SiouxSports.com Forum

Red River flooding

PCM

I've had some family and friends e-mail me about the flooding they've been hearing about in the Red River Valley. If the river crests as forecast, it shouldn't present any great problems for Grand Forks. Here's a good link from the National Weather Service that shows what's happening and what's expected to happen.

Just to give people an idea of what the river looks like, I took some pictures on Sunday afternoon. They're probably already out of date by now.

Sorlie Bridge looking southwest from downtown East Grand Forks

Looking up the river just north of the Sorlie Bridge on the East Grand Forks side

Sorlie Bridge looking from East Grand Forks to downtown Grand Forks

Looking from the east bank of the Red River toward downtown Grand Forks

Looking from the west side of Kennedy Bridge toward East Grand Forks

The west bank of the Red River looking north off Kennedy Bridge

Building up the dike on the west bank of the Red River just north of Kennedy Bridge

I've had some family and friends e-mail me about the flooding they've been hearing about in the Red River Valley. If the river crests as forecast, it shouldn't present any great problems for Grand Forks. Here's a good link from the National Weather Service that shows what's happening and what's expected to happen.

Just to give people an idea of what the river looks like, I took some pictures on Sunday afternoon. They're probably already out of date by now.

Sorlie Bridge looking southwest from downtown East Grand Forks

Looking up the river just north of the Sorlie Bridge on the East Grand Forks side

Sorlie Bridge looking from East Grand Forks to downtown Grand Forks

Looking from the east bank of the Red River toward downtown Grand Forks

Looking from the west side of Kennedy Bridge toward East Grand Forks

The west bank of the Red River looking north off Kennedy Bridge

Building up the dike on the west bank of the Red River just north of Kennedy Bridge

I've been through enough floods up in that area. I'm glad to be away from it at this point. But I really do feel for all of the people who are going through it.

My mom just talked to a friend who lives a block from the river in Moorhead. She said they were back in 1997-mode. Piles of sand, trucks full of sandbags, and groups of people all helping each other build sandbag walls to protect your homes. It's a great thing to see.

Thanks for the pics, PCM. It helps to understand the severity of the situation. Back in 1997, I was working in the western US and flew into GF the weekend the dikes broke. The perspective you get from overhead is unbelievable. There must be a UND avaition student that can take along a digital camera on a training flight.

Here's a Tom Dennis column on current and future Red River flooding. It's quite disconcerting that the river will get to the 46-48 foot range despite a winter in which we didn't have a tremendous amount of snow.

How much snow we get throughout the course of a winter doesn't always mean much. We got a lot of snow late in the winter that contained a great deal of moisture. It melted suddenly and the snowmelt was accompanied by heavy rainfall. Thus, we have flooding.

There have been other winters during which we received much more snow, but because of the manner in which it melted and a lack of precipitation accompanying the snowmelt, flooding wasn't as severe as this spring. It all depends on the timing of events.

What's really crazy is that the river didn't even spill it's banks until early Friday morning. At least it didn't seem out on Thursday night. Now 3 days later it's at the top of the bridge.

How's the English Coulee diversion working that is on your way to the airport? I spent enough time working on the sun of gun that it better be getting used.

It's on the news quite a bit in the Cities.

How much snow we get throughout the course of a winter doesn't always mean much. We got a lot of snow late in the winter that contained a great deal of moisture. It melted suddenly and the snowmelt was accompanied by heavy rainfall. Thus, we have flooding.

There have been other winters during which we received much more snow, but because of the manner in which it melted and a lack of precipitation accompanying the snowmelt, flooding wasn't as severe as this spring. It all depends on the timing of events.

Two other factors that add to the problem. We had plenty of moisture last fall so the soil was pretty saturated already. Also, I think they got more snow in the southern part of the valley than we did. It seemed like several storms missed us but hit Fargo and south.

Two other factors that add to the problem. We had plenty of moisture last fall so the soil was pretty saturated already. Also, I think they got more snow in the southern part of the valley than we did. It seemed like several storms missed us but hit Fargo and south.

Actually we missed most of the late snow that you got up in Grand Forks. The snowpack in GF was quite a bit higher than in Fargo the week of the Regionals. This flood has come on so fast it is almost rediculous. Last Tuesday there was significant snow in the fields surounding F-M and the rivers streams and coulies were full, but not overflowing. Last Wednesday the temp hit 52 and the wind was blowing. By thursday evenings all hell had broke loose as every stream and river was flooding. It is amazing how fast the water came up. The Red was rising 4-5 feet per day late last week. :lol:

Last week Monday there was less than a 50% chance that the Red would crest at over 30 ft. in Fargo. Tonight we are supposed to see a crest of 37.5, 3rd highest in 100 years!! Let's just pray for dry weather for the next couple of weeks.

Good luck to everyone in Grand Forks. At least both cities are better prepared for this.

The NWS Flood Forecast:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=fgf

North Dakota river gauges:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nd/nwis/current/?type=flow

Minnesota river gauges:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/mn/nwis/rt

US Army Corps of Engineers Dams in the RRV:

http://www.mvp-wc.usace.army.mil/projects/

The weather forecast:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/fgf/

From the sounds of things, rain/snow anywhere in the Valley is the last thing any of you guys want to hear. Stay dry guys.

It would have to be a lot of rain before I started to worry about Grand Forks. Fargo, however, is another matter. :lol:

Hope all of you out in North Dakota and Minnesota are OK. You have too much water and we don't have enough here in New Jersey. We just had a Winter with almost no snow or rain. The woods have been a tinderbox until today which is our first full day of rain since the Fall. Sounds like many people out your way are at least prepared when this type of thing happens.

Hope all of you out in North Dakota and Minnesota are OK. You have too much water and we don't have enough here in New Jersey. We just had a Winter with almost no snow or rain. The woods have been a tinderbox until today which is our first full day of rain since the Fall. Sounds like many people out your way are at least prepared when this type of thing happens.

Thank you for your thoughts, they are much appreciated. There are a lot of people out here having a lot of issues, and if they see this, they would be very grateful.... Hope everything goes well for yall in New Jersey!!!

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!