SiouxSports.com Forum

Early outs

GBpakrzz

This article seems to be optimistic, JPar will be back next year, it sounds like Zajac too.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/14283918.htm

quotes are from right after they lost, that's what they are supposed to say. Not many players pull a travis roche any more, they at least have the respect to get back home before they do anything...

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case anyone else was wondering, think I found my answer at nhl.com.

How much can unsigned players from the 2003 and 2004 Entry Drafts contract for?

Clubs may sign 2004 draftees to a maximum salary of $984,200 and 2003 draftees to a maximum salary of $942,400. These salaries are based on a 24% rollback to the maximum salary under the previous CBA for the players' respective draft years. Additionally, draftees from prior years may negotiate for a signing bonus not to exceed 30% of his maximum annual compensation. Performance bonuses may be negotiated as per new CBA rules.

This tells me that all the '03 and '04 picks have to give up a LOT to return to school. The '05 and later picks will likely get the same money later and have the same basic choice as underclassmen have had traditionally.

That separates Zajac, Stafford, Smaby, Goligoski, Chucko and Wheeler from the rest. I would be surprised if any of them return, and if they do it won't be their choice.

The choice facing the rest of the '05 and future '06 picks is far less clear. Like Jack Johnson, many of them may decide they are developing nicely in college and since their money won't be less if they wait another year they will return.

One question. From the NHL team's standpoint, why would they want to sign any of these players this year if they could save all that bonus money by signing them next season? The players may want to sign to get the bigger bonus but if the team is cheap and wants to save money wouldn't it make sense to sign them after next season. ;)

One question. From the NHL team's standpoint, why would they want to sign any of these players this year if they could save all that bonus money by signing them next season? The players may want to sign to get the bigger bonus but if the team is cheap and wants to save money wouldn't it make sense to sign them after next season. ;)

That will all get factored into the negotiations. The NHL teams don't want to burn bridges with the players and end up will little chance of getting them for their prime years 25-28.

I doubt if all the guys will get the 30% bonus, but I don't see how they won't get far stronger offers this year than next. Their play next year is sadly basically irrelavent.

That will all get factored into the negotiations. The NHL teams don't want to burn bridges with the players and end up will little chance of getting them for their prime years 25-28.

I doubt if all the guys will get the 30% bonus, but I don't see how they won't get far stronger offers this year than next. Their play next year is sadly basically irrelavent.

And then there's the whole graduating class deal...if a drafted player isn't signed by, I think it's August, of the year they graduate, the player becomes a free agent and can shop himself around the league. So this year seems to be sort of a triple witching hour for players like both Stafford and Smaby, and it would appear they are in the driver's seat. :)

Did anyone happen to watch the KVLY 10:00 PM news sports report last evening? At the end of the Sioux-BC game report it was stated that Travis Zajac was (or has?) signed an NHL contract. I've not seen it reported on any other media site, so it appears was stated in error. My apologies ahead of time for stirring the speculation pot any more than it needs to be. The trust, but validate philosophy applies and the official release is the one that counts with any of these potential transactions.

And then there's the whole graduating class deal...if a drafted player isn't signed by, I think it's August, of the year they graduate, the player becomes a free agent and can shop himself around the league. So this year seems to be sort of a triple witching hour for players like both Stafford and Smaby, and it would appear they are in the driver's seat. :)

I guess I don't see why that is such a big deal. Most of the time, when a drafted senior is good enough to get signed by the team, he's usually signed within a few weeks of the NCAA season ending. That would be WELL before August and before the NHL draft even! So, unless the signing bonus goes down (which I'm not saying it doesn't because it has already been pointed out that in some cases, it does/will), I don't think returning for the senior season is going to be all that harmful to the player or the team unless the team sees a definite need for the player and the player sees that his stock has never been higher/he's ready for the next level.

This may have been discussed earlier but what kind of players union actually negotiates salary cuts in a new CBA??? Seems to me the object is to continue to increase the benefits to the players, or at least keep them the same. Is pro hockey in that bad financial shape that players are agreeing to negotiated pay cuts in the new CBA?

