHL as a whole, but rather the Canadian teams. Of course, it is Don Cherry, and he always seems to be upset with anything that's not Canadian. Calm down Don, the majority of NHL players are still Canadians. :)

I was a Boston Bruins fan in the late 60's & 70's...Bobby Orr was my idol... he was the only one who could shut Don Cherry up. They have exact opposite personalities.. but for some reason Bobby could calm down Cherry.

I considered myself a pretty big North Stars fan at the time but there was SO little promotion of the team back then it's no surprise there were attendance problems. I remember one day driving to work and hearing on the radio that it was opening day for the NS's, and I was surprised that it had crept on me. And I get the daily paper. Somehow I missed it.

Attendance wasn't a problem before Norm Sucks Green.

The Wild have been sold out EVERY home game they have ever played.

I agree that based on their performance on the ice, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I am not sure why they keep pulling people in while putting a sub par product on the ice year after year. Every other franchise in town gets ripped for not spending money on talent, but for reasons I don't understand, the Wild got a pass on this.

Don't worry. They are beginning to get ripped. I think many media outlets in town don't expect the Wild to spend any money on big name talent. They and I believe the fans will start to see the light that all the Wild care about is money. What are they, 24 million under the cap and they raised ticket prices? The conspiracy theory now is that they need to make a lot of money due to funding the X or something like that.

Say what you want about Don Cherry's antics, but he is a major supporter of the USA and the need for Canada as a country to support their neighbors, not only in the sporting venue, but also in the policy realm.

He took the Canadian fans to task for cheering for Russia against the U.S. in the World Junior tournament, and has always said that Canada should be supporting their neighbor with troops if necessary in foreign policy. He always points out what the U.S. has done and would do for Canada. Yes, he goes too far on HNIC, but he is paid to be a bit controversial. As far as fighting goes, there are many points that I agree with him, it sure cleans up the stickwork, and you don't see near the checking from behind hits that you see in college.

You blow enough hot air and eventually something will spill out that you will agree with. If not one thing, another. Whether he's paid to say it or not, he still says it. I just think he spews more crap than gold.

I don't think that Canada is in any danger of being invaded if the U.S. was to stop "protecting" it. Also, why is it so wrong for Canadians to talk bad about America, but you can talk down to them, and tell them how they "need" us?

Next time, do all of us a favor and leave your idiotic rants to yourself.

WOW. I guess that i didn't realize that i was talking down to canadians, nor did i think that i said anything where i needed to be called an idiot. I just wanna thank you for showing me the error in my ways, and from voicing my OPINION. damn united states and their freedom of speech policies and nobody told me thatonekid was the OPINION POLICE. Sorry my viewpoint isn't the same as the OPINION POLICE. Hey, Orson, can you send me a copy of "The Official Policies of the Opinion Police" so I can guide my posts and opinions in the right direction so as to not have you calling me an idiot. Thank you.

I really like Don Cherry. The best thing about the playoffs is that you get Coaches Corner pretty much every night. I just wish I could still watch CBC.

I think he's probably wrong with his remarks here though. According to their website, the Wild only have 3 Minnesotans in their entire organization. Erik Westrum, who spent the majority of the season in the AHL, A.J. Thelen, who spent most of the season in the WHL, and Mike Erickson, who plays at Western Michigan now, and will never play for the Wild. If anything, I think the Wild need to change philosophies and management and start going after more local, American born players.

You can't complain about the Devils either because it's hard to argue with the success they've had over the past decade. If anything, it shows that more teams should be focusing on college kids.

The World Juniors thing works both ways. A few Canadian kids that play college hockey don't make the Canadian squad because they play in the US, and a few American kids that play major junior don't make the US team because they play major junior.

It doesn't matter that the CHL still produces more NHL talent than D-I. Don Cherry won't be satisfied unless the CHL is producing all the talent like back in the early days of hockey. Cherry represents the Canadian monopolistic view of hockey, which says that "only Canada should have hockey because Canadians invented it". Well, the people in this group better get used to seeing more Americans and (gasp!) Europeans in the NHL, because that trend isn't going anywhere.

