SiouxSports.com Forum

Next Season

crosby_87

What are some takes on next season? I haven't really thought about lines too much. Should Toews and Oshie be split up or put on the same line. I think they will be split up like Stafford and Zajac were this year. As for defensive pairings, what do you guys think? Will LaPoint or Marto be brought in next year. Don't know. Opinions? Line combinations? Fire away.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And does anyone have a unofficial schedule for next year yet?

I haven't seen the entire schedule yet, but from what Hakstol said on the last Coaches Show, we will have Manitoba for the season exhibition opener, then have Quinnipiac coming to the Ralph to open the regular season.

What are some takes on next season? I haven't really thought about lines too much. Should Toews and Oshie be split up or put on the same line. I think they will be split up like Stafford and Zajac were this year. As for defensive pairings, what do you guys think? Will LaPoint or Marto be brought in next year. Don't know. Opinions? Line combinations? Fire away.

i hope to high heaven they dont bring marto and lapointe in this year. we need every single one of those juniors.(well,seniors for 06-07) i'm going to be ticked if we have to sit out another senior. Marvin was enough sitting, for 4 years at that!

My picks for line next year

Duncan-Toews-Porter

Kozek-Oshie-Spirko

Fabian-Kaip-Zajac

Miller-Watkins-Vanvelde

defensive pairings

Lee-Chorney

Bina-Jones

Finley-Radke

Drop the puck :sad:

Haha ummm I think you probably forgot about Michael Forney. He's probably the best recruit we have coming next year.

My predictions (* are freshmen) for some game in October or November:

Duncan-Toews-Kozek

Watkins-Oshie-Zajac*

Genoway*-Kaip-Miller

Porter-Fabian-VandeVelde*

Chorney-Lee

Jones-Finley

Radke-Bina

Lamoureux and TBD*

First PK --

Watkins/Porter/Jones/Finley

Second PK --

Kaip/Oshie/Chorney/Lee

First PP --

Chorney/Lee/Duncan/Toews/Kozek

Second PP --

Bina/Radke/Oshie/Porter/Watkins

Scratches --

Alexander, Foyt, Martens, Walski, Marto*, magical-mystery walk-on forward or late signee*

Yes, I have them only bringing in Zajac, Genoway, VandeVelde, Marto, a TBD goalie, and a walk-on/late signee.

I see them letting LaPoint, Trupp, and Forney play the year in juniors. Maybe Trupp becomes the "magical-mystery" forward and plays, but I doubt it.

And yes, I list no Parise, Stafford, or Spirko.

Where will Parise, Stafford, and Spirko play next year then if its not for UND?

Parise-Unknown

Stafford-Buffalo or their farm club

Spirko-Slovakian pro league

This is where they would play. I don't think Spirko will be leaving though. I do think the other two will.

My predictions (* are freshmen) for some game in October or November:

Lamoureux and TBD*

Scratches --

Alexander, Foyt, Martens, Walski, Marto*, magical-mystery walk-on forward or late signee*

Yes, I have them only bringing in Zajac, Genoway, VandeVelde, Marto, a TBD goalie, and a walk-on/late signee.

Why wouldn't Walski stay? If Parise is gone, wouldn't Lamoureux and him split time? Maybe not split, but don't you think he'd get some playing time? I'm only asking, because I have no idea why he would be here if there wasn't a chance of him playing.

Hakstol did a great job of getting the right line pairings at the end of the year. We will have to see who clicks with who, etc. We also need to think about playmaker & goalscorer and corner digger forward combos. Of course we are very fortunate and have guys like Oshie and Toews who can do all three. I have posted before my thoughts. Let's just start with the players and facts we know. I will limit this post to forwards for now. The last 4 points in parenthesis will be my 1-10 rankings on: playmaking, scoring, physicality and intangibles. Obviously I haven't seen the new recruits, so they will be excluded:

1. Oshie. Dynamic forward who plays the whole rink, plays the body, can dance around guys, can shoot the puck and make unbelievable passes. Worked well with last year: Zajac :sad: Toews, Porter, Spirko. Needs someone who can keep up with his energy level. (10,10,10,10)