Also, I assume that signing bonus' are the only guaranteed money that a player gets. In other words, can a player make up lost signing bonus by increasing salary and have that salary increase guaranteed? If not, I agree that we will see a lot of those players leave early to take the guaranteed money.

In a perfect world the decision should be based upon whether a player is ready for the next level, not whether waiting a year will cost them money. Not that it would matter for Stafford, Smaby and Zajac, all three of whom I think are ready. Sadly, I don't see any of them back next year. I hope I'm wrong.

Bergen RecordZajac on the way?

The Devils may get some offensive help when North Dakota is finished in the NCAA Frozen Four. Fighting Sioux sophomore center Travis Zajac, the Devils' first-round pick in 2004, has told teammates that he wants to sign with the Devils after this season.

This is according to the Bergen Record, a New Jersey newspaper. I mean whatever, did we have a plant from the Bergen Record in our lockeroom this season. I hate this time of year. You never know who you can trust anymore.

Edited by Goon

This may have been discussed earlier but what kind of players union actually negotiates salary cuts in a new CBA??? Seems to me the object is to continue to increase the benefits to the players, or at least keep them the same. Is pro hockey in that bad financial shape that players are agreeing to negotiated pay cuts in the new CBA?

I don't think it was a matter of the players' union negotiating a cut per se but being stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm sure there's somone more qualified to comment, but from my understanding that during the NHL lockout the owners basically forced the union's hand and said they're not going operational until the players made major concessions.

I don't think it was a matter of the players' union negotiating a cut per se but being stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm sure there's somone more qualified to comment, but from my understanding that during the NHL lockout the owners basically forced the union's hand and said they're not going operational until the players made major concessions.

Basically Slap Shot is right, the Players took it in the shorts (you know what we mean family show) when they signed their latest CBA. Funny this is that if the players had signed the CBA offered in Feb of 2004 they would have had more. This is why they players discarded their player rep shortly after the CBA was signed.

Bergen RecordZajac on the way?

This is according to the Bergen Record, a New Jersey newspaper. I mean whatever, did we have a plant from the Bergen Record in our lockeroom this season. I hate this time of year. You never know who you can trust anymore.

More on Zajac, this time from the Winnipeg Sun

"My goal, obviously, is to play professional hockey," Zajac was saying yesterday. "But any time your brother can come and play with you, it would be kind of cool."

Driving back home from Grand Forks yesterday, Zajac had mixed feelings about the way his season ended.

His young team, also boasting 17-year-old Winnipeg sensation Jonathan Toews, showed plenty of promise, but lost to Boston College in Thursday's Frozen Four semifinal.

"At the beginning of the year, a lot of people counted us out because of our inexperience," Zajac said. "I'd like to come back and win a championship."

I haven't seen anyone comment about this yet, but seeing Stafford skate on Thursday raised some doubts in my mind about the current health of his knee. There were several times when it appeared to tried to get his body to respond in a particular way, and it didn't go well. Just appeared that things weren't working as he would expect them to. That might play into whether or not he signs, depending upon the true status of the knee. He obviously made some great moves during the game, but there were other times that just did not appear to be right.

Just wait and see.

I haven't seen anyone comment about this yet, but seeing Stafford skate on Thursday raised some doubts in my mind about the current health of his knee. There were several times when it appeared to tried to get his body to respond in a particular way, and it didn't go well. Just appeared that things weren't working as he would expect them to. That might play into whether or not he signs, depending upon the true status of the knee. He obviously made some great moves during the game, but there were other times that just did not appear to be right.

Just wait and see.

not meaning to wish pain on him, but i hope his knee takes a while to get back to normal...

Basically Slap Shot is right, the Players took it in the shorts (you know what we mean family show) when they signed their latest CBA. Funny this is that if the players had signed the CBA offered in Feb of 2004 they would have had more. This is why they players discarded their player rep shortly after the CBA was signed.

Ahhh, the George Costanza school of negotiation. Hold out for less money.