I acutally like Don Cherry, his entertaining style of commentary makes it worth watching HNIC. He's a lot better than Kelley Hrudey (enough of "Behind the Mask" already!). I just don't like his narrow-minded, xenophobic views on hockey at all levels.

Did you notice the last few weeks of this season? Tickets sold is one thing...actual fans in the seats? Totally another.

with the way the owners handled the off-season spending with all the free agents on the market, do you honestly think that they care if the fans show up as long as they've paid for their ticket?? I don't agree with it, but I'm sure they don't care. They are all about the almighty dollar. Put the shi!!ist team on the ice for the least amount of money allowed by the league, crap all over their superstar, and take the money of all the unsuspecting minnesotans because we know they love hockey and are willing to pay most anything to see a game. PROFIT$ PROFIT$ PROFIT$

The Wild have been sold out EVERY home game they have ever played.

This is an untrue statement. I'm trying to find the facts somewhere to back it up, but I can vividly recall the news media mentioning the Wild streak of sell-outs coming to an end a while back. I can't recall, though, if it was the 2003-2004 season or this past season.

with the way the owners handled the off-season spending with all the free agents on the market, do you honestly think that they care if the fans show up as long as they've paid for their ticket?? I don't agree with it, but I'm sure they don't care. They are all about the almighty dollar. Put the shi!!ist team on the ice for the least amount of money allowed by the league, crap all over their superstar, and take the money of all the unsuspecting minnesotans because we know they love hockey and are willing to pay most anything to see a game. PROFIT$ PROFIT$ PROFIT$

I agree 100%. When the Wild stop selling out games, then they will be forced to put a better product on the ice. Until then, who cares? The team is a loser, but most of the games are sold-out. It's a win-win situation for ownership.

This is an untrue statement.

They have SOLD out EVERY home game ever played. How many people actually are in the seats is a different deal......but that is true of all sports.

As long as they continue to SELL every seat, there is no real incentive for them to spend the money they are now stuffing into their bank accounts.

The real problem is, if you are a season ticket holder, and decide to give up your seats because the team and the games suck, there are 5,000 people on the waiting list to scoop those tickets up.

And , IF they ever decide to actually try and make the team competetive, and you want to buy tickets again, you go back to the end of the waiting list. So very few people are willing to give up the tickets.

Kind of a Catch-22, which works very well for the owners.

They have SOLD out EVERY home game ever played.

Re-read my post above. I recall it being mentioned in the local media that a game against the Kings (either 2003-2004 or this past season) that was the first non sell-out. I'm hunting for the proof to back it up, but they don't exactly advertise games not sold out on www.wild.com.

I agree 100%. When the Wild stop selling out games, then they will be forced to put a better product on the ice. Until then, who cares? The team is a loser, but most of the games are sold-out. It's a win-win situation for ownership.

I have only been to one game since the X opened, and it was a good game (they played columbus, so it was two crappy teams squaring off, thus entertaining and competitive). The only reason i went was the see the building and walk around before and after.(oh, and the tickets were free). I have no respect for what the owners are doing and could not bring myself to spend my hard earned money on that product. If i wanted to pay 100 bucks to watch most teams AHL talent (gaby and rolston and manny aside) i would. If i want to spend 100 bucks to watch some of the elite hockey players in the world from the nosebleed seats, i would go somewhere I knew my 100 bucks is going right back to bring in the best talent they can afford. Not just lining the pockets of the owners.

They have SOLD out EVERY home game ever played. How many people actually are in the seats is a different deal......but that is true of all sports.

As long as they continue to SELL every seat, there is no real incentive for them to spend the money they are now stuffing into their bank accounts.

The real problem is, if you are a season ticket holder, and decide to give up your seats because the team and the games suck, there are 5,000 people on the waiting list to scoop those tickets up.

And , IF they ever decide to actually try and make the team competetive, and you want to buy tickets again, you go back to the end of the waiting list. So very few people are willing to give up the tickets.

Kind of a Catch-22, which works very well for the owners.

Southernmn, I stand corrected. I had e-mailed a friend of mine who discussed attendance this season with me. He is a season ticket holder and according to him, the streak is indeed alive and well. I do know the difference between tickets sold and actual attendance, though.