2. Toews. Most upside of any player in the WCHA. Great skill, playmaker and goal scorer of tier 1 ability. Physical when needed. Worked well with: Stafford ??? and Duncan. Did ok with Porter and Oshie. Needs someone who can finish and see the openings. (10,10, 7,9)

3. Duncan. Terrific shooter with skill. Seems to be in the right place all the time. Works well with: Stafford :( and Toews. Needs someone to get him the puck. Lacks size. (9, 10, 4, 7)

4. Spirko. Shifty dangler with good skill. Makes some sick moves. Can play with almost anyone and make the line complete. Not physical, so needs to play on a line with more physical players. (9,8,4,8)

5. Porter. Aggressive, will play the body and make good offensive and defensive decisions. Can play any role. Works well with everyone, demonstrated with Oshie early. (7,6,10,9)

6. Kozek. We will see a lot more out of this 2nd round draft pick if given a scoring role. Can really shoot the puck. ok size, ok playmaking. I'd like to see him on an off wing on one of the top two lines. (6,6,6,6)

7. Watkins. Can play the body and play in the offensive zone. Similar to Kozek, but seems to like to hit a little more. (6,6,8,6)

8. Fabian. Grinder with good hockey sense and leadership. I expect to see him leading some youngsters on the cycle (as much as I despise it). (4,4,8,8)

9. Kaip. Grinder who learned to score in the playoff run. Packs a lunch for work and just does his job. (3,3,8,6)

10. Vandevelde. Good size. Tore up the MN tourney two years ago. Not a huge year in USHL. I'd like to see him show that Moorhead touch again. I'd try and put him on a line with some play makers.

11. Forney. A probable late first, early second round pick. Good size and playmaking. Got hurt too early in the MN tourney for me to see what he is all about. The NHL is hot on him though, which is good enough for me.

12. Zajac. Good numbers in Salmon Arm...what a pipeline we've developed. Travis's little bro, if he plays like travis he will be a great addition, and some second liners will need to be looking over their shoulders. Good size, playmaking and goal scoring.

I hate to say it to the boys who saw limited action, but they have their work cut out for them to dress. I wish them all luck and appreciate their efforts.

Here is how I would set the lines:

scoring 1: Porter, Oshie and Spirko.

Tj and Chris worked well together. Tj and Sparky worked well together. Porter's leadership, Porter and Oshies physicality, Sparky and Oshie's explosiveness offensively. This line's parts have had chemistry, will wake up the team by starting the game hitting, and will undoubtedly catch a few team's napping at the drop of the puck. All 3 guys will have 40+ points and TJ will hit 30 goals. Can skate with any first line and can knock around any first line.

scoring 2: Forney, Toews, Duncan.

Jonny and Ryan showed that they can play great together. Put the rookie with the reputation on this line and see if it gives Jonny another option out there.

checking: Fabian, Kaip, Vandevelde.

I like this lines ability to hit, move the puck and contribute with some goals. Goals will be bonuses.

line 4: Watkins, Zajac, Kozek. I think this line is the one that will kill teams. The BC connection. I think this fourth line has as much talent as most team's first lines. This role will let these guys show off their offensive skills against opponents weaker lines.

My two cents for what its worth. I really like the first line, and I believe that you have to keep Toews and Duncan together. I am not sure about the last two, as I haven't seen Zajac or Vandy or Forney recently. I don't like stacking a line, I prefer balancing them out. I like not putting two frosh's on the same line.

Hakstol did a great job of getting the right line pairings at the end of the year. We will have to see who clicks with who, etc. We also need to think about playmaker & goalscorer and corner digger forward combos. Of course we are very fortunate and have guys like Oshie and Toews who can do all three. I have posted before my thoughts. Let's just start with the players and facts we know. I will limit this post to forwards for now. The last 4 points in parenthesis will be my 1-10 rankings on: playmaking, scoring, physicality and intangibles. Obviously I haven't seen the new recruits, so they will be excluded:

1. Oshie. Dynamic forward who plays the whole rink, plays the body, can dance around guys, can shoot the puck and make unbelievable passes. Worked well with last year: Zajac :sad: Toews, Porter, Spirko. Needs someone who can keep up with his energy level. (10,10,10,10)