Just wait and see.

I noticed the same thing in the regional. I think Drew came back from his injury too soon.

Sr defenseman Andy Greene of Miami just signed with the NJ Devils. Now here is a guy that made all four years even under the new NHL CBA. I know he probably had pressure to leave in 2004.

gp g a p pim

2002-03 Miami CCHA 41 4 19 23 - 64

2003-04 Miami CCHA 41 7 19 26 - 78

2004-05 Miami CCHA 38 7 27 34 - 66

2005-06 Miami CCHA 39 9 22 31 - 48

I noticed the same thing in the regional. I think Drew came back from his injury too soon.

He was held out for many shifts and the PK with Zajac in the regionals when the Sioux had the lead, obviously not 100%.

Was hard to tell on Thursday, since Thorne had names so screwed up, when he happened to get a pronunciation right, it was often the wrong player. A very bad outing for him, would think the professionals would do a little bit of study ahead to have a clue.

He was held out for many shifts and the PK with Zajac in the regionals when the Sioux had the lead, obviously not 100%.

Was hard to tell on Thursday, since Thorne had names so screwed up, when he happened to get a pronunciation right, it was often the wrong player. A very bad outing for him, would think the professionals would do a little bit of study ahead to have a clue.

Drew didn't look all the way healed yet, but i suppose he thought that he was ready to be back when he came back. The announcers never have a clue, they couldn't pronounce anything last year either.

Drew didn't look all the way healed yet, but i suppose he thought that he was ready to be back when he came back. The announcers never have a clue, they couldn't pronounce anything last year either.

At this time of year I don't expect too much from the announcers since they do a majority of their work with the NHL and I think it is a case of them not spending too much time researching the teams out west. It was apparent during the broadcast that the ESPN2 crew was pretty pro B.C. no big shock there either. I am sure they will be getting to know the UND pretty well in the upcoming seasons.

Sr defenseman Andy Greene of Miami just signed with the NJ Devils. Now here is a guy that made all four years even under the new NHL CBA. I know he probably had pressure to leave in 2004.

Greene was an undrafted free agent so he wasn't getting any pressure from a pro club that owned his rights.

The NHL financial situation was spiraling out of control. Most of the league was losing money and most of the Canadian teams could not compete because of the exchange rate. There was some talk of disbanding the league or losing a bunch of teams. When the owners locked out the players they said that most of the teams were losing less money by not playing than they would have if the teams were playing. (The Wild were one of the few teams making good money.) At that time the league did not have a salary cap and the players union said they would not accept it. About the time the owners were ready to cancel the season last year, the union offered a huge pay cut but still wouldn't accept the cap. The owners didn't go for it. Last summer the players proposed a cap that would have been close to the old pay scale. The owners wouldn't take that, but they settled on a number in between and the owners got the pay cut across the board.

More on Zajac, seems there are a few that think the NJ Devils should sign Travis. I am not sure why the people in NJ and various Devils fans are in such a hurry to get Travis signed, the kid isn't going to be playing in the NHL right away. It's a pipe dream by some. IMHO

Lou on signing or not signing Zajac

From the NJAlthough there has been talk, general manager/coach Lou Lamoriello said he isn't on the verge of signing University of North Dakota center Travis Zajac, the Devils' first pick (20th overall) in the 2004 entry draft. Not at the moment, but we'll see," Lamoriello said cautiously.

Here are my optimistic predictions. :lol:

Does anyone else think that Smaby might actually get more $$$ if he actually waited until after his senior year to sign as a free agent. He has really moved from a 2nd round draft pick to an elite D-men and TB isn't known for big contracts (it's also not a great hockey town).

Stafford is still growing as a player, so I hope he is back. The injury will not help him get top $$$.

Zajac will play with Darcy (and if that works we need to bring in Kelsey in 07).

Parise stays. Sparky stays to keep RwtDs happy.

Toews and Oshie stay for 1 more year (at least).

2006-2007, becomes a very fun season for the Fighting Sioux.

At least I like to convince myself of this.