SiouxSports.com Forum

Early outs

GBpakrzz

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Sagard. I think college hockey in general is going to lose many promising players that were or are to be drafted this year. The Sioux could lose Stafford,Parise,Smaby, Zajac, Toews, Oshie, Sparky, Lee, Chorney , and Finley among others. Some Gopher casualties could be Goligoski, Kessell, Wheeler and recruits Erik Johnson and Kyle Okposo. This list is just from the top of my head and certainly not exhaustive.

Each of these guys have individual situations but if the pro team with your rights offers close to the max with a $400,000 to $500,000 bonus, it will be hard to turn down. Next year the same max offer would only net about a $150,000 to $200,000 bonus, from what I have read. Thats an awful lot of money to leave on the table. I hope I'm wrong but I think many good college players will sign. ;)

I'm somehow doubting Spirko and JPar's departure. Spirko wasn't drafted and JPar's departure would only be more seriously taken if the Sioux had won it all.

The rest... we'll have to see.

I'm somehow doubting Spirko and JPar's departure. Spirko wasn't drafted and JPar's departure would only be more seriously taken if the Sioux had won it all.

The rest... we'll have to see.

Something makes me think Parise will leave. He's an undrafted free agent so he will definitely get some offers this offseason, there's no doubt about that. McKee was undrafted also and he had numerous offers to look at before he signed and Parise had a better season than McKee. Also, isn't he 24 years old? He might think it's time to start his pro career.

I think Stafford, Smaby, and Zajac are gone. It sounds like Toews and Oshie will have a decision to make also. Like you said we'll just have to wait and see. My gophers could still lose a couple more also.

IIRC, speculations regarding Spirko leaving weren't referring to him going to the NHL, but of his family needing him back in Slovakia for monetary reasons. Something like that anyway.

In another thread, sprig posted this link to a Herald article on some Sioux players who expect to be back next season (Parise and Zajac, most notably). It belongs here, too.

Irmen and Potulny said very similar things after their season ended. Parise and Zajac may come back, but what they said yesterday literally means nothing.

Irmen and Potulny said very similar things after their season ended. Parise and Zajac may come back, but what they said yesterday literally means nothing.

I agree. That's why I always say that I don't believe anything about who's staying or who's going until I see which players are on the ice in Sioux jerseys when the puck drops for the first game of the season.

But I do think the players themselves are the best source of information rather than "somebody told me." Until events prove otherwise, I'll take them at their word.

I agree. That's why I always say that I don't believe anything about who's staying or who's going until I see which players are on the ice in Sioux jerseys when the puck drops for the first game of the season.

But I do think the players themselves are the best source of information rather than "somebody told me." Until events prove otherwise, I'll take them at their word.

I'm sure they want to stay and that's why they say that. I believe they're being sincere. It's just tough to turn down the money when it's offered. With the rules, they can get around a $500,000 signing bonus now as opposed to only $170,000 next year. That's the reason Irmen left. He actually wanted to stay and play for the gophers next year but he would have lost a lot of money doing that. This is the last year to cash in with the bigger siging bonuses, that's why we're seeing a lot of defections and will see a lot more.

I'm sure they want to stay and that's why they say that. I believe they're being sincere. It's just tough to turn down the money when it's offered. With the rules, they can get around a $500,000 signing bonus now as opposed to only $170,000 next year. That's the reason Irmen left. He actually wanted to stay and play for the gophers next year but he would have lost a lot of money doing that. This is the last year to cash in with the bigger siging bonuses, that's why we're seeing a lot of defections and will see a lot more.

Which is EXACTLY what people have been trying to point out to you regarding Erik Johnson. Get it? ;)

Which is EXACTLY what people have been trying to point out to you regarding Erik Johnson. Get it? ;)

Yes I get it, but we're talking about players who have already played some college hockey. Johnson hasn't done that yet. Jack Johnson was the third pick last year and he looks like he may stay for a second year. It's VERY rare for a kid to go from the U.S. development team straight to the NHL. In fact I doubt it's ever happened. I think Toews, Kessel, and Oshie will all play a second year of college and they're all first round picks(Toews and Kessel will both be top four picks). Johnson will play one year of college hockey. Z. Parise, Vanek, Heatley, J. Johnson, Kessel, Toews, and Oshie is a list of unbelievable prospects who were or will be first round picks. The majority of them, and maybe all, not only played college hockey but they played it for TWO years. Just count the number of 18 year old defensemen that are in the NHL and you'll see why I think Johnson will play one year of college hockey.

There's no point in rehashing this, we already know our opinions on this subject. I won't turn this thread into, will johnson come to the U or not. In all seriousness, congrats to UND for exceeding EVERYONE'S expectations the last two months of the season. If I'm a Sioux fan I would think that this team would be one of the most memorable.

I don't get it. Not trying to be a smartguy either.