2. Toews. Most upside of any player in the WCHA. Great skill, playmaker and goal scorer of tier 1 ability. Physical when needed. Worked well with: Stafford ??? and Duncan. Did ok with Porter and Oshie. Needs someone who can finish and see the openings. (10,10, 7,9)

3. Duncan. Terrific shooter with skill. Seems to be in the right place all the time. Works well with: Stafford :( and Toews. Needs someone to get him the puck. Lacks size. (9, 10, 4, 7)

4. Spirko. Shifty dangler with good skill. Makes some sick moves. Can play with almost anyone and make the line complete. Not physical, so needs to play on a line with more physical players. (9,8,4,8)

5. Porter. Aggressive, will play the body and make good offensive and defensive decisions. Can play any role. Works well with everyone, demonstrated with Oshie early. (7,6,10,9)

6. Kozek. We will see a lot more out of this 2nd round draft pick if given a scoring role. Can really shoot the puck. ok size, ok playmaking. I'd like to see him on an off wing on one of the top two lines. (6,6,6,6)

7. Watkins. Can play the body and play in the offensive zone. Similar to Kozek, but seems to like to hit a little more. (6,6,8,6)

8. Fabian. Grinder with good hockey sense and leadership. I expect to see him leading some youngsters on the cycle (as much as I despise it). (4,4,8,8)

9. Kaip. Grinder who learned to score in the playoff run. Packs a lunch for work and just does his job. (3,3,8,6)

10. Vandevelde. Good size. Tore up the MN tourney two years ago. Not a huge year in USHL. I'd like to see him show that Moorhead touch again. I'd try and put him on a line with some play makers.

11. Forney. A probable late first, early second round pick. Good size and playmaking. Got hurt too early in the MN tourney for me to see what he is all about. The NHL is hot on him though, which is good enough for me.

12. Zajac. Good numbers in Salmon Arm...what a pipeline we've developed. Travis's little bro, if he plays like travis he will be a great addition, and some second liners will need to be looking over their shoulders. Good size, playmaking and goal scoring.

I hate to say it to the boys who saw limited action, but they have their work cut out for them to dress. I wish them all luck and appreciate their efforts.

Here is how I would set the lines:

scoring 1: Porter, Oshie and Spirko.

Tj and Chris worked well together. Tj and Sparky worked well together. Porter's leadership, Porter and Oshies physicality, Sparky and Oshie's explosiveness offensively. This line's parts have had chemistry, will wake up the team by starting the game hitting, and will undoubtedly catch a few team's napping at the drop of the puck. All 3 guys will have 40+ points and TJ will hit 30 goals. Can skate with any first line and can knock around any first line.

scoring 2: Forney, Toews, Duncan.

Jonny and Ryan showed that they can play great together. Put the rookie with the reputation on this line and see if it gives Jonny another option out there.

checking: Fabian, Kaip, Vandevelde.

I like this lines ability to hit, move the puck and contribute with some goals. Goals will be bonuses.

line 4: Watkins, Zajac, Kozek. I think this line is the one that will kill teams. The BC connection. I think this fourth line has as much talent as most team's first lines. This role will let these guys show off their offensive skills against opponents weaker lines.

My two cents for what its worth. I really like the first line, and I believe that you have to keep Toews and Duncan together. I am not sure about the last two, as I haven't seen Zajac or Vandy or Forney recently. I don't like stacking a line, I prefer balancing them out. I like not putting two frosh's on the same line.

Great work, great read. I just want to point out what I think on some of the things. First, you ripped off Kozek by giving him a 6 on physicality. He was one of the hardest hitters all year, I would have given him a 9. Love your 4th line there. This line would be a high scoring, huge hitting, very very fast line. The only thing I have questions on is if the coaches will give Kozek a look on one of the scoring lines. I wouldn't mind switchting Porter and Kozek. I think Kozek has more offensive skills then Porter, but Porter is one of the hardest workers I have ever seen. I would give Porter about a 4 in the Playmaking department. Hakstol is going to have a tough job putting these lines together and get the proper mix of skill and hitting. I am very excited for the upcoming season. I would have the 3rd line as Fabian-Watkins-Kaip and a 4th line of Vande Velde-Zajac-Porter. I think those look about right.