You are correct on the catch-22 as well. Did you notice the announcement of another ticket price hike for next season? Yikes.

Southernmn, I stand corrected. I had e-mailed a friend of mine who discussed attendance this season with me. He is a season ticket holder and according to him, the streak is indeed alive and well. I do know the difference between tickets sold and actual attendance, though.

You are correct on the catch-22 as well. Did you notice the announcement of another ticket price hike for next season? Yikes.

And everyone will gladly send their send their money in for tickets AGAIN, and management will spend very little of it on talent AGAIN, give us the old crap about building "for the future" AGAIN, and the team will score 1.5 goals a game AGAIN next year.

That's why I rarely go to Wild games, even when the company tickets are offered to me. Not even worth my time or effort.

College hockey is a whole different story........can watch that all day, every day !!

And everyone will gladly send their send their money in for tickets agian, and management will spend very little of it on talent AGAIN, give us the old crap about building "for the future", and score 1.5 goals a game again next year.

That's why I raraely go to Wild games, even when the company tickets are offered to me. Not even worth my time or effort.

College hockey is a whole different story........can watch that all day, every day !!

My apologies on doubting your facts.

Yep, management has it down pat...sucky season, call up a few locals at the end of the season for the hometown fans who remember the college boys gone pro (insert Travis Roche, Eric Westrum, and others here), and put your head in the sand and spend no money because if fans will come to watch mediocre talent, what's the problem?

I had free "on the ice" tickets to the Red Wings game earlier this year. $200 face value for each ticket. I took my four year old son and still somehow managed to spend $40-$50 in drinks and concessions alone.

My apologies on doubting your facts.

Yep, management has it down pat...sucky season, call up a few locals at the end of the season for the hometown fans who remember the college boys gone pro (insert Travis Roche, Eric Westrum, and others here), and put your head in the sand and spend no money because if fans will come to watch mediocre talent, what's the problem?

I had free "on the ice" tickets to the Red Wings game earlier this year. $200 face value for each ticket. I took my four year old son and still somehow managed to spend $40-$50 in drinks and concessions alone.

Don't forget the $20 to park............ :)

What makes you think that when the games stop selling out, Wild management will then start spending money in hopes of the games selling out again? Seems to me that they'll just use the games not selling out as an excuse to not spend money. "Well if the fans aren't going to support the team, why should we risk spending alot of money?" The games sell out so the Wild have no reason, other then winning which obviously isn't important to them, to spend money or the games don't sell out so the Wild have an excuse not to spend money. Either way the fans take it up the backside.

What makes you think that when the games stop selling out, Wild management will then start spending money in hopes of the games selling out again? Seems to me that they'll just use the games not selling out as an excuse to not spend money. "Well if the fans aren't going to support the team, why should we risk spending alot of money?" The games sell out so the Wild have no reason, other then winning which obviously isn't important to them, to spend money or the games don't sell out so the Wild have an excuse not to spend money. Either way the fans take it up the backside.

Long live King Diggler! You're totally right...it's a win-win for management. The fans support a loser, so why pay money to build a winner, but when fans stop showing up, management's excuse is "well, if they won't spend money, we can afford to get better players." Lose-lose situation for the fans.

Speaking of the NHL, I'm a Red Wings fan and obviously disappointed that I waited up until almost 1:45 am to see Edmonton win in double OT last night, but is it just me or is anyone else tired of watching Edmonton revert immediately back to the neutral zone trap. ZZZZZ.

Speaking of the NHL, I'm a Red Wings fan and obviously disappointed that I waited up until almost 1:45 am to see Edmonton win in double OT last night, but is it just me or is anyone else tired of watching Edmonton revert immediately back to the neutral zone trap. ZZZZZ.

Against a franchise, Detroit, that re-introduced the left wing lock over the last decade. This Oiler fan will take the win any way he can.

This is an untrue statement. I'm trying to find the facts somewhere to back it up, but I can vividly recall the news media mentioning the Wild streak of sell-outs coming to an end a while back. I can't recall, though, if it was the 2003-2004 season or this past season.

If I am not mistaken there is a number of seat sold that they consider a sell out but you still get tickets by calling the number they list during broadcasts. Its sounds like a playing with numbers.