I get why PR, DI, Chucko, Goligoski, Stoa, Wheeler, Lee, Chorney, Finley, Oshie, Smaby, Stafford, Zajac, and the rest of the guys already drafted SHOULD turn pro if given the opportunity this year. They all would receive 1/3 the signing bonus if they return to college next year. That amounts to a paycut the size of a house. A lot of those players will not ever turn out to be full time NHL players and taking that signing bonus is the responsible thing to do.

I don't know if this logic applies to next years draft picks. Are they subjected to the new rules which is basically a 10% max bonus of the contract? If that is the case, Kessel, Johnson, Toews, Okposo, Forney do not have the same motivation as the players who have already been drafted.

Needless to say I'm thinking the Sioux and the Gophers are both going to lose MANY players. Danny and Ryan are just the tip of the iceburg thanks to Holy Cross.

Smaby and Stafford are as good as gone. bucky is right on very few 18 year old pro defensemen. JPar will be back. I think that Oshie and Toews will each play one more year. Zajac is a crap shoot. He will get offered NHL first round money to sign, but his brother is coming to town.

I don't get it. Not trying to be a smartguy either.

I get why PR, DI, Chucko, Goligoski, Stoa, Wheeler, Lee, Chorney, Finley, Oshie, Smaby, Stafford, Zajac, and the rest of the guys already drafted SHOULD turn pro if given the opportunity this year. They all would receive 1/3 the signing bonus if they return to college next year. That amounts to a paycut the size of a house. A lot of those players will not ever turn out to be full time NHL players and taking that signing bonus is the responsible thing to do.

I don't know if this logic applies to next years draft picks. Are they subjected to the new rules which is basically a 10% max bonus of the contract? If that is the case, Kessel, Johnson, Toews, Okposo, Forney do not have the same motivation as the players who have already been drafted.

Needless to say I'm thinking the Sioux and the Gophers are both going to lose MANY players. Danny and Ryan are just the tip of the iceburg thanks to Holy Cross.

The focus of my post was on this sentence:

It's just tough to turn down the money when it's offered.

Like you've pointed out before... NO one knows what any of these guys are going to do until the offer is on the table.

Agreed. The days of the 4-year college "star" are basically gone. Anybody who's drafted the first 2-3 rounds will probably only spend 1-2 years in college. As such, I wonder if the coaches will focus more of their energies on "role" players, or those who aren't stars but whose experience can pay dividends down the round when they're juniors/seniors, instead of filling their rosters with younger uber-talent that may leave after a season or two.

Like you've pointed out before... NO one knows what any of these guys are going to do until the offer is on the table.

I just can't figure out if guys like Johnson/Kessel/Toews/etc... are really in the same boat as current draft picks. I've read the CBA faq but I can't tell if next years picks can get the 30% max transitional bonus, or if they can only get the 10%. Basically guys that return next year are leaving a lot of money on the table if they choose not to sign now.

Here is why it is no surprise that Potulny is playing.

Keith Primeau = melon head. Out forever.

Peter Forsberg = shredded groin. Out unless he believes the Olympics are next week.

Petr Nedved = pu$$ with shredded groin. Saving his energy for his supermodel/SI Swimsuit model wife.

That leaves Mikael Handzus centering perhaps gagne/Knuble, but who knows what Hitch will do.

Jeff Carter's line remains in tact.

Mike Richards will be centering??? Who Knows?

Potulny will get to center the 3r or 4th line.

3 rookie centers = not good even though Carter and Richards are total studs and have played great all year.

I just can't figure out if guys like Johnson/Kessel/Toews/etc... are really in the same boat as current draft picks. I've read the CBA faq but I can't tell if next years picks can get the 30% max transitional bonus, or if they can only get the 10%. Basically guys that return next year are leaving a lot of money on the table if they choose not to sign now.

In case anyone else was wondering, think I found my answer at nhl.com.

How much can unsigned players from the 2003 and 2004 Entry Drafts contract for?

Clubs may sign 2004 draftees to a maximum salary of $984,200 and 2003 draftees to a maximum salary of $942,400. These salaries are based on a 24% rollback to the maximum salary under the previous CBA for the players' respective draft years. Additionally, draftees from prior years may negotiate for a signing bonus not to exceed 30% of his maximum annual compensation. Performance bonuses may be negotiated as per new CBA rules.

This tells me that all the '03 and '04 picks have to give up a LOT to return to school. The '05 and later picks will likely get the same money later and have the same basic choice as underclassmen have had traditionally.

That separates Zajac, Stafford, Smaby, Goligoski, Chucko and Wheeler from the rest. I would be surprised if any of them return, and if they do it won't be their choice.

The choice facing the rest of the '05 and future '06 picks is far less clear. Like Jack Johnson, many of them may decide they are developing nicely in college and since their money won't be less if they wait another year they will return.